Surf Cup's Fate

Crush DM’ed me and said it’s because NorCal has a large population of predominantly boring, socially inept, tech people that are Howard Hughes’s in training therefore they naturally social distance and actually prefer it that way. Ok, Crush didn’t actually DM that to me, but he probably thought it.
Apparently the virus can't pass through a hoody.

Poverty rate for SB County is 17% and RC County is 15%. Bay area is 8% to 10%. Where you have higher poverty you have more people living in small quarters together.

Hand in hand you also have people out and about working then in person.

This is just speculation on my part but if you are working in person day in and day out you might also be more likely to socialize as well (the reasoning being well I might catch the damn thing at work anyway so why am I protecting myself during off hours)

Bro, thank you. It's not a mullet, its just Covid hair. I might be able to pull off a reverse mohawk, but not a mullet.

BTW what's up with the return of the mullet? Its comeback and now its cool?

Poverty rate for SB County is 17% and RC County is 15%. Bay area is 8% to 10%. Where you have higher poverty you have more people living in small quarters together.
I believe that socioeconomic factors are the biggest determinant of Covid infections and deaths.

Bro, thank you. It's not a mullet, its just Covid hair. I might be able to pull off a reverse mohawk, but not a mullet.

BTW what's up with the return of the mullet? Its comeback and now its cool?
What do you mean? It never left and is always cool... said the hick from the sticks.

Hand in hand you also have people out and about working then in person.

This is just speculation on my part but if you are working in person day in and day out you might also be more likely to socialize as well (the reasoning being well I might catch the damn thing at work anyway so why am I protecting myself during off hours)
When I was watching some of the press conferences that included information about low income areas, the number one problem was education on the virus and how it spreads. I talked to one guy a couple of months ago that thought he got COVID from sleeping with the window open. This guy has a reasonable intelligence yet he clearly didn't know how Covid is spread after 6 months in the pandemic. He also was letting his daughter carry on with life because her symptoms were gone.

The woman that I listened to early on in the pandemic said a lack of education was a huge problem in the low income areas yet she was struggling getting the state government organizations to listen and do anything about it. I had to stop listening because the absolute stupidity from our State leadership became depressing to me.

Tom is all stressed trying to get his movie finished. I bet you 100% soccer is safer. Look at how he treat his peeps. Tikes, what a mean old man. Sounds like another EOTL to work for.

In the leaked audio, Cruise called the set of the film the "gold standard" of shooting amid pandemic conditions.

"We are creating thousands of jobs you motherf--kers," he shouted. "I don't ever want to see it again. Ever. And if you don't do it, you're fired, and I see you do it again, you'r fe--king gone."

Tough work conditions. First off, why the heck is he in such hurry to get movie finished? This is crazy.....

When I was watching some of the press conferences that included information about low income areas, the number one problem was education on the virus and how it spreads. I talked to one guy a couple of months ago that thought he got COVID from sleeping with the window open. This guy has a reasonable intelligence yet he clearly didn't know how Covid is spread after 6 months in the pandemic. He also was letting his daughter carry on with life because her symptoms were gone.

The woman that I listened to early on in the pandemic said a lack of education was a huge problem in the low income areas yet she was struggling getting the state government organizations to listen and do anything about it. I had to stop listening because the absolute stupidity from our State leadership became depressing to me.

It's hard to convince people there's an emergency unless you behave as such. First there were the protests....yeah yeah yeah it's a first amendment activity but you had a lot of health care people and politicians joining in too. There was Trump, who for his own reasons has always downplayed COVID and then who caught it (and recovered). Then there's all the D politicians asking people not to socialize for thanksgiving but who then go out and do it. And you have the working classes having to go work in person and all the stores open. Then you go to them and say "we're in an emergency" and they say "really, it doesn't look that way". We even keep saying the hospitals are going to be overwhelmed but it's not like over the last 6 months we've built up emergency care facilities (despite hearing all the talk about a winter surge since the beginning of the summer), we don't have the state setting up state triage centers (like they did in NY at the beginning of the crisis) or opening up the hospital ship.

It's hard to convince people there's an emergency unless you behave as such. First there were the protests....yeah yeah yeah it's a first amendment activity but you had a lot of health care people and politicians joining in too. There was Trump, who for his own reasons has always downplayed COVID and then who caught it (and recovered). Then there's all the D politicians asking people not to socialize for thanksgiving but who then go out and do it. And you have the working classes having to go work in person and all the stores open. Then you go to them and say "we're in an emergency" and they say "really, it doesn't look that way". We even keep saying the hospitals are going to be overwhelmed but it's not like over the last 6 months we've built up emergency care facilities (despite hearing all the talk about a winter surge since the beginning of the summer), we don't have the state setting up state triage centers (like they did in NY at the beginning of the crisis) or opening up the hospital ship.
Yeah the hypocrisy and the restrictions that aren't supported by any data or aren't consistent just makes people hear blah blah blah even when something is important to hear.
I told my adult daughter that her dad Governor Newsom said she had a 10:00 curfew and her answer was....."Was that before he went to a party or after?!" I can guarantee you she didn't hear that from the news.

We even keep saying the hospitals are going to be overwhelmed but it's not like over the last 6 months we've built up emergency care facilities (despite hearing all the talk about a winter surge since the beginning of the summer), we don't have the state setting up state triage centers (like they did in NY at the beginning of the crisis) or opening up the hospital ship.
Where would all the extra doctors and nurses come from? I know when it originally hit NY, a lot of medical people went there from around the country so they had a staffing influx. But now there are surges everywhere. You can build what you want, but it has zero value without the trained staff to run it and you can't manufacture them on any fast track.

London built (repurposed a building more like) a 4000 bed hospital early on, but only treated 51 patients before they closed it down. The meds there said they were nuts as they could never have staffed it, but it looked good.

Anyway, COVID was always going to spread, every lockdown has been and is about slowing it so that things don't get overwhelmed. Treatment has improved no end and fortunately vaccines are now rolling out.

Where would all the extra doctors and nurses come from? I know when it originally hit NY, a lot of medical people went there from around the country so they had a staffing influx. But now there are surges everywhere. You can build what you want, but it has zero value without the trained staff to run it and you can't manufacture them on any fast track.

London built (repurposed a building more like) a 4000 bed hospital early on, but only treated 51 patients before they closed it down. The meds there said they were nuts as they could never have staffed it, but it looked good.

Anyway, COVID was always going to spread, every lockdown has been and is about slowing it so that things don't get overwhelmed. Treatment has improved no end and fortunately vaccines are now rolling out.
They said on the news yesterday that in California they were allowing hospitals to increase the ICU patient to nurse ratio from 2:1 to 3:1. Sounds like a desperation move. SD County at least has ICU beds available.

They said on the news yesterday that in California they were allowing hospitals to increase the ICU patient to nurse ratio from 2:1 to 3:1. Sounds like a desperation move. SD County at least has ICU beds available.
Yes, the number of ICU beds is a slightly misleading measure. They should equally be tracking the number if ICU nurses.

I genuinely don't get some people's attitude when they blame everyone else for temporarily imposing on their lives, while they also expect various other people to go above and beyond continually just so that they don't get put out for a small (relatively) period of time, in extraordinary circumstances.

The self absorbed attitude of people continually astounds me. There's a hell of a lot of mature toddlers wandering about.

I genuinely don't get some people's attitude when they blame everyone else for temporarily imposing on their lives, while they also expect various other people to go above and beyond continually just so that they don't get put out for a small (relatively) period of time, in extraordinary circumstances.

The self absorbed attitude of people continually astounds me. There's a hell of a lot of mature toddlers wandering about.
Q, do you have a job? Have you ever started your own business? Have you ever lost everything and have -$100 in bank? Honest Q because I dont know you. Thank you and TGIG to you :)

Q, do you have a job? Have you ever started your own business? Have you ever lost everything and have -$100 in bank? Honest Q because I dont know you. Thank you and TGIG to you :)
I've had my share of ups and downs and been at a lot lower than -$100. I've also been financially impacted in the last 10 months, but its temporary. Everything I have or own, I have earned, nothing given, literally zero, ever.

None of that is important. There are a long line of people on this thread and others paying $500+ or more per weekend to have their kids play soccer in AZ. I'm going out on a limb and assuming they aren't hurting too much financially from the pandemic. Their sense of entitlement and me/me/me attitude is astounding.

You are 100% correct that a lot of people are genuinely hurting due to this, due to businesses closing down and jobs being lost. I've repeatedly said that getting businesses open and people back at work and kids going to school (in person) should be the priority. There have to be protocols around doing those as safely as possible, but if we all pull together and do the right thing, its really not very difficult.

I also think kids should be playing sports, but from a priority perspective its low down the list. I do find it bizarre that people who are adamant and loud about their kids playing soccer are also extremely negative about the very protocols that, if everyone followed, would allow that to happen.

Cake & eat it .... let everyone or anyone else suffer, just not me or mine.

I couldn't agree with you more, its shameful how people are willing to support the shutdown of entire industries and destroy people's livelihoods (and all the negative impacts that follow) out of their fear of catching a virus that is overwhelmingly unlikely to impact them. More disturbing is that some are willing to place the bulk of the burden on children and not allow them to attend school and to negatively impact our society in the long term. Some are so self absorbed that they can't understand how the mandates disproportionally impact the underprivileged further increasing the gap between the haves and the have nots. So self absorbed that they allow fear, and not science, to drive the decision making. Fortunately, we have some mature judges that believe decisions should be made based upon the science.

Our first responders, particularly nurses, deserve all the gratitude and true hero status. We also owe a huge debt of gratitude to our grocery workers, retail clerks, food service employees, etc that have put aside their fears and showed up to work everyday. I also would like to give a shout out to all the delivery workers, they've kept what remains of our economy flowing and are now integral to the roll out of the vaccine. I just hope that once we are through this we can return some of our demand for products back to small business, my fear is that too much has been lost to the uber online retailers and that we've lost too many small business to the lockdown.

I've had my share of ups and downs and been at a lot lower than -$100. I've also been financially impacted in the last 10 months, but its temporary. Everything I have or own, I have earned, nothing given, literally zero, ever.

None of that is important. There are a long line of people on this thread and others paying $500+ or more per weekend to have their kids play soccer in AZ. I'm going out on a limb and assuming they aren't hurting too much financially from the pandemic. Their sense of entitlement and me/me/me attitude is astounding.

You are 100% correct that a lot of people are genuinely hurting
due to this, due to businesses closing down and jobs being lost. I've repeatedly said that getting businesses open and people back at work and kids going to school (in person) should be the priority.
I got a family member to help. You see, my dd decided not to email D1 coaches back in 8th grade. She was excited about the date June 15th. All the experts on here and at the clubs told us the coaches need to see new highlights, not ones from 2018. So we took the drive on a chance of a life time that she would finally get a chance to talk to a coach. I'm happy to say that it worked out for her and was worth the $500 that a family member helped us with. Thanks family member :)

Regarding 100% that some are "genuinely hurting" is really saying, "They got picked as non-essential and SOL all the while Jimmy's Pot Shop & Delivery Service is killing it and is bringing in cash like you wouldnt believe. The problem with this country right now is that millions got picked as non-essential from the power players that said who is essential and what is and what is not essential. Maybe church is essential for some and the strip joint for others. That is why people are pissed off.

I couldn't agree with you more, its shameful how people are willing to support the shutdown of entire industries and destroy people's livelihoods (and all the negative impacts that follow) out of their fear of catching a virus that is overwhelmingly unlikely to impact them. More disturbing is that some are willing to place the bulk of the burden on children and not allow them to attend school and to negatively impact our society in the long term. Some are so self absorbed that they can't understand how the mandates disproportionally impact the underprivileged further increasing the gap between the haves and the have nots. So self absorbed that they allow fear, and not science, to drive the decision making. Fortunately, we have some mature judges that believe decisions should be made based upon the science.

Our first responders, particularly nurses, deserve all the gratitude and true hero status. We also owe a huge debt of gratitude to our grocery workers, retail clerks, food service employees, etc that have put aside their fears and showed up to work everyday. I also would like to give a shout out to all the delivery workers, they've kept what remains of our economy flowing and are now integral to the roll out of the vaccine. I just hope that once we are through this we can return some of our demand for products back to small business, my fear is that too much has been lost to the uber online retailers and that we've lost too many small business to the lockdown.
Why is it unreasonable for someone to act out of fear that someone else will be harmed? Do all of my actions have to benefit me personally, or am I permitted to do things for the good of society at large?

At the moment, driving hundreds of miles to stay in a hotel in AZ is a really bad way to pump money into the economy. If you want to spend money to help employment, call up your local restaurant and order yourself a feast. Buy enough so you don’t have to cook lunch tomorrow.

Why is it unreasonable for someone to act out of fear that someone else will be harmed? Do all of my actions have to benefit me personally, or am I permitted to do things for the good of society at large?

At the moment, driving hundreds of miles to stay in a hotel in AZ is a really bad way to pump money into the economy. If you want to spend money to help employment, call up your local restaurant and order yourself a feast. Buy enough so you don’t have to cook lunch tomorrow.
I really don't disagree with you, in fact, looking at the "bigger picture" was my point. Just a matter of perspective I guess based upon what angle you look at this. It's not unreasonable to have fear for the health of others, its unreasonable to make decisions based on those fears that aren't supported by science or that have a small likelihood of helping others, particularly at the known harm to another group.

Between the two, I agree order a bunch of takeout. Please tip 20% if you can afford it. I'm not so delusional that I think that people are going to Arizona to help the economy. Maybe their going for the mental health of their kids, or may be they are going for selfish reasons. Whatever reason is fine with me because there is no evidence that these outdoor soccer events are spreader events. Just be smart when you are out there.

Back