Surf Cup's Fate

Apple just closed all CA stores 5 days before Christmas.

Online still open. But I don’t think they’d give up on that much revenue if they thought it was overblown.
phew, good thing the tournament isnt in CA.

would it be more palatable for you if they flew 45 minutes instead?
It would be more palatable if people would wait, just like we are in AZ for the HS season.

Not saying don't come, just don't come now. But it's your choice, which is a decent enough argument under most circumstances.

92% capacity ICU/inpatient beds, staff not available, ED nearly full everyday. Sounds like a place I'd want to go for Christmas. But I get it, your choice and not mad about it. A bit confused, not mad.

I will tell you this, the governor of this state is being pushed hard to mimic measures being taken in other states, specifically CA. I don't believe lockdowns are very effective at combating the virus, but they are effective at screwing small business. I also know that politicians still get paid during lockdowns and will leverage useless data to achieve their goals. They are also good at getting fake fired up over headlines.

It would be more palatable if people would wait, just like we are in AZ for the HS season.

Not saying don't come, just don't come now. But it's your choice, which is a decent enough argument under most circumstances.

92% capacity ICU/inpatient beds, staff not available, ED nearly full everyday. Sounds like a place I'd want to go for Christmas. But I get it, your choice and not mad about it. A bit confused, not mad.

I will tell you this, the governor of this state is being pushed hard to mimic measures being taken in other states, specifically CA. I don't believe lockdowns are very effective at combating the virus, but they are effective at screwing small business. I also know that politicians still get paid during lockdowns and will leverage useless data to achieve their goals. They are also good at getting fake fired up over headlines.

Did I understand you correctly? The governor of AZ is being pushed hard to mimic the measures being taken by one of only two states worse than your own? Why wouldn't they push him to mimic a state that is much better off than his own if he has to mimic anyone?

Did I understand you correctly? The governor of AZ is being pushed hard to mimic the measures being taken by one of only two states worse than your own? Why wouldn't they push him to mimic a state that is much better off than his own if he has to mimic anyone?
Yes, you read that correctly. obviously you are no politician, which is good. If you are an az native, then you should know what's going on locally, if you aren't a native, do some research.

This isn't about common sense, it's about elected and non elected officials wanting to seem as if they are doing something.

This is the environment we are currently operating in. You decide which direction AZ is being pushed to go. You are already there. Tucson and Pima county are under curfew.

Yes, people still have a choice to come to AZ for the holidays, I doubt we close borders. It's your choice. But coming at the behest of an organization that is encouraging travel at the height of a hysteric pandemic that is front page news ----is just dumb and does nothing for anyone here in AZ. But have at, justify it anyway you can, even framing it as your right and freedom to do so,, which it is, but really...

The main reason the upper midwest has low daily case counts is that they ran out of people to infect.

I'm not sure copying North Dakota will get you the results you want.

Online still open. But I don’t think they’d give up on that much revenue if they thought it was overblown.
More people buying online than walking into a retail store right now. Not giving up that much revenue at all.

Not nobody. Hound has been advocating indoor dining since May. Still is. Arizona for him, not LA. They’ve had a lot of indoor dining open, and have had very high case rates as a result.
As usual more fact free assertions. If indoor dining is the cause of the rise in cases in AZ we would have seen it months ago. Instead our rise mirrors the timeline of pretty much every other state.

We didn't start eating out in Oct in AZ. We have been eating INSIDE since May.

[

They have so much money they could close for a year and be ok. Come on man!!!

As usual more fact free assertions. If indoor dining is the cause of the rise in cases in AZ we would have seen it months ago. Instead our rise mirrors the timeline of pretty much every other state.

We didn't start eating out in Oct in AZ. We have been eating INSIDE since May.
True dat - Definitely seasonality involved, kinda like the changing of the license plates.

We have stricter guidelines at our work than we did 3 months ago. Didn't matter. 75 employees. 5 cases of Covid in the last 2 weeks, 10 others quarantined with some symptoms or had housemates that had Covid. We had made it through October and November with no cases. December with everyone inside isn't helping. Missing my whole engineering department (2 people) and half my tooling department (2 people).

As a Latino myself, I gotta say this is riskier than going to a tournament.......

Yup. This is the most frustrating thing about all of this. Soccer is nowhere on the radar of being risky. There's mountains of data supporting this. Our October numbers were fantastic. What changed? Seems pretty obvious to me. People let their guard down, hung out with friends, gathered indoors in groups. Whether that was for Halloween or Thanksgiving. Plus for counties that made it to orange and yellow...they saw more indoor dining happening. I suspect we're probably going to be screwed after Xmas. All of our politicians are complete morons. You have the Orange Man at the federal level more interested in his own finances and staying out of jail. Then you got Newsom dining at the french laundry doing exactly what he's telling people not to do. It's so incredibly stupid. If only people voted for people who actually cared about their constituents as opposed to their party and lobbyists. In the end our kids get the raw end of the deal because adults don't know how to act like adults.

Last edited:
Yup. This is the most frustrating thing about all of this. Soccer is nowhere on the radar of being risky. There's mountains of data supporting this. Our October numbers were fantastic. What changed? Seems pretty obvious to me. People let their guard down, hung out with friends, gathered indoors in groups. Whether that was for Halloween or Thanksgiving. Plus for counties that made it to orange and yellow...they saw more indoor dining happening. I suspect we're probably going to be screwed after Xmas. All of our politicians are complete morons. You have the Orange Man at the federal level more interested in his own finances and staying out of jail. Then you got Newsom dining at the french laundry doing exactly what he's telling people not to do. It's so incredibly stupid. If only people voted for people who actually cared about their constituents as opposed to their party and lobbyists. In the end our kids get the raw end of the deal because adults don't know how to act like adults.

It's not just the politicians. But also the health experts. Fauci with the masks but when the cameras aren't on he takes them off (he's been caught 4 or 5 times now). Birx telling people not to gather but then she has a Thanksgiving/not-Thanksgiving. Fergueson (the architect of lockdowns) who then takes a booty call.

To some extent, though, one problem we have is that all this goes against human nature. If these experts can't honor their own rules, it's really not surprising the politicians and the peons can't. Remember, if we really think we want people to distance for the length of time of the emergency and wear masks around others, we are asking people who aren't married or who aren't living together to basically be celibate for 1 year plus.

Besides gatherings the other issue is work. As the San Diego numbers showed, Tom Cruise has a point....if you work you socialize. Los Angeles freeways are almost full to normal during rush hour, and that's people working. No one could shut the economy down for a year +.

A better solution would have been to have saved the lockdown bullet for the winter wave they told us all was coming, instead of wasting it during the fall and summer.

Back