Surf Cup's Fate

Should know tomorrow, but doesn't look promising:

According to the Wednesday, Dec. 2 council meeting agenda, the City’s parks and recreation department will recommend to council to only allow in-state teams, ban spectators, and cancel all field reservations until metrics return to September levels.

Phoenix City Council could consider canceling field reservations along with banning spectators and out of state teams from using city sports facilities.

According to the Wednesday, Dec. 2 council meeting agenda, the City’s parks and recreation department will recommend to council to only allow in-state teams, ban spectators, and cancel all field reservations until metrics return to September levels.

Based on the parts in bold, I doubt we know the fate of Surf Cup tomorrow.

Phoenix City Council could consider canceling field reservations along with banning spectators and out of state teams from using city sports facilities.

Based on the parts in bold, I doubt we know the fate of Surf Cup tomorrow.
You think metrics will return to September levels in 4 weeks? That ain't happening anywhere.

Unlikely if it drops as it did this summer. It would have to be a very fast drop and also have to factor in the time Surf need before the tournament.

View attachment 9557

I agree September numbers are highly unlikely, given the curve, and that doesn’t bode well... If the council considers and votes in favor of that recommendation, then Surf Cup would be done as scheduled.

I’d be very interested in discussing the curve, in the off topic covid section, if it mirrors the Summer curve. From crafting policies to deal with seasonal respiratory illnesses, with an eye to the impact of partial herd immunity (less brush to burn) in off seasonal periods vs possible preservation of in-season medical capacity when surge is expected... to the ethical considerations of any such policies.

I agree September numbers are highly unlikely, given the curve, and that doesn’t bode well... If the council considers and votes in favor of that recommendation, then Surf Cup would be done as scheduled.

I’d be very interested in discussing the curve, in the off topic covid section, if it mirrors the Summer curve. From crafting policies to deal with seasonal respiratory illnesses, with an eye to the impact of partial herd immunity (less brush to burn) in off seasonal periods vs possible preservation of in-season medical capacity when surge is expected... to the ethical considerations of any such policies.
The "new" Good News Thread in off-topic2 is a good spot. There's a bit of that on the thread already. Ask a question, or pose your thoughts.

One technicality here is this is the “City of Phoenix” city council. Reach 11 is in Phoenix, but Scottsdale Sport Park is not.

Would be interesting to see if Surf Cup organizers look for more space outside of Phoenix city limits: Scottsdale, Mesa, Peoria.

Nothing will compare to Reach11, but...desperate times if you want to hold an event despite Covid concerns.

You can send the youngers down to Grande Sports World leaving plenty of fields available in Phoenix metro area, outside of city limits, to host the olders.

Surf missed golden opportunity to have Surf Cup in UT in the Summer and in AZ in early Fall.
I completely understand that they were waiting to use SD fields until the last moment but anyone with a little common sense knew it's not happening since NCAA no recruiting rules.
Maybe using all the affiliates they have all over the country would allow them to have Surf Cup in other States? Don't know.
I can bet though that Surf Cup in AZ in January is NOT happening. @crush?

Surf missed golden opportunity to have Surf Cup in UT in the Summer and in AZ in early Fall.
I completely understand that they were waiting to use SD fields until the last moment but anyone with a little common sense knew it's not happening since NCAA no recruiting rules.
Maybe using all the affiliates they have all over the country would allow them to have Surf Cup in other States? Don't know.
I can bet though that Surf Cup in AZ in January is NOT happening. @crush?
I would have to agree. There are other complexes to use but the geographical footprint would be much bigger. Could they pull it off? Unlikely. Not having access to Reach is tough and makes the logistics difficult. With mounting pressure, don't know if other city councils have the appetite for taking this on.

Scottsdale sports complex has 10 fields, but only 4 under lights. I think Copper Sky in Maricopa has only 4 lighted fields (8 total).

At least one of AZ's US Senators speaking out yesterday against youth sports too:

If you have the means and interest for alternate plans for New Year's holiday, that might be something to start considering. I assume Surf will give back deposits 100% but you might not hear from them until Christmas week judging from past tournament communication. Hence, the reason for these PSA-like posts.

At least one of AZ's US Senators speaking out yesterday against youth sports too:

If you have the means and interest for alternate plans for New Year's holiday, that might be something to start considering. I assume Surf will give back deposits 100% but you might not hear from them until Christmas week judging from past tournament communication. Hence, the reason for these PSA-like posts.
Ahh, how glorious, another politician doing politicky things. Jumping on bandwagons is her thing.

I would have to agree. There are other complexes to use but the geographical footprint would be much bigger. Could they pull it off? Unlikely. Not having access to Reach is tough and makes the logistics difficult. With mounting pressure, don't know if other city councils have the appetite for taking this on.

Scottsdale sports complex has 10 fields, but only 4 under lights. I think Copper Sky in Maricopa has only 4 lighted fields (8 total).
1) am all for playing, and have a dog in the hunt with Surf Cup

2) am furious w/ Newsom (despite being a dyed in the wool dark blue Dem) for the incompetent delay on youth sports guidance earlier this Fall, which directly led to teams playing out of state

3) looked up the testing numbers this morning for the different AZ counties. - https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/...se-epidemiology/covid-19/dashboards/index.php.

Maricopa County (which includes Phoenix) is showing 2,265 new cases on 12/1 out of 10,352 new tests, about 22% positivity.

San Diego, by contrast, is showing 1,378 new cases on 11/30 out of 15,377 new tests, about 9% positivity.

4) seems like - it's tough to tell without trend lines from AZ DPH - the AZ house is on fire, covid speaking. But, for the olders - 02s and 03s - it's brutal re: college.

1) am all for playing, and have a dog in the hunt with Surf Cup

2) am furious w/ Newsom (despite being a dyed in the wool dark blue Dem) for the incompetent delay on youth sports guidance earlier this Fall, which directly led to teams playing out of state

3) looked up the testing numbers this morning for the different AZ counties. - https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/...se-epidemiology/covid-19/dashboards/index.php.

Maricopa County (which includes Phoenix) is showing 2,265 new cases on 12/1 out of 10,352 new tests, about 22% positivity.

San Diego, by contrast, is showing 1,378 new cases on 11/30 out of 15,377 new tests, about 9% positivity.

4) seems like - it's tough to tell without trend lines from AZ DPH - the AZ house is on fire, covid speaking. But, for the olders - 02s and 03s - it's brutal re: college.
For whatever reasons (pick one - hubris, power hungry, etc) CA has not done right by its youth sports. Maybe Gavi just doesn't trust anyone?

Based on the mayo clinic numbers below, CA #s are much better than AZ. You guys have been under a more severe lockdown than us in AZ. While fatality rates are trending down (even with increase in positivity), CA is implementing more measures. I'm not smart enough to figure out if the mayo clinic site is a good site to review data and make decisions.

Maybe Surf Cup needs to head to Bullhead or Yuma, or Coachella.

I couldn’t agree more with this comment. Furious is the right word.

He missed several opportunities to allow kids to get back to it, but kept the blinders on. So much riskier for families to travel out of state to play...COVID, hours driving through the desert, staying in hotels, eating out, etc... It’s shocking that he continued to ignore these realities for months. Very poor leadership.

No chance he gives a single inch on the issue now. Not with COVID raging through the Fall and Winter months. That ship has sailed. Our kids are stuck in this no-win/no-play situation in CA until this pandemic is over.

I could not agree more. Newsome and his team have failed our youth and many community businesses. There was several windows of opportunity to get youth sports programs going safely and help local businesses, save jobs and really provide our youth with a much needed outlet for the tons of emotions, anxiety and fear many of them are living with.

I couldn’t agree more with this comment. Furious is the right word.

He missed several opportunities to allow kids to get back to it, but kept the blinders on. So much riskier for families to travel out of state to play...COVID, hours driving through the desert, staying in hotels, eating out, etc... It’s shocking that he continued to ignore these realities for months. Very poor leadership.

No chance he gives a single inch on the issue now. Not with COVID raging through the Fall and Winter months. That ship has sailed. Our kids are stuck in this no-win/no-play situation in CA until this pandemic is over.
While I think CA should be playing soccer, the Governor made his call. He didn't make it "riskier for families to travel out of state ..." etc. Parents did that.

They made a choice, they are responsible. I would probably have done the same, btw, and I'd accept it was my choice and any consequences were on me.

Ahh, how glorious, another politician doing politicky things. Jumping on bandwagons is her thing.
It is also so nice to see certain posters giddy that Surf may have to cancel. It is a travesty what has been done to our children. Seems like some hate Surf so much they are ok that the kids will miss out on playing a game they love. Hide behind the safety aspect and claim anyone who dare travel is placing others at risk let alone their own child. All a bunch of nonsense.

Back