D1 college soccer under threat

The aftermath that will hit ALL athletic departments soon. WCC doesn’t have football but lost money from the cancellation of the Basketball and continue
To lose money in housing and tuition.

The aftermath that will hit ALL athletic departments soon. WCC doesn’t have football but lost money from the cancellation of the Basketball and continue
To lose money in housing and tuition.

This sucks.

That's including the Big XII and the SEC saying they are moving forward? You've been tracking . . . how long until the ACC drops? And do you expect the Big XII and SEC to take all the way to the first to occur of (i) an outbreak or (ii) a completed season or do you think they will, ultimately, pull the plug?

My daughter who plays at USD told us that the this year (as far as eligibility is concerned) will not impact players. Seems like it's a gimme year for teams that want to move forward and play but kids will still get that year back. That's great for some kids and could possibly get a year of grad school paid for!

The title of this thread is - Div 1 College Soccer Under Threat. Universities are losing a lot of money and if things continue the way they are - I think that it has to be under threat. Are the Golden Years over? Universities will have to drop sports/cut athletic budgets and tuition costs will rise. I wonder if the better US and International players will skip the US college system and go straight to Europe or the NWSL and the quality of college soccer drops dramatically. The US economy will take years to recover - will parents stop wasting money on travel sports and kids start focusing on academics?

Are the Golden Years over?
Yes.

I wonder if the better US and International players will skip the US college system and go straight to Europe or the NWSL and the quality of college soccer drops dramatically.
Yes.

he US economy will take years to recover - will parents stop wasting money on travel sports and kids start focusing on academics?
NEVER!!!! LOL... but they should.

@Mystery Train Universities are struggling at the moment to stay afloat. How will there be scholarship offers like before - especially for non-revenue generating sports like soccer?

Maybe it's time for the NWSL to expand or have a second tier/development league for the players that want to continue playing (and make some money) when they graduate from high school.

@Mystery Train Universities are struggling at the moment to stay afloat. How will there be scholarship offers like before - especially for non-revenue generating sports like soccer?

Maybe it's time for the NWSL to expand or have a second tier/development league for the players that want to continue playing (and make some money) when they graduate from high school.
umm...isnt NWSL struggling as well? how are they going to support a 2nd tier/development league when they can barely pay their players now?

A second tier league exists, called WPSL. www.wpslsoccer.com

It’s a place to play, but not really a place to make money. NWSL can barely pay their top tier players.

But, tickets are cheap and the games are good.

WPSL is only a summer league.

If NWSL is struggling to pay players in a country where the women's team just won the World Cup and have been ranked #1 for a long time there is a problem. But if your player is only playing soccer for a college scholarship then you probably don't care.

WPSL is only a summer league.

If NWSL is struggling to pay players in a country where the women's team just won the World Cup and have been ranked #1 for a long time there is a problem. But if your player is only playing soccer for a college scholarship then you probably don't care.
Title 9 made girls soccer a big time business for a few and the girls dont get paid. They get admitted to a U with a few scholarship bucks and that's it. No pro at all really, yet its the females who did all the work. We need a pro league like Spain does with their goats. 99% of us were taught to go to college and if you dont, you fail in the game of life. That is BS right there and brain washing.

athletic budgets and tuition costs will rise.
If they raise tuition, they only make things worse. College costs have far outpaced inflation now for some time.

will parents stop wasting money on travel sports and kids start focusing on academics
If universities stopped making their campuses look like country clubs (fancy dorms, eateries, etc.). Much of the cost increase in college relates to their building projects to make the campuses look cooler vs others...which in the end have very little to do with academics...but have raised the cost of going to college.

It is funny...many are not doing in person classes...but at the same time still have students in dorms.Why? Well they can charge for online tuition and so whether they are in class or not matters little. But if the students are not in the dorms..that is a big hit financially.

This is what we are seeing in our AZ universities right now in terms of what they have students doing.

I think there will be smaller rosters in some programs where they try to keep the same scholarship levels, thus having to spread the $ over a smaller number of players. There will be other schools that eliminate sports (similar to what Stanford did on a different scale) to save money, there will be coaching and resource cuts. Smaller, less funded programs will have to do with fewer new supplies, re-using equipment, etc. So yeah, the "golden days" are done. However, Title 9 will still require scholarship opportunites be there for women's soccer, so it won't be zero. I'd also like to point out the the scholarship "opportunities" in WoSo as it is have been greatly exaggerated or overestimated in our youth soccer culture.

Europe pays better than the NWSL in most cases believe it or not. Lot's of players are going over on loans or are asking to be waived so that they can play in Europe. The NWSL doesn't have a plan for the spring yet. They are focused on playing friendlies in September and October and many of the players have gotten wise to this and are going overseas. They only talk about the WNT players that go but believe me their are dozens of players headed to Europe.

I think there will be smaller rosters in some programs where they try to keep the same scholarship levels, thus having to spread the $ over a smaller number of players. There will be other schools that eliminate sports (similar to what Stanford did on a different scale) to save money, there will be coaching and resource cuts. Smaller, less funded programs will have to do with fewer new supplies, re-using equipment, etc. So yeah, the "golden days" are done. However, Title 9 will still require scholarship opportunites be there for women's soccer, so it won't be zero. I'd also like to point out the the scholarship "opportunities" in WoSo as it is have been greatly exaggerated or overestimated in our youth soccer culture.

I don't think that roster size will be affected since the far end of the bench doesn't see any meaningful money anyway. Not nearly as many players are getting money as people seem to think.

I don't think that roster size will be affected since the far end of the bench doesn't see any meaningful money anyway. Not nearly as many players are getting money as people seem to think.
Heard directly from my kid's coach that rosters will be smaller going forward. It has to do not as much specifically with the scholarship money, but with resources in general, number of players travelling, getting athletic dept. support. There's so much that these schools spend on athletes that isn't scholarship money, from academic counseling, tutors, nutritionists, trainers, medical treatment, sometimes special housing and meals, etc. Also many coaches take the approach of spreading out their scholarship money in smaller amounts across a larger group, especially for underclassmen, as it's hard to justify a large dollop of money to a freshman when your program isn't super-funded. This is true even of a really good recruit, given the likelihood of them making a big impact over established upperclassmen on the field is pretty slim. This may be more true for smaller programs, and not so much the top power 5 who are getting big minutes from superstar freshmen, but I do think the number of opportunities across all levels of women's soccer and all non-revenue generating sports will be fewer in the coming years due to economic impact.

Heard directly from my kid's coach that rosters will be smaller going forward. It has to do not as much specifically with the scholarship money, but with resources in general, number of players travelling, getting athletic dept. support. There's so much that these schools spend on athletes that isn't scholarship money, from academic counseling, tutors, nutritionists, trainers, medical treatment, sometimes special housing and meals, etc. Also many coaches take the approach of spreading out their scholarship money in smaller amounts across a larger group, especially for underclassmen, as it's hard to justify a large dollop of money to a freshman when your program isn't super-funded. This is true even of a really good recruit, given the likelihood of them making a big impact over established upperclassmen on the field is pretty slim. This may be more true for smaller programs, and not so much the top power 5 who are getting big minutes from superstar freshmen, but I do think the number of opportunities across all levels of women's soccer and all non-revenue generating sports will be fewer in the coming years due to economic impact.

My response was specific to scholarship money and I hadn't considered some of the other factors you mentioned. You make some good points there.

Back