D1 college soccer under threat

jpeter

PREMIER
I'm generally optimistic but really concerned for those revenue negative college sports.

After already losing march madness and football attendance and revenue now in peril I hoping there is a way out?

Division I college soccer under threat:
b

byPaul Kennedy @pkedit,
Leaders of 18 college coaches' organizations representing so-called non-revenue or Olympic sports, including United Soccer Coaches, have sent a letter to NCAA president Mark Emmert opposing the request for emergency legislative relief from 27 of the 32 Division I conferences to reduce or waive several Division I membership requirements.

These conferences want to give their schools the flexibility to cut expenses related to running their athletic programs in response to revenue shortfalls caused by the coronavirus pandemic and economic downturn.

Save College Sports:
Letter | Petition

The waiver request that has leaders of non-revenue Division I sports the most fearful: reducing the requirement about the minimum number of sports a school must sponsor will put many non-revenue sports on the chopping block.

Division I landscape: NCAA Division I conferences are broken into two subdivisions: FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) schools and non-FBS schools.

FBS schools play in one of the 10 conferences that have top-flight college football programs (Power 5 and Group of 5). Non-FBS schools are mostly smaller schools, some of which have football and compete in the FCS (Football Championship Subdivision)

FBS schools must field at least 16 teams, with a minimum of six men's teams and a minimum of eight women's teams. Non-FBS Division I schools must field at least 14 teams. (Division II requirements include: minimum of five men's teams and five women's teams or four men's teams and six women's teams. Division III requirements include: minimum of five men's teams and five women's teams.)

Soccer participation: Of the 32 conferences, 31 sponsor women's soccer and 24 sponsor men's soccer though not all schools in a conference have varsity soccer (more so on the men's side, where several conferences have the minimum number of members to qualify for an automatic bid in the NCAA Tournament).

In 2018-19, soccer ranked second in all Division I women's sports in terms of participation (behind only track & field) and fourth in all Division I men's sports in terms of participation (behind football, track & field and baseball).

Revenue threat: College athletics is particularly vulnerable to a drop in revenues in response to the pandemic and economic downturn.

“We’re an enterprise that is solely operated by those who choose to support us with their discretionary income," Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte told The Athletic recently. "Whether it be television, season tickets, all the people who donate money — all of those things are predicated on having events.” Already, $375 million in television revenues were lost with the cancellation of the NCAA men’s basketball tournament in March.

The big concern is that the college football season will not go forward in the fall, or be delayed until a later date -- yes, there is talk of playing in the winter and spring in 2021. "If we can’t play football this fall," Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard told The Athletic. "I mean it’s Ice Age time."

(Everyone agrees that college sports won't return until campuses are re-opened for students to return and resume on-site classes.)

Who are seeking waivers? The five Group of 5 conferences -- the smaller FBS conferences -- want four-year waivers, while the 22 non-FBS conferences want two-year waivers with an option to extend them to up to four years.

“A blanket waiver for relief will provide institutions the ability to make prudent and necessary decisions for the financial well-being of the institution," the commissioners of the Group of Five said in a letter to Emmert on April 10.

What's the response of the non-revenue sports? The Intercollegiate Coach Association Coalition argues slashing opportunities for students in non-revenue sports -- 141,483 student-athletes participated in 2018-19 -- is not the solution.

It noted that graduation rates and donation rates in these sports are higher than their non-athletic peers, and they generated $3.6 billion in tuition and fees to their universities, an amount nearly equal what it costs to provide opportunities to play collegiate sports.

On the waiver request, the non-revenue coaches group's position is:

"Reducing the minimum sports sponsorship requirement that would open the door to eliminating sports should not be an option. We are all in this together, and we are ready, eager, and willing to partner with the NCAA to find creative solutions for the challenges to come. America’s students have had so much taken from them. Now is not the time to cut them off from yet another critical institution that makes university life so special."

Power 5 conferences (FBS):
*ACC, *Big Ten, Big-12, *Pac-12, SEC.

Group of 5 conferences (FBS):
*American, *Conference USA, *Mid-American, Mountain West, *Sun Belt.

It's not exactly tuition at the UC and Cal State schools - it's student activity fees of several hundred dollars per year per student at UC schools.

Amid coronavirus, Cal State Fullerton to hold fall classes online

NCAA already made statements that college Athletics will only return when the students are back on campus.

Don't think Fullerton is a D1 but they do have athletic programs that are going to be affected.

NCAA already made statements that college Athletics will only return when the students are back on campus.

Don't think Fullerton is a D1 but they do have athletic programs that are going to be affected.

Fullerton is D1. They play in Big West Conference.

I think I’d be okay if college soccer disappeared forever because I do not see the benefit. The games are not entertaining. The style of play is not good for development. Most people on this forum openly admit that it’s about the university and not soccer so, those folks can play club soccer in college and focus on academics.
Also, MLS/NWSL would be forced to figure out a better development pathway for kids who’s priority is soccer if college soccer goes away. Could someone please tell why loosing college soccer is a bad thing? Are people just scared of change?

I think I’d be okay if college soccer disappeared forever because I do not see the benefit. The games are not entertaining. The style of play is not good for development. Most people on this forum openly admit that it’s about the university and not soccer so, those folks can play club soccer in college and focus on academics.
Also, MLS/NWSL would be forced to figure out a better development pathway for kids who’s priority is soccer if college soccer goes away. Could someone please tell why loosing college soccer is a bad thing? Are people just scared of change?

Losing college soccer is a bad thing because 9_% of female college soccer players don't play beyond that and an education has enormous value to them. And I think many are VERY entertaining. Especially if dad and DD can live vicariously through those young ladies they see on tv. Furthermore, how many of those that DO go professional ever make enough to provide a decent lifestyle? And what do you think is "good for development"? Where are there well developed female soccer players, that skipped college in the U.S., making a good living? And I think it IS mostly for the school. Nobody is playing basketball at Kentucky because of anything other than Calipari and the NBA. Similar deal, right? You can play for Stanford, UCLA, Cal and so many more, and know you walk away with a career rather than living with 2 other players, in a 3 bedroom apartment, so you can eat.

I'll assume the womens soccer at the BIG west and WCC will survive as their funding comes from tuition.

Tuition revenue is going to be reduced and budgets tighten no two ways about that. Some won't be able to afford anything but community colleges going forward and others won't see the value on paying the bigger bucks for online when they can do the same locally at a community for a lot less.

I'm almost sure some form of college soccer will exist but scholarship money for that is igoing to be reduced in the short term at some point or already has.

About money...

Parents have a vested interest.

Some Club coaches supplement their income by also coaching College, scouting, etc.

Choosing leagues, chasing the scholarships, trying to get preferred admissions all for what? if college soccer goes away or gets reduced the youth soccer pyramid of money crumbles somewhat.

I’ve got a few years until my oldest is in college- but I think if she only has “online” classes as an option, she’d be taking a gap year. Classes are important. But the social aspect, the connections, the group work are what make college worth the crazy amount of money they charge.

I’ve got a few years until my oldest is in college- but I think if she only has “online” classes as an option, she’d be taking a gap year. Classes are important. But the social aspect, the connections, the group work are what make college worth the crazy amount of money they charge.

100% on that for our College Junior Daughter, 2020 Incoming Son not happy either about the on-line prospects.

Both went to great lengths and many visits to select universities that they loved from the campuses, atmosphere,, fellow students,, professors, facilities, housing, and the like.

100% on that for our College Junior Daughter, 2020 Incoming Son not happy either about the on-line prospects.

Both went to great lengths and many visits to select universities that they loved from the campuses, atmosphere,, fellow students,, professors, facilities, housing, and the like.
Gap year makes sense for incoming students if only online classes are offered because they are going to miss out on the important social aspects of freshmen year where they make friends that will help guide them through college. If classes are online my college junior and sophomore plan to load up on their harder classes since they will have more time without internships, research, work and parties.

Losing college soccer is a bad thing because 9_% of female college soccer players don't play beyond that and an education has enormous value to them. And I think many are VERY entertaining. Especially if dad and DD can live vicariously through those young ladies they see on tv. Furthermore, how many of those that DO go professional ever make enough to provide a decent lifestyle? And what do you think is "good for development"? Where are there well developed female soccer players, that skipped college in the U.S., making a good living? And I think it IS mostly for the school. Nobody is playing basketball at Kentucky because of anything other than Calipari and the NBA. Similar deal, right? You can play for Stanford, UCLA, Cal and so many more, and know you walk away with a career rather than living with 2 other players, in a 3 bedroom apartment, so you can eat.
So if 90% or more don’t play after college, why not focus on school and play soccer for fun? Playing D1 soccer is not a prerequisite for attending university. Parents can still show up to their kids pick up games and cheer them on. They can live vicariously through their kid getting a degree and achieving their primary goal.
Basketball and football are self sustaining and athletes get full scholarships. I believe scholarship money for soccer is provided by basketball and football so the analysis is very different. I personally find it disturbing that the sports that are dominated by black athletes are subsidizing sports dominated by white athletes that are from communities that have traditionally excluded black people.
I think a system that is good for development is one that actually adheres to the rules of the game and doesn’t have unlimited substitutions. I think college soccer sufficed previously because the world is so sexist and the US was one of the few places supporting women.
I get that there’s no money in women’s soccer but who cares if it makes a young lady happy. I also know several broke lawyers, so maybe we should advise against law school too? I personally believe that if a person focuses on what they love that the money will come because it makes the heavy lifting easier.

So if 90% or more don’t play after college, why not focus on school and play soccer for fun? Playing D1 soccer is not a prerequisite for attending university. Parents can still show up to their kids pick up games and cheer them on. They can live vicariously through their kid getting a degree and achieving their primary goal.
Basketball and football are self sustaining and athletes get full scholarships. I believe scholarship money for soccer is provided by basketball and football so the analysis is very different. I personally find it disturbing that the sports that are dominated by black athletes are subsidizing sports dominated by white athletes that are from communities that have traditionally excluded black people.
I think a system that is good for development is one that actually adheres to the rules of the game and doesn’t have unlimited substitutions. I think college soccer sufficed previously because the world is so sexist and the US was one of the few places supporting women.
I get that there’s no money in women’s soccer but who cares if it makes a young lady happy. I also know several broke lawyers, so maybe we should advise against law school too? I personally believe that if a person focuses on what they love that the money will come because it makes the heavy lifting easier.

I think you should be banned from ever posting again for such rubbish!

Couple questions for you...Did you ever play college athletics? Do you know what it is about, as a participant? For the vast majority it’s not about going pro...that’s for the elite of the elite of the elite. If you did by play I would be very surprised based on the post.

We all know there is no money in pro soccer for women and most men in the US in general. That’s not breaking news as you mentioned.

There is so much that be learned from sport, being on a team, leading, contributing, understanding your role, dealing with adversity, defeat, success, the list goes on and on...most importantly in my opinion competition.

Representing your school, pride, etc. There is so much to gain from playing/participating in competitive sports especially at the collegiate level.

Pair these learnings with a great school and you have a pretty good combination and should have some great opportunities ahead. In fact, there are many companies with leadership and management programs that place a significant emphasis on prior participation in competitive sports in University. There are reasons for that.

Take a look at this....

Who knows what is going to happen with collegiate sports. It’s going to be a whole new world. I’m sure there will be some fallout and there will be shuttering of some sports and programs. It’s sad.

My wife and I both played sports in college, some of our college teammates are our best friends still to this day. Still keep in touch with our coaches who were great roles models and teachers. Speaking for myself, I would regret not having those experiences.

In my mind It’s not about the quality, if you like watching the product on tv, if they play possession or direct, it’s about the experience for the individual and what they get from it. Experiences outside the classroom are just as important and those in it and can shape you just as much. It would be a shame for that experience to not be available for kids.

Maybe you can get those same experiences playing for a school club team, I don’t know...it just sounds and feels different to me (Like youth Club compared to Rec - different mentalities). Maybe I’m wrong and just not open to it yet. We don’t know what the future will bring and the 350 Women's Div 1 Programs out there may contract some. Time will tell. It’s really rough out there.

From your other post regarding “Self-Sustaining Sports”, university funding, paying athletes etc., lots of topics to cover...that’s a fun one we can get down a rabbit hole on sometime..we can bring in the arts, and other programs at universities and although not revenue generating create a lot of value for the school to attract applicants interested in those areas. Too much to cover.

I guess if you think the product is trash and the experience does not matter, why are on this board?

Couple questions for you...Did you ever play college athletics? Do you know what it is about, as a participant? For the vast majority it’s not about going pro...that’s for the elite of the elite of the elite. If you did by play I would be very surprised based on the post.

We all know there is no money in pro soccer for women and most men in the US in general. That’s not breaking news as you mentioned.

There is so much that be learned from sport, being on a team, leading, contributing, understanding your role, dealing with adversity, defeat, success, the list goes on and on...most importantly in my opinion competition.

Representing your school, pride, etc. There is so much to gain from playing/participating in competitive sports especially at the collegiate level.

Pair these learnings with a great school and you have a pretty good combination and should have some great opportunities ahead. In fact, there are many companies with leadership and management programs that place a significant emphasis on prior participation in competitive sports in University. There are reasons for that.

Take a look at this....

Who knows what is going to happen with collegiate sports. It’s going to be a whole new world. I’m sure there will be some fallout and there will be shuttering of some sports and programs. It’s sad.

My wife and I both played sports in college, some of our college teammates are our best friends still to this day. Still keep in touch with our coaches who were great roles models and teachers. Speaking for myself, I would regret not having those experiences.

In my mind It’s not about the quality, if you like watching the product on tv, if they play possession or direct, it’s about the experience for the individual and what they get from it. Experiences outside the classroom are just as important and those in it and can shape you just as much. It would be a shame for that experience to not be available for kids.

Maybe you can get those same experiences playing for a school club team, I don’t know...it just sounds and feels different to me (Like youth Club compared to Rec - different mentalities). Maybe I’m wrong and just not open to it yet. We don’t know what the future will bring and the 350 Women's Div 1 Programs out there may contract some. Time will tell. It’s really rough out there.

From your other post regarding “Self-Sustaining Sports”, university funding, paying athletes etc., lots of topics to cover...that’s a fun one we can get down a rabbit hole on sometime..we can bring in the arts, and other programs at universities and although not revenue generating create a lot of value for the school to attract applicants interested in those areas. Too much to cover.

I guess if you think the product is trash and the experience does not matter, why are on this board?
I agree about the benefit of women playing soccer. However, I think a kid can pick up the same leadership qualities playing club sports. I’m sure you could have also met great friends in a wide array of other activities at your university too-so I don’t find this point compelling. I am also not advocating to take away soccer, I am advocating for an improvement of the current soccer environment. My frame of reference is Mexico where young ladies can play for professional clubs and attend university. The young ladies in Europe are playing for professional clubs and attending university too. I think if all MLS clubs had women’s pro teams that would be a much safer and beneficial environment for our young ladies. If college soccer goes away that will force pro teams to do what they should already be doing.
The reason I am on this board is to share my perspective just like you and everyone else. I call it how I see it and will continue to do so.

I agree about the benefit of women playing soccer. However, I think a kid can pick up the same leadership qualities playing club sports. I’m sure you could have also met great friends in a wide array of other activities at your university too-so I don’t find this point compelling. I am also not advocating to take away soccer, I am advocating for an improvement of the current soccer environment. My frame of reference is Mexico where young ladies can play for professional clubs and attend university. The young ladies in Europe are playing for professional clubs and attending university too. I think if all MLS clubs had women’s pro teams that would be a much safer and beneficial environment for our young ladies. If college soccer goes away that will force pro teams to do what they should already be doing.
The reason I am on this board is to share my perspective just like you and everyone else. I call it how I see it and will continue to do so.

Fair enough. I think we are in different lanes. For our DD the end goal (can’t speak for others) is this helps her get into a university suited for her to get her started on her adult journey. The goal is for her get a quality education, build a life, family, and career. Professional soccer is not even a thought. If the unlikely opportunity did come, maybe help subsidize her for a year or two for the experience. It’s a hard way to make a living and not much money in the Women’s game, yet. $50k Max and $20k Min for the NWSL, do the international leagues pay better? I don’t know. Hopefully that changes for those that want to pursue it. The pro pathway on the women’s side just seems like a very tough road and there are many more financially rewarding options available. Best wishes to you are your DD working toward and achieving the goal of going pro.

Back