D1 college soccer under threat

Myocarditis is nothing new. It can be caused by any virus. There are studies all over the web about it's effects on athletes and on those in the military. The thing that is unique now is that better medical care is occuring that is catching prior to people dying (which is great) and medical issues associated with Covid get a much greater attention by the media.
Yeah...the recent small studies are showing that it is more prevalent with COVID than the Flu. Once again, we need larger studies but as I understand it, several of the universities don't want to chance it because of the latest studies.

"Overall, 78% of recovered COVID-19 patients showed signs of some type of heart abnormality. The most common heart problem was inflammation of the heart muscle, or myocarditis, experienced by 60% of patients. Some patients also showed signs of inflammation of the pericardium, the tissue that surrounds the heart. Myocarditis occasionally occurs with influenza, adenovirus and other respiratory viruses, though it's much less common, for instance showing up in less than 10% of cases of flu, according to a 2012 study in the journal Influenza Research and Treatment. "

"Our findings demonstrate that participants with a relative paucity of preexisting cardiovascular [conditions] and with mostly home-based recovery had frequent cardiac inflammatory involvement" after COVID-19, the authors said."

Right now they just don't know. It's all in such upheaval that it's hard for her to make any decisions beyond the immediate. It's possible that they'll extend her offer another year, but then she'd be staying there (out of state) for another year, and it's too late for her to just declare this a gap year and sit out (rent & leases and classes already paid for). Maybe she'll get some games in the spring and then that's it. Soccer career over. Terrible, because she'd worked so hard to get to be a starter at D1 level and possibly compete for a championship and it all seems to be evaporating right when she could almost touch it. As bad as it is for my kid to lose her freshman year, at least she can hope for future seasons. It's way worse for those at the end who aren't going to get to finish. Same for all those seniors playing D1 football who won't be going pro (the vast majority). This was going to be the culmination of their football careers. That said, I can't blame the schools for pulling the plug. If the decision was on my head, I can't see how I'd come to any other conclusion.
Well said and thanks for sharing. There's how many layers to think about thats unspoken.

My freshmen doesn't want to use up a year of eligibility time with the Pac-12 postponing to spring & /wo any post season he's very close to opting out of competition this academic year and get a additional year of eligibility as a result.
Question will be, if a player opts out of school this year, will he/she be able to keep the spot once everything returns to normal next year?
I would assume that training will be happening, even though the season is canceled.

College Soccer 360
@CS360updates

·
2h

Update: looks like 162 of 327 DI w-soccer teams still intend to play (49.54 %, below the needed 50% for NCAA Championship tournament). Cancellations: BigTen–Pac12–MAC–MtWest–CAA–Ivy–Northeast–SWAC–AEast–A10–BigWest–MAAC–Patriot–Summit–Big South; also teams ODU+EWU #CollegeSoccer

And there it is. No NCAA tournament
will they make an exception being that this is an exceptional year?

It would be a sham championship if the NCAA did hold one. A championship has everyone, not just a few teams who decided to play. I believe the NCAA is toast after this, and their insistence on punting responsibility to the conferences will be their undoing.

It would be a sham championship if the NCAA did hold one. A championship has everyone, not just a few teams who decided to play. I believe the NCAA is toast after this, and their insistence on punting responsibility to the conferences will be their undoing.

NCAA regulations require that at least half the teams registered to play in a given level (DI, DII, DIII) must agree to participate in the championship process in order for NCAA to sponsor a tournament. With the multiple conference announcements this week to suspend all college sports, they are already well below 50%.

Interesting thread covering that topic toward its end starts here --

Like many of you, I have been thinking about this so much and how the situation impacts the student athletes at every level - from the kid in her or his last college year to the incoming freshman to the high school kids who should be feeling one step closer to playing at the next level. @Simisoccerfan and I were going to share a game together in Hawaii; I would have been texting with @SpeedK1llz about his child and mine; I would have been watching the Pac-12 GKs with keen interest as there may have been 3 starters from the same youth club; and I would have been watching my kid experience something totally new, really challenging and absolutely special. What a difference 8 months makes (when the US U18s were getting ready to play China's U18s at the end of Jan, the families were alerted to the steps the Federation, Customs and the state of FL were taking to make sure the athletes were safe to enter the country so, yeah, we've known for a while).

It's such a terrible bummer for all considered. And, yet, what else could they have done? I mean, I get that there are differences in risk tolerance and one can advocate a position based on the available stats and that it's all sort of abstract until close friend or family member gets sick. But even if the statistical risk is low, the potential impact is enormous to a single life, to a team, to an athletic program, to a campus and broader community. I support the Pac's decision because, to me, there is still far too much that is unknown and we have failed to put ourselves in the best position to protect ourselves against that huge unknown. Will college football be the trigger, like the SEC's decision was for the Mississippi state flag? Will that result in a more cohesive national plan (even if through a series of state-by-state commitments)?

Good luck, all. I wish good physical and mental health to all of you and your families.

With WCC out that leaves only these conferences who have not yet announced their fall plans -

American Athletic - 6 men's teams
ACC - 12
Atlantic Sun - 7
Conference USA - 7
Horizon - 11
Missouri Valley - 5
Southern - 7
Sun Belt - 5

With WCC out that leaves only these conferences who have not yet announced their fall plans -

American Athletic - 6 men's teams
ACC - 12
Atlantic Sun - 7
Conference USA - 7
Horizon - 11
Missouri Valley - 5
Southern - 7
Sun Belt - 5

That's including the Big XII and the SEC saying they are moving forward? You've been tracking . . . how long until the ACC drops? And do you expect the Big XII and SEC to take all the way to the first to occur of (i) an outbreak or (ii) a completed season or do you think they will, ultimately, pull the plug?

That's including the Big XII and the SEC saying they are moving forward? You've been tracking . . . how long until the ACC drops? And do you expect the Big XII and SEC to take all the way to the first to occur of (i) an outbreak or (ii) a completed season or do you think they will, ultimately, pull the plug?
@dk_b I think they will all pull the plug. Why risk it for only 6 games when you can have double the about of games in the Spring. Not too mention falls coming and we might have another spike in #'s.

No men's soccer at the conference level. There may be some schools whose teams play men's soccer in other conferences.

Like many of you, I have been thinking about this so much and how the situation impacts the student athletes at every level - from the kid in her or his last college year to the incoming freshman to the high school kids who should be feeling one step closer to playing at the next level. @Simisoccerfan and I were going to share a game together in Hawaii; I would have been texting with @SpeedK1llz about his child and mine; I would have been watching the Pac-12 GKs with keen interest as there may have been 3 starters from the same youth club; and I would have been watching my kid experience something totally new, really challenging and absolutely special. What a difference 8 months makes (when the US U18s were getting ready to play China's U18s at the end of Jan, the families were alerted to the steps the Federation, Customs and the state of FL were taking to make sure the athletes were safe to enter the country so, yeah, we've known for a while).

It's such a terrible bummer for all considered. And, yet, what else could they have done? I mean, I get that there are differences in risk tolerance and one can advocate a position based on the available stats and that it's all sort of abstract until close friend or family member gets sick. But even if the statistical risk is low, the potential impact is enormous to a single life, to a team, to an athletic program, to a campus and broader community. I support the Pac's decision because, to me, there is still far too much that is unknown and we have failed to put ourselves in the best position to protect ourselves against that huge unknown. Will college football be the trigger, like the SEC's decision was for the Mississippi state flag? Will that result in a more cohesive national plan (even if through a series of state-by-state commitments)?

Good luck, all. I wish good physical and mental health to all of you and your families.
100%. Well said.

Question will be, if a player opts out of school this year, will he/she be able to keep the spot once everything returns to normal next year?
I would assume that training will be happening, even though the season is canceled.

Was arranging his dorm room when the PAC-12 cancel came down, enrolled so not opting out of college and they have been working out so just strongly leaning toward opting out of a competition for this season not college, redshirt path but maybe a little different

He trying to get clarification on the topic along the lines what that above article mentions. His scholarship won't be effected for this year at least according to his coach and advisers.

"The D-I Council has recommended for the NCAA’s Board of Governors to provide fall sport student-athletes who compete and then opt out of future participation or have a season cut short due to COVID-19: (1) an extension of their five-year period of eligibility; and (2) an additional season of competition if they participate in 50% or less of the maximum number of competitions allowed in each sport by Division I rules.

Members will further discuss additional Board of Governors requirements, including a prohibition on canceling, reducing or not renewing athletics aid for student-athletes who opt out of participation due to COVID-19 and required medical coverage for COVID-19 if a student contracts the virus through sports participation.”

Young man might be a little biggest concern was how small the dorm & the space: the bed in there is for "middle schoolers" he texted me the other day, used to a nice big comfy queen size higher end ortho bed, and all the other goodies he has a home. Adjustments son I told him, get used to it or bargain with the roomie to fit a bigger bed, not sure there room in there for queen plus another one, desks, and closets space of if you can bring in your own stuff?

@younothat might be a good move. Glad to see you dd is really weighing her options.

@gotothebushes thanks for the mention our older daughter is a medical student 3rd year doing well but going to be tough to get in all the clinical hours with how things are going.

Barely got in enough hours last go around after they were cut off for a few months. She decided to focus on college, her education, and civic mentoring she does with kids rather than play soccer in college. She thought long and hard about that decision and has been happy with it so I'm proud of her for making a difference and that decision. The work shes done with the kids this summer virtually has been very rewarding for her.

Was arranging his dorm room when the PAC-12 cancel came down, enrolled so not opting out of college and they have been working out so just strongly leaning toward opting out of a competition for this season not college, redshirt path but maybe a little different

He trying to get clarification on the topic along the lines what that above article mentions. His scholarship won't be effected for this year at least according to his coach and advisers.

"The D-I Council has recommended for the NCAA’s Board of Governors to provide fall sport student-athletes who compete and then opt out of future participation or have a season cut short due to COVID-19: (1) an extension of their five-year period of eligibility; and (2) an additional season of competition if they participate in 50% or less of the maximum number of competitions allowed in each sport by Division I rules.

Members will further discuss additional Board of Governors requirements, including a prohibition on canceling, reducing or not renewing athletics aid for student-athletes who opt out of participation due to COVID-19 and required medical coverage for COVID-19 if a student contracts the virus through sports participation.”

Young man might be a little biggest concern was how small the dorm & the space: the bed in there is for "middle schoolers" he texted me the other day, used to a nice big comfy queen size higher end ortho bed, and all the other goodies he has a home. Adjustments son I told him, get used to it or bargain with the roomie to fit a bigger bed, not sure there room in there for queen plus another one, desks, and closets space of if you can bring in your own stuff?

@gotothebushes thanks for the mention our older daughter is a medical student 3rd year doing well but going to be tough to get in all the clinical hours with how things are going.

Barely got in enough hours last go around after they were cut off for a few months. She decided to focus on college, her education, and civic mentoring she does with kids rather than play soccer in college. She thought long and hard about that decision and has been happy with it so I'm proud of her for making a difference and that decision. The work shes done with the kids this summer virtually has been very rewarding for her.
Stories I love hearing!

Okay NCAA has shutdown all fall championships. The good thing is that Mark spoke strongly about trying to have Fall sport championships in the Spring instead of taking the D2 and D3 route. If this doesn't happen and Spring is just a few games or no games everyone will have another year of elgibility. If it does happen and your kid sits out their Scholarship will be protected for this year. The key is most scholarships renew year by year and if your kid sits out what are the chances the coach makes changes to the scholarship offer for next year?

Back