D1 college soccer under threat

Looks like the Pac 12 took things a bit further and said no sports till next year. This is the first conference I have seen saying Basketball won't start on time.

Looks like the Pac 12 took things a bit further and said no sports till next year. This is the first conference I have seen saying Basketball won't start on time.
To be honest 1 of 2 things have to happen to have a spring season.

1. People saying enough and lets move on with life
2. A vaccine

Without one of those 2 things happening...come the end of December we will be reading similar headlines from various conferences regarding spring sports.

In what way? Losing scholly $$? Being decommitted?

Dubs, I am only speculating. But if they need to find athletic money to bring seniors back and also extend the current other three clases another year it needs to come from somewhere. Sure the NCAA might allow teams to go above the 14 scholarship limit for a few years but with no Football they might not have the money to do that. Put it this way would you rather invest scholarship money in another year for your impact players or let them go and invest in unproven, future talent?

1. People saying enough and lets move on with life
2. A vaccine

Without one of those 2 things happening...come the end of December we will be reading similar headlines from various conferences regarding spring sports.
Vaccine, when out, will not be available for everyone for a while. Doctors and 1st responders will be a priority. Judging that Athletes (specially soccer) are at the bottom of the list, I suspect Spring soccer is not an option.

1. People saying enough and lets move on with _sickness and death_
2. A vaccine

I fixed it for you.

Vaccine, when out, will not be available for everyone for a while. Doctors and 1st responders will be a priority. Judging that Athletes (specially soccer) are at the bottom of the list, I suspect Spring soccer is not an option.
100% agree. There will be a vaccine available but distribution will be an issue and as a result there won’t be college soccer until fall. I’m very certain there will be a 2021 fall season for colleges that have not killed their programs.

Dubs, I am only speculating. But if they need to find athletic money to bring seniors back and also extend the current other three clases another year it needs to come from somewhere. Sure the NCAA might allow teams to go above the 14 scholarship limit for a few years but with no Football they might not have the money to do that. Put it this way would you rather invest scholarship money in another year for your impact players or let them go and invest in unproven, future talent?
That makes sense. Really hope things work out for 2021s and beyond. What a massive cluster F.

Agree about distribution-- however, there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel. Many vaccine candidates are already ramping up production in anticipation of wide distribution once they pass trials, so that first wave of doctors, first responders, nursing home caregivers, etc, will likely all be able to be vaccinated within weeks. Then you'll probably get high-risk candidates based on age and doctors recommendations, then opening up to general use shortly thereafter. And of course last will be the antivaxxers who finally realize they won't be able to do anything in society without proof of being vaccinated.

I think there are other scenarios that would allow for a spring season prior to a vaccine - eg, mass deployment of rapid testing (the technology already exists); better therapeutic options; a more significant intervening lock-down; national policy of, and high levels of compliance with, mask wearing/social distancing (not necessarily isolation or quarantine).

Maybe loss of football across the country will have the requisite impact on people who might otherwise be reluctant to comply.

Other countries have brought their #s way, way down - even some that started out struggling - and even their "spikes" are in the hundreds, not the thousands. If the #s can be brought down and congregant living can have some controls to limit density, I don't think it's just (i) vaccine or (ii) come what may.

Nebraska and Iowa were the two B10 schools that voted to continue football in the Fall. Let them play a best-of-eleven series, one game a week, to settle the conference championship.

A vaccine is a reality. Some work well, others not as well. We could find ourselves getting multiple shots. Once that occurs we can all feel more comfortable about resuming our normal lives.

vaccines are being mass produced now. Let’s hope we guessed right. If so maybe we see spring soccer.

Nebraska and Iowa were the two B10 schools that voted to continue football in the Fall. Let them play a best-of-eleven series, one game a week, to settle the conference championship.
They will play until one of their 350 pound lineman contracts COVID and gets very ill.

Back