D1 college soccer under threat

I agree that there are many questions that need to be answered with main two being will there be a Spring season and does it count as a year of eligibility? If not, how many seniors are coming back? Are those seniors getting money (often programs backload offers that can increase in the later years), will the school extend the money into the final year? Since no 2021 grads have signed offers yet (just verbals) things can change for them too. I know that in normal circumstances colleges don't want to back out of verbals but who knows now since a verbal is not binding. I also would assume that Juniors, Sophomores and Freshmen all will get another year of elgilibilty if they want. It is very reasonable to expect colleges not to extend as many offers in the next few years. Instead they may chose to either not spend the full 14 scholarships or increase the amount the current players that are making an impact get.
In my opinion, it will be a case by case for each school and their budgets designated for the Soccer program..I think 2022 And beyond maybe more effected than 2021. 2021 the coaches and schools will honor their verbals mostly, while cutting back in future recruits.

I have an idea. Each college program has a travel team ((scholarship player)) and a practice team. 22 on the travel roster and 18 practice players. 40 girls for each program. Home games all the girls can suit up. Some PT might even be able to crack the travel team because of injury or some girls quit. All the PT parents can "buy" the spot. This is the way to raise funds for the soccer program.

The aftermath that will hit ALL athletic departments soon. WCC doesn’t have football but lost money from the cancellation of the Basketball and continue
To lose money in housing and tuition.
Most housing contracts were already signed when lock down came, one reason so many kids are at school doing on line leaning instead of from home. $$$

The title of this thread is - Div 1 College Soccer Under Threat. Universities are losing a lot of money and if things continue the way they are - I think that it has to be under threat. Are the Golden Years over? Universities will have to drop sports/cut athletic budgets and tuition costs will rise. I wonder if the better US and International players will skip the US college system and go straight to Europe or the NWSL and the quality of college soccer drops dramatically. The US economy will take years to recover - will parents stop wasting money on travel sports and kids start focusing on academics?
We have always focused on academics! This school year will be tough for that. If you are a senior you have three solid years of grades. Sophomores and Juniors will really have to step it up.

DD’s school now fully online through September due to many Covid cases after two weeks of school. Practices are also on hold. School Newspaper blames the school for a poor plan and absolves student responsibility by saying if the school can’t have a plan that works how can you expect students to behave responsibly. This sums up with what is wrong with the world. People need to be responsible for their actions. If students actually wore masks, did not go to large parties, and actually did their daily health checks I bet their plan would have worked. It’s always the few that don’t give a damn that screw things up for others and then blame them too.

with colleges losing millions in the loss or housing and revenue from football it will be hard to believe there will be any money for 2021 and on recruits. I can see current juniors graduating and the scholaregion unit attached to them Vanishing.

with colleges losing millions in the loss or housing and revenue from football it will be hard to believe there will be any money for 2021 and on recruits. I can see current juniors graduating and the scholaregion unit attached to them Vanishing.

There are minimums in sports by gender and scholarships per gender that schools need to meet to remain D1 but those minimums are substantially lower than the maximums allowed and what most schools currently fund.

DD’s school now fully online through September due to many Covid cases after two weeks of school. Practices are also on hold. School Newspaper blames the school for a poor plan and absolves student responsibility by saying if the school can’t have a plan that works how can you expect students to behave responsibly. This sums up with what is wrong with the world. People need to be responsible for their actions. If students actually wore masks, did not go to large parties, and actually did their daily health checks I bet their plan would have worked. It’s always the few that don’t give a damn that screw things up for others and then blame them too.

The human brain isn't fully mature until age 25. Anyone who believed that young adults would act responsibly has never been a young adult....

Continued good fortune to you and your player.

Everyone who is on this forum needs to read this article, it should be mandatory! If only. A good reminder in all the hyperbole.

The good news is that most cases of myocarditis are mild. Also, it's recommended that if you have myocarditis you refrain from competitive sports for 3-6 months to reduce your risk of sudden cardiac death.

Cross posted from BAD NEWS THREAD. Not sure we can draw assumptions that this is mild myocarditis yet.

New Insights on How COVID-19 Causes Heart Damage

The sarcomere disruptions we discovered would make it impossible for the heart muscle cells to beat properly,” explains Conklin, who is also a professor of medicine, cellular and molecular pharmacology, and ophthalmology at UCSF.

The scientists also noted that the nuclear DNA seemed to be missing from many of the heart cells. Without DNA, cells can no longer perform any normal functions.

“It’s the cell equivalent of being brain dead,” adds Conklin. “Even after scouring scientific literature and conferring with colleagues, we cannot find these abnormal cell features in any other cardiac disease model. We believe they are unique to SARS-CoV-2 and could explain the prolonged heart damage seen in many COVID-19 patients.”

Cross posted from another thread since I wanted to better understand Myocarditis:

I’m glad this was brought up, it is important to understand Myocarditis (from Myocarditis Foundation):

The most common cause of Myocarditis is a Viral Infection. acute Myocarditis is a well known complication of influenza infection. The clinical expression varies from asymptomatic to fulminant myocarditis, which can result in severe hemodynamics dysfunction, necessitating high-dose catechilolamimes and mechanical circulatory support.

Many viruses are associated with myocarditis, including viruses that cause the common cold (of which are 5 existing Covid strains that predate Covid 19), Covid 19, hepatitis B and C, parvovirus and herpes.

WH
Cross posted from another thread since I wanted to better understand Myocarditis:

I’m glad this was brought up, it is important to understand Myocarditis (from Myocarditis Foundation):

The most common cause of Myocarditis is a Viral Infection. acute Myocarditis is a well known complication of influenza infection. The clinical expression varies from asymptomatic to fulminant myocarditis, which can result in severe hemodynamics dysfunction, necessitating high-dose catechilolamimes and mechanical circulatory support.

Many viruses are associated with myocarditis, including viruses that cause the common cold (of which are 5 existing Covid strains that predate Covid 19), Covid 19, hepatitis B and C, parvovirus and herpes.

Interesting the timing of this article:

Article released after the positive meeting between the Big 10 Commissioner and President of the US.;
And, where's the study from the other college conferences that are playing? Of the 30% of athletes who have this, what is the result?

WH

Interesting the timing of this article:

Article released after the positive meeting between the Big 10 Commissioner and President of the US.;
And, where's the study from the other college conferences that are playing? Of the 30% of athletes who have this, what is the result?

What do you mean by "what is the the result?" beyond the result that the athletes now have a heart condition that, under any circumstance, would have put them on the shelf for a time?

And are you asking about the "study from the other college conferences" that shows that it's safe for them to play? Asked another way (which may be what you are asking), does such a study exist?

I was listening to the radio today and there was a report that 8 Nebraska football players are suing the Big 10. I am really surprised that they could find counsel to take on that fight. I have not read the complaint but if they are asking the court to require that the Big 10 plays, I can't imagine that there would be that many winning legal arguments given the uncertainty of the science regarding the level of risk to the athletes.

The article I posted never used the word Myocarditis (i.e. heart inflammation). It describes the heart infection (what causes Myocarditis) as unprecedented.

"Even after scouring scientific literature and conferring with colleagues, we cannot find these abnormal cell features in any other cardiac disease model. We believe they are unique to SARS-CoV-2 and could explain the prolonged heart damage seen in many COVID-19 patients."

The Myocarditis is the warning sign, and we have no idea whether or not it will go away quickly (like the seasonal flu), or will be more prolonged.

In fact, the Myocarditis Foundation also posted many articles saying while Myocarditis is seen in 20 - 30% of recovered patients it's too soon to draw any conclusions about recovery:

Myocarditis Foundation Articles

Implications for long-term COVID recovery

"There are no data on how acute treatment of COVID-19 may affect the convalescent phase or long-term cardiac recovery and function. Myocarditis from other viral pathogens can evolve into overt or subclinical myocardial dysfunction, and sudden death has been described in the convalescent phase of viral myocarditis. This raises concerns for patients recovering from COVID-19."

More news out of Penn State and for anyone who thinks Covid isn't a big deal since their young athlete won't die

More news out of Penn State....to quote another poster, “the message has been consistently inconsistent”.

Last edited:
Back