D1 college soccer under threat

More news out of Penn State....to quote another poster, “the message has been consistently inconsistent”.

While 15% is better than 30-35%, it still is not good.

Agreed.

We don't know enough about this virus to say ANYTHING for certain, but if there is a chance of permanent heart damage I am concerned (more for my kids myself - TBH). If you are looking for consistency ... best of luck.

There's a reason other countries are taking this more seriously. Maybe they know more about the virus than we do, or maybe they have been hit by so many viruses that they know an abundance of caution is the best play until more is known.

I wonder if the myocarditis mentioned had been an issue with the professional athletes as well. You see people like Russell Westbrook on the court less than a few weeks after testing positive.

Concerning yes, far it is a lot more common than we know. Your kid could have had it during some point in their childhood already and you never knew it.

WH

Interesting the timing of this article:

Article released after the positive meeting between the Big 10 Commissioner and President of the US.;
And, where's the study from the other college conferences that are playing? Of the 30% of athletes who have this, what is the result?
Do the other conferences really want to know? $$$$ Are they doing the expensive testing required, blood tests, MRI'a that are necessary to determine who has it or not. If they found out their athletes had myocarditis would they cancel their season? $$$$

Do the other conferences really want to know? $$$$ Are they doing the expensive testing required, blood tests, MRI'a that are necessary to determine who has it or not. If they found out their athletes had myocarditis would they cancel their season? $$$$
Do they do this for Influenza A or B? How about Hepatitis? All of which are also causes of Myocarditis......

I wonder if the myocarditis mentioned had been an issue with the professional athletes as well. You see people like Russell Westbrook on the court less than a few weeks after testing positive.

Concerning yes, far it is a lot more common than we know. Your kid could have had it during some point in their childhood already and you never knew it.

Westbrook makes over $20 million a year and is making a calculated risk. He already got COVID. He is going to want to have that money for any potential medical issues in the future.

Maybe, if they think the penalty from a wrongful death lawsuit is worse than the penalty of a lost season.

Bingo.

Do they test after the above? I don't believe they ever have.

Prior to covid were colleges and sports teams regularly testing for myocarditis?

college sports - and national teams - routinely require cardiac testing. As I wrote a lot either upthread or on a different one (it was several weeks ago), some countries require cardiac testing for all youth athletes (even non-elite).

if your child is playing elite athletics she or he should be cardiac checked at least once, if not periodically. Certain conditions (like HCM), while not frequent, are not rare and can resort in sudden cardiac death. This is independent of covid.

if a college sports Doc is reporting this, it is likely he is quite aware of the generalized risk (which is documented as being far lower rates but still not insignificant and should be watched if you have an athlete who has recoveredfell from the flu)

college sports - and national teams - routinely require cardiac testing. As I wrote a lot either upthread or on a different one (it was several weeks ago), some countries require cardiac testing for all youth athletes (even non-elite).

if your child is playing elite athletics she or he should be cardiac checked at least once, if not periodically. Certain conditions (like HCM), while not frequent, are not rare and can resort in sudden cardiac death. This is independent of covid.

if a college sports Doc is reporting this, it is likely he is quite aware of the generalized risk (which is documented as being far lower rates but still not insignificant and should be watched if you have an athlete who has recoveredfell from the flu)
Thanks for the response.

Bingo.

Do they test after the above? I don't believe they ever have.

Prior to covid were colleges and sports teams regularly testing for myocarditis?
I think that college cardiac testing was what saved Shaquille Oneal's son, right? He had never been fully tested, and when he got to UCLA to play basketball they found a major cardiac issue. So maybe before they did not test after the flu, they do seem to test everyone on the way in...

I think that college cardiac testing was what saved Shaquille Oneal's son, right? He had never been fully tested, and when he got to UCLA to play basketball they found a major cardiac issue. So maybe before they did not test after the flu, they do seem to test everyone on the way in...

most college athletes are wearing heart monitors as well. They keep data on cardiac functioning. That, with AEDs in arenas and fields, means the likelihood of sudden cardiac death is much lower now. And if the athlete shows signs of structural damage - whether temporary or (as in my case) permanent - they are not seeing the field. No matter how much an adoring fan base wants to see TDs for old State U! Boola boola!

Yeah that is what I was asking...ie do they. So good stuff.

What do you mean by "what is the the result?" beyond the result that the athletes now have a heart condition that, under any circumstance, would have put them on the shelf for a time?

And are you asking about the "study from the other college conferences" that shows that it's safe for them to play? Asked another way (which may be what you are asking), does such a study exist?

I was listening to the radio today and there was a report that 8 Nebraska football players are suing the Big 10. I am really surprised that they could find counsel to take on that fight. I have not read the complaint but if they are asking the court to require that the Big 10 plays, I can't imagine that there would be that many winning legal arguments given the uncertainty of the science regarding the level of risk to the athletes.
Big 10 is now backtracking quickly on this false narrative study. Folks get educated

Back