D1 college soccer under threat

Dubs, I am only speculating. But if they need to find athletic money to bring seniors back and also extend the current other three clases another year it needs to come from somewhere. Sure the NCAA might allow teams to go above the 14 scholarship limit for a few years but with no Football they might not have the money to do that. Put it this way would you rather invest scholarship money in another year for your impact players or let them go and invest in unproven, future talent?
Well, in the end it will be up to the student. Four years and graduate or go a fifth year and postpone plans for after graduation especially if the majority of your friends are graduating and moving on with their lives. Certainly some difficult decisions for student athletes. Who knows, maybe even some juniors and sophomores decide to give it up after a year long break if there is no spring league/competition.

Sorry to hear about your daughter experience @ SD_Soccer. I hope things work out with you and your family.
Appreciate it. She is doing pretty well. She is disappointed, but excited to be back at school and training in the fall. We had been expecting this for a long time, so it was not a surprise to her.

I think the grades are fluid. A 3.5 did not qualify for admission for a school on a pre-read but that schools coach referred my son to another school a there is good opportunity there.

Well, in the end it will be up to the student. Four years and graduate or go a fifth year and postpone plans for after graduation especially if the majority of your friends are graduating and moving on with their lives. Certainly some difficult decisions for student athletes. Who knows, maybe even some juniors and sophomores decide to give it up after a year long break if there is no spring league/competition.
And some of the very top players might decide to go Pro. Would you want to go through a 5th year of school in order to play college soccer or would you prefer to graduate and go pro? I would think the latter(?)

Sorry if this article was already posted.

"Myocarditis, inflammation of the heart muscle, has been found in at least five Big Ten Conference athletes and among several other athletes in other conferences, according to two sources with knowledge of athletes' medical care. The condition is usually caused by a viral infection, including those that cause the common cold, H1N1 influenza or mononucleosis. Left undiagnosed and untreated, it can cause heart damage and sudden cardiac arrest, which can be fatal. It is a rare condition, but the COVID-19 virus has been linked with myocarditis with a higher frequency than other viruses, based on limited studies and anecdotal evidence since the start of the pandemic."

"Dr. Matthew Martinez, director of sports cardiology for Atlantic Health System in New Jersey, said he has received calls from physicians from at least a dozen Power 5 schools who have identified more than a dozen athletes with some post-COVID-19 myocardial injury. He said about half of them had symptoms."

"Myocarditis, inflammation of the heart muscle, has been found in at least five Big Ten Conference athletes and among several other athletes in other conferences, according to two sources with knowledge of athletes' medical care. The condition is usually caused by a viral infection, including those that cause the common cold, H1N1 influenza or mononucleosis. Left undiagnosed and untreated, it can cause heart damage and sudden cardiac arrest, which can be fatal. It is a rare condition, but the COVID-19 virus has been linked with myocarditis with a higher frequency than other viruses, based on limited studies and anecdotal evidence since the start of the pandemic."

"Dr. Matthew Martinez, director of sports cardiology for Atlantic Health System in New Jersey, said he has received calls from physicians from at least a dozen Power 5 schools who have identified more than a dozen athletes with some post-COVID-19 myocardial injury. He said about half of them had symptoms."

And before folks speculate that maybe these athletes already had this or it was not related . . . many (most?) D1 athletes undergo heart checks. I have a genetic condition so my kids are checked annually but we included my kid's cardiac report as part of the medical docs we provided to her program (just as we do for US Soccer). So a baseline "clear" is likely for these students now found to have myocarditis.

I will take this moment to recommend baseline cardiac testing for any of your kids who participate in high level athletics. Why? Because 1 in 500 (not common but not super rare either) people have a condition called Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM), the condition that killed Hank Gathers. Symptoms can present at any time in a person's life and often appear in the late teens/early 20s (I was diagnosed at age 45 but, in retrospect, symptomatic in my late 30s). If any of you have a family history of sudden cardiac death (sometimes referred to as a "widow maker" heart attack), that is all the more reason for your kid to be checked. There are also other heart conditions that can appear if a baseline check is done. You want to know about HCM b/c the type of heart attack that is common with HCM is often fatal - in fact, I'd probably say "usually" fatal unless an AED is in close proximity and a shock is administered (protip: check EVERY athletic facility - whether gym, field, school - to identify the location of the closest AED and if you are feeling generous, consider purchasing a portable one for your kid's team or club (they run about $1,200)). And this type of heart attack can be a result of a high heart rate associated with high intensity exercise. Some countries require cardiac testing of all youth athletes (Italy is one) and if you ever read about a fit athlete who has a sudden heart attack, HCM is often the reason.

The condition does not appear out of no where so periodic checks are helpful - an EKG and echocardiogram can show the telltale sigs of emerging symptoms. For example, my kids get tested in December. If they are "clear", their next test the following December will not show a heart that looks like mine (or mine b/4 open heart surgery in 2014) but, rather, a heart that is starting to show stiffening or thickening.

PSA over.

Myocarditis is nothing new. It can be caused by any virus. There are studies all over the web about it's effects on athletes and on those in the military. The thing that is unique now is that better medical care is occuring that is catching prior to people dying (which is great) and medical issues associated with Covid get a much greater attention by the media.

College Soccer 360
@CS360updates

·
2h

Update: looks like 162 of 327 DI w-soccer teams still intend to play (49.54 %, below the needed 50% for NCAA Championship tournament). Cancellations: BigTen–Pac12–MAC–MtWest–CAA–Ivy–Northeast–SWAC–AEast–A10–BigWest–MAAC–Patriot–Summit–Big South; also teams ODU+EWU #CollegeSoccer

And there it is. No NCAA tournament

Will the others drop as well or continue (in an attempt to have a "normal" fall)?

Will the others drop as well or continue (in an attempt to have a "normal" fall)?

I think it will depend on what D1 says eventually. Will D1 hold spring championships? If so can a team play in the fall still play in the spring? Will they flip the script and say you can play up to 6 games in the fall (like what spring is normally) and still play league and NCAA in the spring? If you conference plays in the fall does that burn a year of elgibilty? Until D1 meets and provides guidance we are left guessing.

My kid's conference was one of the first to cancel their fall season. Although we were all very upset then, I'm glad that we had that time to get over the loss and mentally prepare for what things would be like as she does online classes while being on campus to do training and virtual practices. I feel so bad for all those kids who are having the rug yanked out now, just as school is starting. I have a friend whose daughter just arrived on campus and was expecting this to be her year. She'd sat on the bench a good portion of 3 years, grinding and waiting for her shot. Finally got scholarship money for her senior year. Had already taken care of most of her academics, so it was going to be all about soccer. Boom. Now it's gone. If she wants to play her last year, she'll have to extend her schooling and it's going to cost. What a nightmare.

College Soccer 360
@CS360updates

·
2h

Update: looks like 162 of 327 DI w-soccer teams still intend to play (49.54 %, below the needed 50% for NCAA Championship tournament). Cancellations: BigTen–Pac12–MAC–MtWest–CAA–Ivy–Northeast–SWAC–AEast–A10–BigWest–MAAC–Patriot–Summit–Big South; also teams ODU+EWU #CollegeSoccer

And there it is. No NCAA tournament
Thats why everyone should just move to Spring.

My kid's conference was one of the first to cancel their fall season. Although we were all very upset then, I'm glad that we had that time to get over the loss and mentally prepare for what things would be like as she does online classes while being on campus to do training and virtual practices. I feel so bad for all those kids who are having the rug yanked out now, just as school is starting. I have a friend whose daughter just arrived on campus and was expecting this to be her year. She'd sat on the bench a good portion of 3 years, grinding and waiting for her shot. Finally got scholarship money for her senior year. Had already taken care of most of her academics, so it was going to be all about soccer. Boom. Now it's gone. If she wants to play her last year, she'll have to extend her schooling and it's going to cost. What a nightmare.
Wow! Thanks for sharing. Pretty tough situation to be in. Will she think about transferring elsewhere?

I think it will depend on what D1 says eventually. Will D1 hold spring championships? If so can a team play in the fall still play in the spring? Will they flip the script and say you can play up to 6 games in the fall (like what spring is normally) and still play league and NCAA in the spring? If you conference plays in the fall does that burn a year of elgibilty? Until D1 meets and provides guidance we are left guessing.
This makes total sense.

Wow! Thanks for sharing. Pretty tough situation to be in. Will she think about transferring elsewhere?
Right now they just don't know. It's all in such upheaval that it's hard for her to make any decisions beyond the immediate. It's possible that they'll extend her offer another year, but then she'd be staying there (out of state) for another year, and it's too late for her to just declare this a gap year and sit out (rent & leases and classes already paid for). Maybe she'll get some games in the spring and then that's it. Soccer career over. Terrible, because she'd worked so hard to get to be a starter at D1 level and possibly compete for a championship and it all seems to be evaporating right when she could almost touch it. As bad as it is for my kid to lose her freshman year, at least she can hope for future seasons. It's way worse for those at the end who aren't going to get to finish. Same for all those seniors playing D1 football who won't be going pro (the vast majority). This was going to be the culmination of their football careers. That said, I can't blame the schools for pulling the plug. If the decision was on my head, I can't see how I'd come to any other conclusion.

More have died in the US in the last two days than any two day period since May. At the end of the day, CA is likely to break records for the most cases and deaths in a two day period. Today a sheriff in FL banned staff from wearing masks on the same day the county broke its record for deaths.

There will be no spring sports, or at least not one that finishes the season, without a vaccine. Americans are too dumb. It’s truly remarkable how dumb they are.

Back