D1 college soccer under threat

The full impact across the NCAA will take a bit of time but the P5 conferences do hold a lot of sway. If there is a spring season that counts as a year of eligibility (unlike most spring seasons), I think the impact will be relatively small in terms of budgets, verbal offers, etc. But I'd expect the mid-November NLI date to get punted to the old early Feb date so that the full extent of 20-21 is known. If spring does not count as a year of eligibility, I think verbals will be revisited as each program (whether or not P5, whether or not a school has football) figures out how many seniors would come back for a 5th year, whether those seniors have guaranteed $$$, whether the NCAA increases the # of scholarships/team, whether a specific program has the $$$ if the NCAA does allow more scholarships (just match up the stars and the dollars . . . if you have a Sr on a full ride and a HS Sr expecting a full ride, well the $$$ needs to come from others or the $$$ needs to drop for that star HS Sr). Programs can't go into binding agreements (NLI) while the structure of spring is TBD and can't know just how many spots are available in 2021 and beyond until the NCAA provides guidance on a number of variables.

I don't think anyone is stoking fear, just spit-balling on the nuance related to this decision (and I do agree - despite credible reporting, we need to see the specific conference(s) making announcements before speculating too much)
Full rides are for four years, they don't all automatically go to a five year scholarship. Eligibility is still four years, unused year(s) can be used in graduate schools or for a fifth year. I am sure NCAA will address all these issues at some point.

Full rides are for four years, they don't all automatically go to a five year scholarship. Eligibility is still four years, unused year(s) can be used in graduate schools or for a fifth year. I am sure NCAA will address all these issues at some point.

Some conferences and schools promise 4 years. For most, it is one year at a time with various escape clauses (behavior, grades, health, etc)

The playout in the current situation remains to be seen and, as you note, I am sure the NCAA will address these issues. I'm confident that, like for spring sports last academic year, students would not lose a year of eligibility if there is no soccer in 20-21 (meaning that it won't even count for the 4 years in 5 w/which they need to use up eligibility). What remains to be seen is if the NCAA or the specific conferences require honoring the award for that 5th year (that is among the list of demands that the P5 football players put forward). If that is the case, the awards would no longer be 4 year awards (yes, I know how they are structured) and would, theoretically or mandatorily be 5 year awards. And whether or not the prior award (the 5th year Sr's 4th year level) is necessary, I'd expect that the NCAA would permit schools paying that 5th year (so whether it is theoretical, optional or mandatory . . . that needs to shake out). So if we are matching up the $$$ that was expected to come off the books v the $$$ that come on with the incoming class, I doubt that the high-level recruit will be impacted if the 5th year player remains but it is hard to imagine that there'd be zero impact on the recruiting class as a whole. I expect that there will be a period of compression - of rosters, of dollars - before things routine to "normal".

This is soccer. Just about no one has a full ride. My guess is that if your an impact player the coach will find a way to extend the scholarship to the 5th tear.

It was definitely necessary. The rest of us are tired of all the whining.

Whining about equality. You sure are no Cassius Marcellus Clay. You are more like a David Duke. Don't worry about me chief. I'm doing fine. I know that you hate reality but it's staring you in the face. You can continue with you white greivance though. Thankfully it's still a free country although you probably hold the 2nd amendment higher in your mind than the 1st, 13th, 14th, 15th 16th and the 19th. I don't although I have more than one gun..... POC's are armed now FYI....

Hard to predict what happens at this point with things changing so rapid
This is soccer. Just about no one has a full ride. My guess is that if your an impact player the coach will find a way to extend the scholarship to the 5th tear.

Yes extend at the expense of who? Current players , incoming recruits?

Hey I believe that even the crap that you want to spew is protected by the 1st amendment. You see people not like you as less than human. Sad.

No, not really. I see everyone having the same rules. You play by them or you don't. If you don't, there are consequences.

... like not playing scrimmages and risking a club sanction when we're all on lock down. Like staying home in your bubble at night so all athletes have the same opportunity to play.

Whining about equality. You sure are no Cassius Marcellus Clay. You are more like a David Duke. Don't worry about me chief. I'm doing fine. I know that you hate reality but it's staring you in the face. You can continue with you white greivance though. Thankfully it's still a free country although you probably hold the 2nd amendment higher in your mind than the 1st, 13th, 14th, 15th 16th and the 19th. I don't although I have more than one gun..... POC's are armed now FYI....

MAP, OUTLAW HAS ALREADY BEEN WARNED, AND NOW YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. KEEP THESE TYPE OF POSTS IN OFF TOPIC.

I agree with much of what you are saying but I guess I just took it differently. I just got off the phone with my own kid - she's been on campus for a month, working out in her pod and waiting to start full team workouts. Today she spoke with some football players in the weight room. It's complex and there is grieving and stress, no doubt. And that will trickle down. But as @Simisoccerfan, it is not a usual period (I know you - and everyone else - know that, too). I struggle most in the absence of information so these next weeks and possibly (likely?) months waiting for this to get settled, and knowing that it can all! change again if, come January, rapid tests have not be broadly deployed, we are still saying, "what's the plan for tracing?", there are few proven therapeutics, etc., makes it all the more difficult. I am sorry for the stress that all the young people - and their parents -are feeling. It really, really sucks. Stay safe, everyone. And as is often said in jest but I am saying w/sincerity, make good choices (whatever they might be).
My guess would be at the expense of incoming recruits.

Another reason academics are soooo important! A 4.4 is going to get you a lot more than a 3.6. Add in high test scores too.

Back