D1 college soccer under threat

The full impact across the NCAA will take a bit of time but the P5 conferences do hold a lot of sway. If there is a spring season that counts as a year of eligibility (unlike most spring seasons), I think the impact will be relatively small in terms of budgets, verbal offers, etc. But I'd expect the mid-November NLI date to get punted to the old early Feb date so that the full extent of 20-21 is known. If spring does not count as a year of eligibility, I think verbals will be revisited as each program (whether or not P5, whether or not a school has football) figures out how many seniors would come back for a 5th year, whether those seniors have guaranteed $$$, whether the NCAA increases the # of scholarships/team, whether a specific program has the $$$ if the NCAA does allow more scholarships (just match up the stars and the dollars . . . if you have a Sr on a full ride and a HS Sr expecting a full ride, well the $$$ needs to come from others or the $$$ needs to drop for that star HS Sr). Programs can't go into binding agreements (NLI) while the structure of spring is TBD and can't know just how many spots are available in 2021 and beyond until the NCAA provides guidance on a number of variables.

I don't think anyone is stoking fear, just spit-balling on the nuance related to this decision (and I do agree - despite credible reporting, we need to see the specific conference(s) making announcements before speculating too much)

agree on the discussion about how will schools juggle scholarship allotment. That’s a lot of figure out and whether or not spring happens is a huge piece of it. But the original post insinuated that the cancelling of football means financial devastation across the board, which isn’t true. We don’t even know anything yet. Everyone is already on edge, grieving, stressed and there are so many unknowns. To throw loss of scholarships, coaches leaving and what have you is unnecessary.

Only about 20 or so NCAA football programs turn a profit and thus are able to fund other sports.

The article you linked to makes clear that way more than 20 schools make a profit. It's all accounting b.s. If a kid's scholarship costs $60,000, the athletic department doesn't write the school a check for 60k. They just say that's what the school is spending on its athletes. Almost every D1 program makes a profit. This was actually my thesis topic. And they'd make a bigger profit if they didn't do dumb things like house teams in hotels the night before home games, travel with a couple hundred of people for bowl games a week in advance, play one off games across the country, etc.

The full impact across the NCAA will take a bit of time but the P5 conferences do hold a lot of sway. If there is a spring season that counts as a year of eligibility (unlike most spring seasons), I think the impact will be relatively small in terms of budgets, verbal offers, etc. But I'd expect the mid-November NLI date to get punted to the old early Feb date so that the full extent of 20-21 is known. If spring does not count as a year of eligibility, I think verbals will be revisited as each program (whether or not P5, whether or not a school has football) figures out how many seniors would come back for a 5th year, whether those seniors have guaranteed $$$, whether the NCAA increases the # of scholarships/team, whether a specific program has the $$$ if the NCAA does allow more scholarships (just match up the stars and the dollars . . . if you have a Sr on a full ride and a HS Sr expecting a full ride, well the $$$ needs to come from others or the $$$ needs to drop for that star HS Sr). Programs can't go into binding agreements (NLI) while the structure of spring is TBD and can't know just how many spots are available in 2021 and beyond until the NCAA provides guidance on a number of variables.

I don't think anyone is stoking fear, just spit-balling on the nuance related to this decision (and I do agree - despite credible reporting, we need to see the specific conference(s) making announcements before speculating too much)

I agree that there are many questions that need to be answered with main two being will there be a Spring season and does it count as a year of eligibility? If not, how many seniors are coming back? Are those seniors getting money (often programs backload offers that can increase in the later years), will the school extend the money into the final year? Since no 2021 grads have signed offers yet (just verbals) things can change for them too. I know that in normal circumstances colleges don't want to back out of verbals but who knows now since a verbal is not binding. I also would assume that Juniors, Sophomores and Freshmen all will get another year of elgilibilty if they want. It is very reasonable to expect colleges not to extend as many offers in the next few years. Instead they may chose to either not spend the full 14 scholarships or increase the amount the current players that are making an impact get.

agree on the discussion about how will schools juggle scholarship allotment. That’s a lot of figure out and whether or not spring happens is a huge piece of it. But the original post insinuated that the cancelling of football means financial devastation across the board, which isn’t true. We don’t even know anything yet. Everyone is already on edge, grieving, stressed and there are so many unknowns. To throw loss of scholarships, coaches leaving and what have you is unnecessary.

I agree with much of what you are saying but I guess I just took it differently. I just got off the phone with my own kid - she's been on campus for a month, working out in her pod and waiting to start full team workouts. Today she spoke with some football players in the weight room. It's complex and there is grieving and stress, no doubt. And that will trickle down. But as @Simisoccerfan, it is not a usual period (I know you - and everyone else - know that, too). I struggle most in the absence of information so these next weeks and possibly (likely?) months waiting for this to get settled, and knowing that it can all change again if, come January, rapid tests have not be broadly deployed, we are still saying, "what's the plan for tracing?", there are few proven therapeutics, etc., makes it all the more difficult. I am sorry for the stress that all the young people - and their parents -are feeling. It really, really sucks. Stay safe, everyone. And as is often said in jest but I am saying w/sincerity, make good choices (whatever they might be).

I agree with much of what you are saying but I guess I just took it differently. I just got off the phone with my own kid - she's been on campus for a month, working out in her pod and waiting to start full team workouts. Today she spoke with some football players in the weight room. It's complex and there is grieving and stress, no doubt. And that will trickle down. But as @Simisoccerfan, it is not a usual period (I know you - and everyone else - know that, too). I struggle most in the absence of information so these next weeks and possibly (likely?) months waiting for this to get settled, and knowing that it can all change again if, come January, rapid tests have not be broadly deployed, we are still saying, "what's the plan for tracing?", there are few proven therapeutics, etc., makes it all the more difficult. I am sorry for the stress that all the young people - and their parents -are feeling. It really, really sucks. Stay safe, everyone. And as is often said in jest but I am saying w/sincerity, make good choices (whatever they might be).

Unfortunately I think D1 will be below the 50% threshold for a women's soccer championship within a few days at which point everyone will cancel the fall season.

I agree that there are many questions that need to be answered with main two being will there be a Spring season and does it count as a year of eligibility? If not, how many seniors are coming back? Are those seniors getting money (often programs backload offers that can increase in the later years), will the school extend the money into the final year? Since no 2021 grads have signed offers yet (just verbals) things can change for them too. I know that in normal circumstances colleges don't want to back out of verbals but who knows now since a verbal is not binding. I also would assume that Juniors, Sophomores and Freshmen all will get another year of elgilibilty if they want. It is very reasonable to expect colleges not to extend as many offers in the next few years. Instead they may chose to either not spend the full 14 scholarships or increase the amount the current players that are making an impact get.
For my daughter (D3), they are playing a limited spring season (9 games and conference tourney) and retaining a year of eligibility. I guess they could not play more than 10 games (league tourney counts as 1 no matter how many games they play) to retain the year. Not sure how many players will take the extra year?

Agree with some of the sentiments. There are a lot of questions for everyone— current players, verbal commits, not yet committed, etc. Until we know, we don’t know...

The article you linked to makes clear that way more than 20 schools make a profit. It's all accounting b.s. If a kid's scholarship costs $60,000, the athletic department doesn't write the school a check for 60k. They just say that's what the school is spending on its athletes. Almost every D1 program makes a profit. This was actually my thesis topic. And they'd make a bigger profit if they didn't do dumb things like house teams in hotels the night before home games, travel with a couple hundred of people for bowl games a week in advance, play one off games across the country, etc.

Makes clear?

And as the news keeps coming in today and it looks like it’s over for w soccer I do want to say I’m sorry to all the parents and athletes this impacts. It just stinks. I know there’s bigger stuff happening but for those of us in this small world it’s really sad and hard. I wish it wasn’t like this. And even tho some of us disagree on here sometimes, I’m united with everyone that this just stinks and I feel for everyone.

It’s official. JMU suspended fall sports. The team was told after practice this morning. I commend them for trying to have a season but too much of a battle trying to put a schedule together. Camp broke today so she will be moving into her apartment later today. Once school starts in two weeks they will hold daily practice. Now its a waiting game to see if the NCAA will try to hold D1 sports in the spring or at least allow an expanded Spring Season over the normal few games allowed.

Sorry to hear this. Good luck to you and you player.

Racial posts not in off topic are not allowed
Once the shoe drops and the Power 5 football conferences cancel or postpone their seasons it's going to end sports for the year. Sports can't safely occur without a bubble until their is a vaccine. Human brains don't mature until they are 25 and you can bet that young people are going to make horrible mistakes that lead to infection. You can't even get mature adults to put their masks over their nose. No way can you get young adults and children to consistenly comply. Unfortunately since this isn't China people are going to do stupid things because they know that they won't get arrested for it. Unless they are a POC.

Good luck everyone. Please wear a mask and do it correctly. Your nose is connected to your lungs...

Yeah... those poor POC and their house parties and strip clubs. So sad.

It’s official. JMU suspended fall sports. The team was told after practice this morning. I commend them for trying to have a season but too much of a battle trying to put a schedule together. Camp broke today so she will be moving into her apartment later today. Once school starts in two weeks they will hold daily practice. Now its a waiting game to see if the NCAA will try to hold D1 sports in the spring or at least allow an expanded Spring Season over the normal few games allowed.
Sorry to hear that @Simisoccerfan! I hope your daughter will continue to have a great first year college experience. Good Luck!!

For my daughter (D3), they are playing a limited spring season (9 games and conference tourney) and retaining a year of eligibility. I guess they could not play more than 10 games (league tourney counts as 1 no matter how many games they play) to retain the year. Not sure how many players will take the extra year?

Agree with some of the sentiments. There are a lot of questions for everyone— current players, verbal commits, not yet committed, etc. Until we know, we don’t know...
Sorry to hear about your daughter experience @ SD_Soccer. I hope things work out with you and your family.

No. Like not true at all. Half the w soccer conferences don’t even have football so losing fall football money isn’t a thing. The majority of the rest don’t make big money on football so there’s not as much to lose. Plus they won’t be spending much fall money on travel, food, game day staff, marketing etc etc. For the vast majority of schools no football doesn’t mean much financially. The big hit comes from no students on campus and that impacts athletic funding provided by the school. But that’s TBA.

for a few of the Big Boys, yes, no football means massive bleeding. But they also have a ton of things to cut that will go way before scholarships.

your panic post is just that: panic. Exactly no one knows how this will shake out and trickle down to sports like w soccer. No need to drum up fear and pearl clutching before there’s any basis to do so.
No. Like not true at all. Half the w soccer conferences don’t even have football so losing fall football money isn’t a thing. The majority of the rest don’t make big money on football so there’s not as much to lose. Plus they won’t be spending much fall money on travel, food, game day staff, marketing etc etc. For the vast majority of schools no football doesn’t mean much financially. The big hit comes from no students on campus and that impacts athletic funding provided by the school. But that’s TBA.

for a few of the Big Boys, yes, no football means massive bleeding. But they also have a ton of things to cut that will go way before scholarships.

your panic post is just that: panic. Exactly no one knows how this will shake out and trickle down to sports like w soccer. No need to drum up fear and pearl clutching before there’s any basis to do so.

How do universities balance the budget with lost income in tuition and housing? raise tuition?

Back