D1 college soccer under threat

Lol are you defending adult men? They could not kick people out of their house? They had a large gathering at their home. It caused this problem. It was their responsibility to remove people. They chose not to.

Lol are you defending adult men? They could not kick people out of their house? They had a large gathering at their home. It caused this problem. It was their responsibility to remove people. They chose not to.

Defending? I just linked to article.

California released its guidance on re-opening colleges and universities, which included protocols on resuming play in college athletics

Basically, must allow opt-outs with no effect on scholarships, must not require waivers, must be able to do testing with results in at least 72 hours, must be able to do contact tracing and must share information with other schools, plus a whole bunch of facility and sanitization protocols, masking and distancing protocols off-field, positive test result protocols etc

And the first FBS conference cancels football and all fall sports. MAC conference, Eastern Michigan. Northern Illinois, etc. Not one of the big 5 conferences, but I would not be surprised to see this become a trend. Think of it this way, would you want to be a school president and decide to play and then have a coach or player pass from this? You likely lose your job if it happens, or certainly see a huge lawsuit that could cripple the university. You don’t take any risk of losing your job by delaying to spring. I would be surprised if the big 5 conferences are not talking about this offline.

I again say move football to spring where you are more likely to get the season in and potentially save your school’s athletic future (since many schools athletic departments are funded by football and basketball). These are not easy decisions for anyone dealing with opening schools or doing sports.

Big ten and Pac-12 will cancel football tomorrow. And there puts the end to all fall sports. Say goodbye to your verbal offers as schools will likely reduce scholarships, lay off assistants, furlough head coaches, etc. A very sad day indeed.

It’s official. JMU suspended fall sports. The team was told after practice this morning. I commend them for trying to have a season but too much of a battle trying to put a schedule together. Camp broke today so she will be moving into her apartment later today. Once school starts in two weeks they will hold daily practice. Now its a waiting game to see if the NCAA will try to hold D1 sports in the spring or at least allow an expanded Spring Season over the normal few games allowed.

It’s official. JMU suspended fall sports. The team was told after practice this morning. I commend them for trying to have a season but too much of a battle trying to put a schedule together. Camp broke today so she will be moving into her apartment later today. Once school starts in two weeks they will hold daily practice. Now its a waiting game to see if the NCAA will try to hold D1 sports in the spring or at least allow an expanded Spring Season over the normal few games allowed.
Are they going to treat the fall like the spring under NCAA rules in terms of the number of practices permitted etc or is basically fall rules with no games?

Shit!!

Big ten and Pac-12 will cancel football tomorrow. And there puts the end to all fall sports. Say goodbye to your verbal offers as schools will likely reduce scholarships, lay off assistants, furlough head coaches, etc. A very sad day indeed.

Not at all true. Geez.

No. Like not true at all. Half the w soccer conferences don’t even have football so losing fall football money isn’t a thing. The majority of the rest don’t make big money on football so there’s not as much to lose. Plus they won’t be spending much fall money on travel, food, game day staff, marketing etc etc. For the vast majority of schools no football doesn’t mean much financially. The big hit comes from no students on campus and that impacts athletic funding provided by the school. But that’s TBA.

for a few of the Big Boys, yes, no football means massive bleeding. But they also have a ton of things to cut that will go way before scholarships.

your panic post is just that: panic. Exactly no one knows how this will shake out and trickle down to sports like w soccer. No need to drum up fear and pearl clutching before there’s any basis to do so.

No. Like not true at all. Half the w soccer conferences don’t even have football so losing fall football money isn’t a thing. The majority of the rest don’t make big money on football so there’s not as much to lose. Plus they won’t be spending much fall money on travel, food, game day staff, marketing etc etc. For the vast majority of schools no football doesn’t mean much financially. The big hit comes from no students on campus and that impacts athletic funding provided by the school. But that’s TBA.

for a few of the Big Boys, yes, no football means massive bleeding. But they also have a ton of things to cut that will go way before scholarships.

your panic post is just that: panic. Exactly no one knows how this will shake out and trickle down to sports like w soccer. No need to drum up fear and pearl clutching before there’s any basis to do so.

The full impact across the NCAA will take a bit of time but the P5 conferences do hold a lot of sway. If there is a spring season that counts as a year of eligibility (unlike most spring seasons), I think the impact will be relatively small in terms of budgets, verbal offers, etc. But I'd expect the mid-November NLI date to get punted to the old early Feb date so that the full extent of 20-21 is known. If spring does not count as a year of eligibility, I think verbals will be revisited as each program (whether or not P5, whether or not a school has football) figures out how many seniors would come back for a 5th year, whether those seniors have guaranteed $$$, whether the NCAA increases the # of scholarships/team, whether a specific program has the $$$ if the NCAA does allow more scholarships (just match up the stars and the dollars . . . if you have a Sr on a full ride and a HS Sr expecting a full ride, well the $$$ needs to come from others or the $$$ needs to drop for that star HS Sr). Programs can't go into binding agreements (NLI) while the structure of spring is TBD and can't know just how many spots are available in 2021 and beyond until the NCAA provides guidance on a number of variables.

I don't think anyone is stoking fear, just spit-balling on the nuance related to this decision (and I do agree - despite credible reporting, we need to see the specific conference(s) making announcements before speculating too much)

Only about 20 or so NCAA football programs turn a profit and thus are able to fund other sports.

Back