Vaccine

Princeton is a small school with a lot of athletes. There is a very good chance the editor of the admissions webpage is an alum who played in college.

What you’re really saying is that schools like UCLA no longer call it varsity. Which is true. But not every college is like UCLA.

1. Firstly, boo princeton.
2. But it is interesting you bring up Princeton or any Ivy. It's an example of an institution working directly against the principles you stand for (and which BTW I'm somewhat sympathetic towards in this instance). As you know, princeton earmarks certain admissions for preferences. They include athletes, legacies, oppressed minorities, foreigners, and first generation college. As you know as well, people have been complaining that the Ivies aren't a true meritocracy, since Asian candidates with higher marks have alleged they are discriminated against when these categories are used. Princeton and the other Ivies also, despite rising population and despite an increase in applications from overseas, have not been increasing the number of their admits. Given it's a fixed amount, and scarce resource, the fact that "princeton is a small school with a lot of athletes" is problematic. It means a lot of top notch recruited athletes are taking away academic space from other less athletic individuals. Those less athletic individuals won't be at Princeton to argue about intramural field access because those less athletic individuals aren't there (their space having been given preference to the recruited athletes).

Maybe JV teams at University could help with those 40 player rosters these days.

Many years ago, when NCAA did not allow freshmen on varsity teams, there was an entire shadow competition among freshman teams.

Big schools (such s Notre Dame, as famously made public in the movie Rudy) keep entire second teams for use as practice targets.

1. Firstly, boo princeton.
2. But it is interesting you bring up Princeton or any Ivy. It's an example of an institution working directly against the principles you stand for (and which BTW I'm somewhat sympathetic towards in this instance). As you know, princeton earmarks certain admissions for preferences. They include athletes, legacies, oppressed minorities, foreigners, and first generation college. As you know as well, people have been complaining that the Ivies aren't a true meritocracy, since Asian candidates with higher marks have alleged they are discriminated against when these categories are used. Princeton and the other Ivies also, despite rising population and despite an increase in applications from overseas, have not been increasing the number of their admits. Given it's a fixed amount, and scarce resource, the fact that "princeton is a small school with a lot of athletes" is problematic. It means a lot of top notch recruited athletes are taking away academic space from other less athletic individuals. Those less athletic individuals won't be at Princeton to argue about intramural field access because those less athletic individuals aren't there (their space having been given preference to the recruited athletes).
Boo Princeton?

You're not going to bait me into some pointless argument about the relationship between the Big 3 and the lesser Ivies.

;)

Many years ago, when NCAA did not allow freshmen on varsity teams, there was an entire shadow competition among freshman teams.

Big schools (such s Notre Dame, as famously made public in the movie Rudy) keep entire second teams for use as practice targets.

Yes, that is true....So either you are 70/80 years old or you have never played college sports, because nobody has called it that for that for the last 20 or 30 years...I'm not just saying UCLA, I'm saying all colleges/universities...your credibility is quickly diminishing

Yes, that is true....So either you are 70/80 years old or you have never played college sports, because nobody has called it that for that for the last 20 or 30 years...I'm not just saying UCLA, I'm saying all colleges/universities...your credibility is quickly diminishing

Nobody?

Yep. Got it. No real D1 athlete calls it varsity. If I did play sports, it must not have been for a real college or university.

I am also no true Scotsman.

That, or I graduated college 20-30 years ago, like you said. But that’s impossible. That would put me in my mid 40s to early 50s. I'd be old enough to have kids in high school. What would I be doing here?

Nobody?

When someone turns to semantics and personal attacks in an attempt soothe their own ego they have already lost.

Nobody?

You missed one.

I think the definition of varsity is a fascinating topic that needs its own thread.
Nobody?

That's too funny!!! It did bring a laugh so I appreciate that!!! I do wonder, do you just google stuff and then post it without reading what you are even posting? But to be honest, I really like the varsity squash and cycling to prove the point!! You straight nailed it home with that!!! lol

I think the definition of varsity is a fascinating topic that needs its own thread.

The thread titled "Vaccine" is now the repository for anyone's daily rants. I think it's time to retire the thread, or at least admit it no longer has much relevant content. Maybe a new OT/COVID forum thread titled "Mandates" could soak up some of the crap.

The thread titled "Vaccine" is now the repository for anyone's daily rants. I think it's time to retire the thread, or at least admit it no longer has much relevant content. Maybe a new OT/COVID forum thread titled "Mandates" could soak up some of the crap.
How about "potpourri" thread where we just argue about stupid shit....nevermind this thread already has that covered.

That's too funny!!! It did bring a laugh so I appreciate that!!! I do wonder, do you just google stuff and then post it without reading what you are even posting? But to be honest, I really like the varsity squash and cycling to prove the point!! You straight nailed it home with that!!! lol

Now tell Holy Cross, etc., that they are nobody.

T
but wait, I want to hear more about effective masking and vaccine policies for ulittles.

Back