Surf Cup

Congrats to Surf. Way to bring it home for SoCal. Are they the best like @Trojan_mule asks? Maybe, but it's tough to know until all the teams are playing. But it does seem like Surf and Blues will be 1A & 1B once everyone is back on the field and playing games (whenever that is). Arsenal, Eagles, Albion are rounding out the top 5.
Surf is #1 since they won Surf Cup. This tournament is weighted. Blues is #2.

Very good game. Texans scored first, Surf gets it right back and goes ahead, 2-1 at halftime. Texans tie it up, Surf again goes ahead. Seven minutes left, Texan scores the last goal, game ended 3-3. Right to PK’s. All PK’s were perfect until the Texans hit the crossbar, and the last Surf shooter finished. All Surf PK’s were essentially unsaveable as the Texan gk was excellent. Incredible game.
Actually, in reviewing the goal kick missed by Texan, the shot going in and the Surf keeper deflected it up to the crossbar. It was a great save especially since the keeper was injured at the end of regulation.

Surf is #1 since they won Surf Cup. This tournament is weighted. Blues is #2.
I don’t think the Blues have played with their full squad this year... I think that is what @Luis Andres said earlier... Everytime someone counts out the Blues, they then turnaround and proves everyone wrong... but who can disagree with what SD Surf Select has done..

I don’t think the Blues have played with their full squad this year... I think that is what @Luis Andres said earlier... Everytime someone counts out the Blues, they then turnaround and proves everyone wrong... but who can disagree with what SD Surf Select has done..
Luis is not a happy camper for missing out. However, he must agree Surf Select is now the true #1. Plus, they made things happen and took on the risk. They deserve to be top team at this age group.

Are we talking about the Surf 07s? I noticed they are Surf Cup champs. I am not sure how Slammers have or haven't improved and same with Blues but the last two 07 National Cup championship games 2019 and 2018 prior to this age DA and ECNL were between Surf and Slammers not Blues

that is correct. The only tournament that Blues 2010 team has gone to, they went with 1/2 the squad and won with ease as there was no one to really give them a challenge. Congrats to Surf Select. You can say they are the new SCSD team as the top players went there. So yes I would have to say that it’s between Surf and Blues as the top team in SoCal. Surf select in my book will be #1 when they officially beat the state cup champs. You gotta take the belt away from the champs before being called #1
Can’t argue with that!

What is interesting is due to Covid, 2020 year shouldn’t really matter much, as tryouts are now here and the lack of games in 2020 make it just a conversation for bored parents. I will say that it would have been fun for the blues to be at Surf Cup. Perhaps they didn’t want to be tested? Just sayin.......... They wanted to wear that belt just a little longer?

that is correct. The only tournament that Blues 2010 team has gone to, they went with 1/2 the squad and won with ease as there was no one to really give them a challenge. Congrats to Surf Select. You can say they are the new SCSD team as the top players went there. So yes I would have to say that it’s between Surf and Blues as the top team in SoCal. Surf select in my book will be #1 when they officially beat the state cup champs. You gotta take the belt away from the champs before being called #1
When my dd team at Blues won the Cal South State Cup in 2015, we were #1. All bets are off for new season. I hate to say this but Blues chicken out and Surf is #1 for taking the risk. It's not about last years winner, it's always about, "what have you done lately." Score board is score board.

@a beautiful mind from Dallas Texans said it best the winner of this surf cup will have an asterisk next to the name. The fact that many good teams were missing makes it just another tournament. Not the real deal like before.
That sounds like one big excuse Luis, mixed in with some sour grapes. No way I let you off the hook bro. I say it all even outs because these players took a risk of playing in very difficult conditions. Tad always said what makes a team #1 is playing through adversity and winning the actual game. * is not fair bro.

what this tournament proved imo was that Surf Select is the best team from San Diego and they are better than Albion for sure. But in order to get the belt they must beat the So Cal champs. Beating a contender does not count. Congratulations on winning and now being the top contender for #1 team in So cal.
How can the pretender be a contender if the so called socal champ does not show up for the fight? That to me says something about something, no?

Ill stand by it. They were beat by the only team that would beat them. If brackets were different they would be in the final. Tophat got beat by Arsenal who had lost to a mid tier APL team so.. still say Surf and RSL GA were the class of the 2007 group.
You also said they were a juggernaut. I am guessing you are basing that on their play vs weak GA teams.

I have nothing against the Royals. Their overall record last year across all age groups was a losing one. This year they are dominating. They didn't suddenly get better.

you win Billy... Goat.
Billy the Goat and Luis the Lion are ready to bring youth soccer entertainment to everyone this Winter. The truth is my dd never comes on here Luis. I swear. She thinks I have a problem and she's right. What I say here is me, not her or anyone else. I did promise her I would stop posting after she commits to her next phase in life after High School. The door is open. I think you guys made the right call and I now I will switch my last call. Because of this were all going through, I say Blues is still the team to beat. I was just joking around like I always do.

You also said they were a juggernaut. I am guessing you are basing that on their play vs weak GA teams.

I have nothing against the Royals. Their overall record last year across all age groups was a losing one. This year they are dominating. They didn't suddenly get better.
Still think they are the best 07G team in AZ, too bad PRFC didn't send their ECNL team so we could see who was top. Arsenal and SCDS are not on the same level. I have a soft spot for that 08 DeRosier team. Like that a non letter league team does well.

Still think they are the best 07G team in AZ, too bad PRFC didn't send their ECNL team so we could see who was top. Arsenal and SCDS are not on the same level. I have a soft spot for that 08 DeRosier team. Like that a non letter league team does well.
Well they certainly are better vs del Sol and Arsenal at that age. Not sure about them vs Rising at that age though.

PRFC had a very poor showing this weekend overall in all age groups . Actually all of the AZ teams did, They teams play these meaningless tournaments locally to bring their rankings up and when something like SC or State Cup come around they just cannot compete with CA teams . Out of 14 finals , 1 AZ team made it in the youngers Surf cup.
You would of thought that with all their games during C-19 they would have competed better. I watch boys and girls and they (PRFC) cannot hang with any So cal team.
Congrats Surf and Tophat for making it in the finals in a few different age groups, and thanks for surf for putting on the event!!!!!

Back