SOCCER POSTS ONLY... Can this be done?

I think, (just from reading through Twitter,) it's actually *staffed ICU beds. So there are beds, just nobody to cover them.

Not in this fight, just trying to offer a different POV.

I think, (just from reading through Twitter,) it's actually *staffed ICU beds. So there are beds, just nobody to cover them.

Not in this fight, just trying to offer a different POV.

@Glitterhater @Chalklines @happy9 Take it to off topic and figure out who's right and who's wrong please! This thread looks like a somewhat normal soccer thread. I understand the NV pause and canceled tourneys are soccer talk but the squiggly lines, etc. can be discussed on other thread.

P.S. This Raiders game is killing me

There's the rub. I've seen parents blame losses on lack of depth on the bench then turn around and threaten to leave if their player doesn't get their "deserved" playing time.

Personally, at U15 and above, I prefer smaller rosters - 15 max. More playing time, the team is better synched, the off the bench players have immediate and planned impact. It's a risk but provides the stronger, younger players to play up if/when their is a gap on the bench. Team culture is more stable and predictable with a smaller roster.

Now, with that said, smaller rosters = less $$$.
My experience has been...I prefer rosters at 17-18. As the kids have gotten older I see more injuries overall, and it is not uncommon to have 2-4 girls out at any one time.

My experience has been...I prefer rosters at 17-18. As the kids have gotten older I see more injuries overall, and it is not uncommon to have 2-4 girls out at any one time.
Roster size discussion is something I can get behind. I'm sure it's been discussed before and opinions are based on personal experience, level of the team, and the buy in from players and parents.

Injuries and social life definitely impacts roster size, especially for U16 and older. Carry larger rosters at U15. As players get older the talent pyramid obviously gets narrower and there is less playing time for players. Unless you are getting paid to sit the bench, siting the bench is not fun, especially for parents.

Would you carry two keepers or just one for U16 and above?

Roster size discussion is something I can get behind. I'm sure it's been discussed before and opinions are based on personal experience, level of the team, and the buy in from players and parents.

Injuries and social life definitely impacts roster size, especially for U16 and older. Carry larger rosters at U15. As players get older the talent pyramid obviously gets narrower and there is less playing time for players. Unless you are getting paid to sit the bench, siting the bench is not fun, especially for parents.

for the boys at that age higher levels you have to carry 2. They get sick or injured. It just sucks though for the weaker keeper and at that level balancing playtime to develop both isn’t as much of a priority.

for the girls there’s still a goalkeeper shortage but don’t the highest teams also carry 2?

for the boys at that age higher levels you have to carry 2. They get sick or injured. It just sucks though for the weaker keeper and at that level balancing playtime to develop both isn’t as much of a priority.

for the girls there’s still a goalkeeper shortage but don’t the highest teams also carry 2?
Yes, ECNL teams on the girls side generally carry two keepers. If there is only one, it's usually because someone has left the team or the coach could not find another solid keeper for the roster.

Depends on the club (girls). My experience has been you carry 2 strong keepers at the U14/U15 ages and 1 keeper for ages above. The 2 strong keepers have the ability to play up when needed or share duties during their games.

Interesting to see keeper philosophies amongst clubs. Coming from the east coast, there was normally one keeper for the older top teams. The youngest of the olders carried the "reserve" keepers.

In AZ, it varies from club to club. May also be a reflection of lack of keepers overall or the philosophy of the league?

I think quality keeper shortage is a thing. A few years back, my oldest (boy) team carried two keepers, one much better than the other. Bringing in the second keeper changed the way they played. Many games were lost or almost lost because of bad keeper play. The following year they only carried one.

Can't imagine any parent or kid being happy if their keeper only played one half because a club split time between two keepers. Best field players play 90% of the game. We use a field player that is strong with their feet if a backup is needed.

There's the rub. I've seen parents blame losses on lack of depth on the bench then turn around and threaten to leave if their player doesn't get their "deserved" playing time.

Personally, at U15 and above, I prefer smaller rosters - 15 max. More playing time, the team is better synched, the off the bench players have immediate and planned impact. It's a risk but provides the stronger, younger players to play up if/when their is a gap on the bench. Team culture is more stable and predictable with a smaller roster.

Now, with that said, smaller rosters = less $$$.
That doesn't make senese. As they get older, injuries pile up. It almost seems like they come in waves. As such, you need larger rosters/depth to ensure your team stays competitive and can field a competitive team. Once committed, I think as long as those girls get at least half a game it's ok depending on the circumstances.

Can't imagine any parent or kid being happy if their keeper only played one half because a club split time between two keepers. Best field players play 90% of the game. We use a field player that is strong with their feet if a backup is needed.
Depends how the team plays -- if it's a kickball team where the goalie just makes saves and punts, then agree. But if it's a possession team that plays back to the goalie a lot, he/she can end up getting more touches in a half than some of the forwards in an entire game. The latter situation is much easier to accept playing one half. Not sure why any goalie would want to be a part of kickball team these days (and there are still many). Really narrowing your opportunities for the next level.

I have experience with my kids being on ridiculously large rosters and barely fielding a team rosters. Neither were ideal. I think a roster of 17 is a good number because of injuries, and I would say kids missing games but my kids teammates don't typically miss games unless they're injured or sick. I agree this size roster should be U15 and up... by this age you should have a solid roster of players with similar qualities. The biggest thing for me is that it's important when a bench player gets called in the level of the game doesn't change because that is extremely frustrating to watch. When they're younger ,it doesn't matter because it's all about development but once they hit U15 and up, there should't be a drastic change in quality of play amongst the starting 11 and the subs.

As far as GK goes, at U16 I think 2 GK should be on the team, for several reasons, one obviously is god forbid one get hurt, and second I think it's good for a GK to have some motivation to make sure they stay first GK. I don't understand when I see GK switching at halftime, it's difficult to get in a rhythm etc., but obviously it's done a lot and every gk have their own thoughts about that. If there are two GK, then the 2nd GK has to be okay with knowing he or she is #2 (and parents as well). Actually, as I'm typing, perhaps at U16, in lieu of two GK maybe carry a field player that can also play GK in the event the GK can't play.

That doesn't make senese. As they get older, injuries pile up. It almost seems like they come in waves. As such, you need larger rosters/depth to ensure your team stays competitive and can field a competitive team. Once committed, I think as long as those girls get at least half a game it's ok depending on the circumstances.
beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've seen large rosters struggle with coming to terms with playing time. Players/parents come and go because of it - makes for very unstable team culture and chemistry. I've seen teams struggle with small rosters when it comes to injuries and social events.

It's a hard balance. Dollar wise, larger roster is the way to go. Smaller rosters get you a better team. The clubs that are successful with smaller rosters at the U16 and above have strong, larger rosters at U14/U15, allowing them to play up. When you pull from the younger team, those parents get mad because you are likely taking away the strong players. If you don' worry so much about win/loss at U14/15, then this strategy works.

Pick your poison.

Depends how the team plays -- if it's a kickball team where the goalie just makes saves and punts, then agree. But if it's a possession team that plays back to the goalie a lot, he/she can end up getting more touches in a half than some of the forwards in an entire game. The latter situation is much easier to accept playing one half. Not sure why any goalie would want to be a part of kickball team these days (and there are still many). Really narrowing your opportunities for the next level.

Perfect world - possession and building out of the back high level team. Requires two skilled goalies. I think goalie shortage is a thing - finding two goalies that can play out of the back with confidence isn't as easy as it sounds.

A drop in goalie talent in a half for a team that plays out of the back isn't good. It changes the way a team plays, especially for the back line.

Some clubs will make roster decisions based on $$$, other clubs will make them based on talent. I personally prefer smaller roster size, starting at U15 but definitely at U16. 1 Keeper, 10 starting field players, 4 or 5 coming off the bench - enough to add pace to the attacking players or increase defensively for the midfield. Ideally you have a field player that can fill in for the goalie in a pinch. Traveling to a showcase or playing in a "cup" game, roster 2 keepers, one from a younger team that is a proven commodity.

See, even roster size can be polarizing - :cool:

If you have two keepers, alternate games, that way the team knows the style of each keeper for the whole game. Additionally the other keeper could get some field time. Also allows the keeper to adjust their game based on who they are facing, which might not be possible only playing the first half.

Back