SOCCER POSTS ONLY... Can this be done?

For the record, the answer to the ops question is no. Also note which side has derailed the thread (twice now).
You realize that people will disagree about who did the derailing, right? Some will read the last two pages and blame Lavey29, others will blame Chalklines. ( Let them grownups rant!!! )

The key to roster size for me is why do we have so many injuries that a continual load of 2-4 injuries per team sounds reasonable.

You realize that people will disagree about who did the derailing, right? Some will read the last two pages and blame Lavey29, others will blame Chalklines. ( Let them grownups rant!!! )

The key to roster size for me is why do we have so many injuries that a continual load of 2-4 injuries per team sounds reasonable.
At least we’ll be arguing over who derailed the thread instead of covid :p

You seem determined to start an argument over covid shutdowns.

Mind doing it over in off topic?

I'm not the one posting alleged hospital stats and or other China virus info. Those were posted in response to my soccer related posts by others so I'm very much on topic here. Got some great video service for the upcoming matches this weekend also. I can send you the link after so you can watch a little bit of good soccer. Really makes you feel good the rest of the day.

Back to soccer, rosters and keepers.

So you have a 15 man roster. The top players are in the game at least 85% of the time. Important game experience for development.

I wouldn't want my keeper to split time and only play 50% of the time, either every other game or splitting halves. How does that help development? When your kid plays half the games and doesn’t develop as well or gain experience like another kid on another team playing every game makes it easy to see why they might not make the next level. 80 games at keeper over a four year period compared to 40 games splitting time. Your kid rides the bench half the time even if they are better than the other keeper? Not great for development nor does it motivate your kid.

Game experience is so important for keepers, it is one of the reasons that keepers peak at a later age because their knowledge and leadership improve with experience. I understand why teams want to have two keepers, but many clubs do it the right way(in my opinion) and have one keeper on the top teams, then grab from another team(B team or younger team) if they need another keeper for any reason.

Good question.... injuries seem to be on the rise right now

My kid has had multiple injuries so far this year with only a few games played. Back strain and pulled hamstring. Kids are out of shape due to the minimal season they have had. To much standing around at practice in cold weather and then doing something quick and dynamic without your body being ready. This is especially hard on older kids. Kids need to be constantly in motion at practice to keep the body ready and loose.

My kid has had multiple injuries so far this year with only a few games played. Back strain and pulled hamstring. Kids are out of shape due to the minimal season they have had. To much standing around at practice in cold weather and then doing something quick and dynamic without your body being ready. This is especially hard on older kids. Kids need to be constantly in motion at practice to keep the body ready and loose.

I agree, what are your kids stretching pre (dynamic) and static (afterward) regime with their team... I'm often horrified at some teams lack of proper warmup.

I'm a big proponent of cold laser therapy also to help the healing process for certain injuries like sprains and strains. It has worked well for my kid.

As in Cryotherapy?
Both my kids do it as well as compression... seems to be helpful or should I say preventative in injuries

I agree, what are your kids stretching pre (dynamic) and static (afterward) regime with their team... I'm often horrified at some teams lack of proper warmup.

They do a good 15 minute warm up before practice which I like but no post practice stretching. My kid told me last night driving home that her body got cold standing around to much at practice and she felt she was going to tweak something during the last drill. I told her to share her concerns with the coach so she can adjust her format a little and keep kids moving especially since temps at night are quite cool now.

As in Cryotherapy?
Both my kids do it as well as compression... seems to be helpful or should I say preventative in injuries

Not cryo although that is critical first 24 hours depending on type of injury.

Cold laser is deep penetrating to help inflammation and speed the healing process. Combined with compression also in PT

My son's team had a full roster for one game this season, the first one. They've been 7 players down (17 roster) at one point, and the new "normal" is minimum of 3 down per game. The transition from the silly boxes to no contact small sided scrimmage to suddenly playing messed up any prep. Lots of late tackles (rusty players!) taking out players also; a few concussions to boot.

On the positive side, a pretty normal game schedule; negative side not a great season results wise, but meh to that. Fortunately he has been injury free.

My daughter has started more than one final with only 10 players able to take the field. They've been down to 9 in a few games too. All good though, as they have grown as a result and become more resilient.

I'm a big proponent of cold laser therapy also to help the healing process for certain injuries like sprains and strains. It has worked well for my kid.

Cold treatment is awesome, although I go old school with a bucket of water/ice and soak it (painful BTW for the kid), but quick results.

Agreed - especially with multiple games on weekends as the first games played in months. It takes time to get into game shape especially if you can't scrimmage.

Agreed - especially with multiple games on weekends as the first games played in months. It takes time to get into game shape especially if you can't scrimmage.

Cannot over emphasize game shape, it's why early season friendlies ,fitness gains and off season maintenance is important. I think this is where you see the separation start to happen between players. Who's committed to improvement. Hard to convince a 14 year old that off season stuff is important, but it is. Figuring out your player's biomechanics is extremely important. My oldest had patellar tendinitis. Figuring out his biomechanics, treatment, etc paid huge dividends. Figured out his legs muscles were to big?? crazy. Targeted stretching routine (pre/post game), routine acupuncture, and balancing core strength has done the trick. Everyone is different.

Back