SOCCER POSTS ONLY... Can this be done?

That is the part that sucked. 5 days in FL, etc.

DA also had a tendency to schedule the week before finals in Dec as well. So instead of a 3 days weekend and missing a day, the kids missed most of the week.
The DA absolutely did not GAF about any activities outside of DA soccer - school included. It was annoying.

For sure -- Travel Monday, acclimation day Tuesday, Play Wednesday, Play Thursday, off Friday, Play Saturday -- Travel Saturday, Recover Sunday -- Finals week!!
Their effort to "professionalize" things didn't make everyone happy. It's a balancing act. As parents, we will never be 100% happy.

It's like the parents that complain about small rosters then turn around and complain that their player isn't getting enough playing time when rosters are full. Can't win for losing.

Their effort to "professionalize" things didn't make everyone happy. It's a balancing act. As parents, we will never be 100% happy.

It's like the parents that complain about small rosters then turn around and complain that their player isn't getting enough playing time when rosters are full. Can't win for losing.
yep -- my response was agreeing that they didn't a rat's tail about things outside of soccer. There is also the argument that it prepares the girls for life after high school with travel and academic priorities, but then those girls are also playing multiple days in a row. There were several things that the DA did that seemed counter productive to keeping the idea afloat especially on the girls side, not limited to the time and travel dedication for some locations/teams.

At this point the only reason to play games, tournament or scrimmage, is purely for fun. Its a great reason, but if we think its prepping our kids for a competitive season or much development we may be delusional. I hope I'm wrong but the 20-21 season is likely done. I just don't see us playing in CA before summer, and long after first round of tryouts for 21-22.

Has anyone had trouble getting their coach to limit playing time if that's what you want?
It’s a tough conversation if you commit to a tournament or showcase. At the U13 level, I asked the coach to pick one of futsal or the scrimmage game that was scheduled on the same day. That was taken well.

Governor of Nevada just announced a 3 week pause, limits of gatherings to no more than 50 if I remember correctly and specifically mentioned all youth and adult sporting tournaments must be cancelled, even those with prior authorization

Governor of Nevada just announced a 3 week pause, limits of gatherings to no more than 50 if I remember correctly and specifically mentioned all youth and adult sporting tournaments must be cancelled, even those with prior authorization
No more ICU beds as of today in AZ

At this point the only reason to play games, tournament or scrimmage, is purely for fun. Its a great reason, but if we think its prepping our kids for a competitive season or much development we may be delusional. I hope I'm wrong but the 20-21 season is likely done. I just don't see us playing in CA before summer, and long after first round of tryouts for 21-22.

Nah, January 20th the news will stop over hyping the China virus and before you know it life will start seeing signs of normalcy again...soccer play will be just fine then and it will be like a miracle happened as all the doom and gloom suddenly vanishes.

Has anyone had trouble getting their coach to limit playing time if that's what you want?
There's the rub. I've seen parents blame losses on lack of depth on the bench then turn around and threaten to leave if their player doesn't get their "deserved" playing time.

Personally, at U15 and above, I prefer smaller rosters - 15 max. More playing time, the team is better synched, the off the bench players have immediate and planned impact. It's a risk but provides the stronger, younger players to play up if/when their is a gap on the bench. Team culture is more stable and predictable with a smaller roster.

Now, with that said, smaller rosters = less $$$.

There's the rub. I've seen parents blame losses on lack of depth on the bench then turn around and threaten to leave if their player doesn't get their "deserved" playing time.

Personally, at U15 and above, I prefer smaller rosters - 15 max. More playing time, the team is better synched, the off the bench players have immediate and planned impact. It's a risk but provides the stronger, younger players to play up if/when their is a gap on the bench. Team culture is more stable and predictable with a smaller roster.

Now, with that said, smaller rosters = less $$$.
15 is fine for single games, but for the 3 games in 3 days showcases and playoffs, it's not enough.

Back