SCDSL Splitting Off from Cal South

If games/scrimmages ARE NOT ALLOWED, then how does it happen. Does this mean that the clubs that went to oceanside are breaking the rules . So if Liverpool as a club goes to oceanside to do scrimmages and they pay the 100 dollars per team to scrimmage there, are they breaking the rules and how does US soccer not fine or punish them. Is it a private complex and thats how they get away with it. Even if its Private, how does a club like Liverpool (just a example) not worry about getting sued by parents or busted by the state?? Or better yet loose their license or coaches get banned.

Follow the money.

If games/scrimmages ARE NOT ALLOWED, then how does it happen. Does this mean that the clubs that went to oceanside are breaking the rules . So if Liverpool as a club goes to oceanside to do scrimmages and they pay the 100 dollars per team to scrimmage there, are they breaking the rules and how does US soccer not fine or punish them. Is it a private complex and thats how they get away with it. Even if its Private, how does a club like Liverpool (just a example) not worry about getting sued by parents or busted by the state?? Or better yet loose their license or coaches get banned.
I have no idea how to answer that without getting way off topic. It is illegal, and that law is not well enforced.

Our club is on full shut down. All practices cancelled, and no more sneaking out of state for scrimmages, either. So not everyone is doing it.

March or April, it should be better.

If a Cal South registered team and coach are playing scrimmages In socal there are In violation. Subject to discipline and suspension according to the numerous advice emails they have sent out.

In addition state, county, local guidance or regional/state orders applys weather you're on public or private land. Area 51/ sovereign Nations this doesn't apply but your Cal South stuff is not valid there anyway.

If you're not playing under or registered to Cal South possible to scrimmage if you can meet the other regional guidances or travel to play anywhere the take your credentials.

Lots of out of state comps won't take CS registered teams anymore without travel papers but they normally glady take USclub ones without questions.

US Club allowed scrimmages? On what property? Most fields that I am aware of are following state, city and county guidelines and haven't allowed (legally) anything to be played.

I'd be fine if SCDSL goes away and we all go back to Coast. Leave ECNL to do it's own thing. And then let GA and NPL fight it out for the next level.
You could always take your player and go back to Coast if that model better suits you. Some people don't like change. GA isn't going to be around long they don't have the money to be viable for long and the SCDSL Discovery division is an NPL so you want to get rid of SCDSL but let NPL fight it out? No one forces you to be on a team in the SCDSL. But rather than bash a league and the people in it, take your ball and go play with people who support your ideology. Until January 20th, this is still a free country.

I usually hate on SCDSL but I can see why they are making this move. One of the reasons Cal South State & National Cups are tournaments players & parents looks forward to is the opportunity to play against teams from other leagues. So a team from Coast may be bracketed against SCDSL or PSL/SDDA team. This move from SCDSL would stop that from happening since they’d be hosting their own iteration of the state championship which as someone on the thread has said is advantageous due to scheduling. In my opinion it’s more of a league cup since it seems exclusive to SCDSL. US Club Soccer as of right now doesn’t sanction a legitimate state championship in California unless you would like to count CSLs California Cup as one since it’s sanctioned by USCS. Also, US Club Soccer’s bylaws allow anyone to host a state championship which is why SCDSL can do this. Someone asked if ECNL teams may participate and the answer is yes but they’d have to pay an extra fee. Cal North already has their own state cup so I’m assuming this North v South thing would be against the winner of THAT tournament. Would this be a blow to Cal South? Or will some SCDSL teams move to Coast?
Why would teams go to Coast? Just curious. Who would they play in State Cup?

The cost savings are marginal. I see this as a move by the big clubs to gain more control over scheduling. The downside is that it divides SCDSL and non-SCDSL from a state competitiion. The upside is more efficient year scheduling for SCDSL teams. Between Dec and May (end of league, before summer tournaments) all you had was state cup which is only 3 games for most teams. Teams would scramble to find decent spring league or just scrimmage.

Here you go folks. All of your answers are in this presentation:
SCSDL Presentation

Pay close attention to the 2nd to last slide.
These are the SCDSL Technical Committee members that made this decision:
Alberto Bru: Real So Cal
Jon Szczuka: Pateadores
Reggie Rivas: California Athletics SC (who?). He is also the Vice President of Archer Travel Group (guess which company helps teams travel for tournaments?
Mauricio Ingrassia: Beach FC
Josh Hodges: Legends FC
Tad Bobak: SoCal Blues
Don Ebert: Strikers FC

These are the guys (notice there are no females) that created SCDSL in the 1st place. They are (mostly) the guys that ECNL (or ECNL RL) has been working with. ECNL is under US Club Soccer. So now they can register their ECNL players to play in SCDSL competitions (and crush the local clubs by bringing in ECNL ringers. They could do this before - but they had to also register that player with Cal-South).

Last edited:
The cost savings are marginal. I see this as a move by the big clubs to gain more control over scheduling. The downside is that it divides SCDSL and non-SCDSL from a state competitiion. The upside is more efficient year scheduling for SCDSL teams. Between Dec and May (end of league, before summer tournaments) all you had was state cup which is only 3 games for most teams. Teams would scramble to find decent spring league or just scrimmage.
Battle for territory and power is at hand. Where two fight, no one is right. A country divided with surely fail. We can all remember the ECNL vs GDA Toxic War, right? So, who is getting the short end of the stick? Kids, yes. Parents, yes. Clubs? Who bares the responsibilities in all this? Leaders who lead by example are the first ones to step forward and say, "I messed up and I will do better." Stop blaming all this on the rain folks. This is big time game of life like no other time in our history. I see two sides to pick now. God & Country ((USA only)) and the folks who want us to be slaves of another country and take a vaccine because of from the same place that made the man made virus and the virus was naturally released on us by a higher power player? WHO knows? You really can;t make this stuff up. I know what I want :)

SCSDL Presentation

Reggie Rivas: California Athletics SC (who?). He is also the Vice President of Archer Travel Group (guess which company helps teams travel for tournaments?
Don Ebert: Strikes FC

These are the guys (notice there are no females) that created SCDSL in the 1st place. They are (mostly) the guys that ECNL (or ECNL RL) has been working with. ECNL is under US Club Soccer. So now they can register their ECNL players to play in SCDSL competitions (and crush the local clubs by bringing in ECNL ringers. They could do this before - but they had to also register that player with Cal-South).
Good stuff Coach Buck. WE NEED WOMAN QUICKLY IN THIS GROUP is all I;m going to say.

You could always take your player and go back to Coast if that model better suits you. GA isn't going to be around long they don't have the money to be viable for long and the SCDSL Discovery division is an NPL so you want to get rid of SCDSL but let NPL fight it out? No one forces you to be on a team in the SCDSL.Until January 20th, this is still a free country.

Huh?

Good stuff Coach Buck. WE NEED WOMAN QUICKLY IN THIS GROUP is all I;m going to say.
We have Micehelle Chesters (Romero). Who someone earlier pointed out is also part of Surf Cup Sports.
Notice the 3 venues mentioned - Silverlakes, Surf and Oceanside. And who these venues are tied too.
What about Great Park?

We have Micehelle Chesters (Romero). Who someone earlier pointed out is also part of Surf Cup Sports.
Notice the 3 venues mentioned - Silverlakes, Surf and Oceanside. And who these venues are tied too.
What about Great Park?
Remember, it's not what you know bro, but whose who and do you know the DMs. No drives out to Apple Valley for Snow Bowls. It was actually so much fun. Fields sucked though so it's nice to have some space for kiddos to play. $10 parking sucks. Plus, some of these dudes controlled a lot more than parking fees.

SCSDL Presentation

Don Ebert: Strikers FC

Like Arsenal has been doing for years?

Not likely but nice try. Are you somehow associated with CalSouth or just a Coast based Club? Trying to gain perspective on your doom and gloom outlook on this change.

Last edited:
What about Great Park?

City of Irvine operates that facility. They seem to give longer term preference to clubs that are in that City or county but have been renting to others including those from LA.

Pats, Strikers, Slammers, etc use that facility for practice and games. Several ECxx clubs had or have there home games scheduled there.

In light of how much CS charges for everything, they way they handled cancellations, schedules, venues, refunds, return to play, covid, fall season some don't see the value with continuing on with them.

Not likely but nice try. Are you somehow associated with CalSouth or just a Coast based Club? Trying to gain perspective on your film and gloom outlook on this change.
Nope. Not affiliated with either.
From my initial view - This is probably a neutral move for most clubs/players. Very few people care what league or governing body they are tied to. They just want to play competitive games. I guess this move should help with that. It certainly shouldn't hurt.

Not likely but nice try. Are you somehow associated with CalSouth or just a Coast based Club? Trying to gain perspective on your film and gloom outlook on this change.
What board are you on? Just kidding, but why do you care what Coach Buck thinks? He's local coach who cares for the kids. Me too. I'm now coach at Crush FC. Free soccer. Just pay for ref fees.

What board are you on? Just kidding, but why do you care what Coach Buck thinks? He's local coach who cares for the kids. Me too. I'm now coach at Crush FC. Free soccer. Just pay for ref fees.
Haven’t served on a Club Soccer Board in over 7 years. So NONE....

If you have to pay, it isn’t free....

Haven’t served on a Club Soccer Board in over 7 years. So NONE....

If you have to pay, it isn’t free....
I like that and your 100% correct brother Kicker. I will change it to a donation. Give ye from thee heart to refs who need to stay in shape. I actually think the refs will make more this way. Thanks for the idea btw. Also, please reconsider getting a team together from LA. Free soccer except the gas to get to the Great Park. Tech FC "liked" my idea but I have not heard of IE team. Someone from San Diego interest in a team? That could mean four high school age teams that play soccer games for *free. *Please look to help donate to the "Ref Fund." Refs have been on the short end of the stick too. I know a ref who made some extra money so he could buy those nicer looking shoes for his kids. All the extra money can help Kicker.

@timbuck I was thinking of handing over the coaching duties to you. Are you up for that when the cost is clear and we can venture out? Free soccer games. March is when things will get intense because ECNL vs HS Soccer will be taking place for some kids who play HS Soccer because it's better fun. Oh well, can;t make everyone happy. I say do what's true to you and have fun doing it :)

Back