No games until 2021

That’s a question to ask Gav, not me.
We are still in the first wave. Most other countries are just getting hit by second wave. The worst outbreaks right now are in states in the upper mid west that were open with no mask requirements. Other than that, your posts are spot on.

Yes, we know you are simple. And a gutless coward who is so spineless that he can’t handle his kids attending school online. So spineless, in fact, that’s he’s blaming freakin’ teachers for his woes. What, still upset about that D- in pre-algebra all those years ago?

Man, I am beginning to really enjoy this pandemic. It is clear that people who are the most whiny are the ones who are most responsible for the predicament in which they find themselves. The lack of self-awareness is astounding.
You are en fuego today. You do you.

Maybe maybe not...I think the jury is still out on this one. Better safe than sorry. Why gamble with your kids health?

Because the kids aren't getting it seriously, and unless you are taking the same precautions to protect the kids during flu season, it isn't rational. You can argue that we need to protect the families living with them....at least that's a valid argument,...but at this point "think of the children" is anti-science fear mongering.

Most kids under 15 are not emancipated and live with adults and depend on the adults for support. I’m confused as to why your analysis only considers kids under 15.
The problem is not Sacramento. The problem is that you are not looking at the totality of circumstances and your analysis is lacking.
I was addressing your question "why gamble with your kids health?". I understand the totality of the situation, and we all know who is at risk at this point. Most(not all and not addressing comorbities!) parents of kids under the age of 15 are not in the elderly category. whatever, I get it. you can say dont visit grandparents and all that all day long but the transmission chain can be made to get there regardless. What is silly is there are so many underground activities now and out of state tournaments being traveled to, why not open it and then regulate it, that way you have the benefit of the money spent and oversight? we are now getting into another thread, ill stop here.

Used to be that politicians tried to balance constituents/voters needs against their special interests. It has become abundantly clear that special interests run the show. Gavin must be thinking voters will forget about what he has done in 2020 come time for him to run for president. If Disney doesn’t have enough clout to reopen how could we expect youth sports to have any chance.
Club soccer most definitely is a "special interest", but public health is not.

And there is no argument against that; nobody wants to gamble. But at some point with everything (not just Covid) you have to weigh up risk. Some previous posters have pointed this out more eloquently than I can.

So far there is nothing (unless I am mistaken) that suggests kids are at risk from returning to games. If we were talking about days or weeks of evidence, again I’d agree with you that erring on the side of caution might be the best thing to do but many states have been playing for months with no issues.
Because in this case, the risk has been politicized. Science has been politicized. Politics have hijacked every aspect of life, especially in states like CA.

The suggestion that you should mask up in between bites of food speaks volumes.

Maybe maybe not...I think the jury is still out on this one. Better safe than sorry. Why gamble with your kids health?

Especially since we don't really know yet what the stakes are. Covid is already known to attack more than just the lungs, and it has been identified for less than a year so we don't know what the long-term issues might be.

I’d like to see scdsl and coast use this time to come together and reform local club soccer in So Cal. Figure out a way to keep teams from long drives and make sure all games are competitively bracketed.

If you think about what's happening this year and through the summer of 2021, this makes sense. Today we are already seeing a reduction in teams in CSL. SCDSL has not released the registered teams but I believe that they will see a 20% to 30% reduction.

I was always optimistic and certain that the 2020 season would begin in November. Now that the season might begin in January (that's a big assumption)? I think that this gives a chance for parents to walk away from soccer until things settle down. The fact is we might not see any soccer until there's a widely distributed vaccine and this is estimated to happen in May/June or 2021.

SCDSL and CSL should take this time to merge and come up with a strong league going into the fall of 2021.

Because in this case, the risk has been politicized. Science has been politicized. Politics have hijacked every aspect of life, especially in states like CA.

The best part of that particular tweet was that it was accompanied by a graphic saying make sure not to touch your mask.

And there is no argument against that; nobody wants to gamble. But at some point with everything (not just Covid) you have to weigh up risk. Some previous posters have pointed this out more eloquently than I can.

So far there is nothing (unless I am mistaken) that suggests kids are at risk from returning to games. If we were talking about days or weeks of evidence, again I’d agree with you that erring on the side of caution might be the best thing to do but many states have been playing for months with no issues.
In San Diego County .009% of those aged 0-19 have been hospitalized with Covid. Zero, zip, zilch. 0% have died from Covid in this age group. Statewide there have been 2 deaths for those aged 0-17. However, we should never let facts and data take precedent over a good emotional argument. ;)

I was always optimistic and certain that the 2020 season would begin in November. Now that the season might begin in January (that's a big assumption)? I think that this gives a chance for parents to walk away from soccer until things settle down. The fact is we might not see any soccer until there's a widely distributed vaccine and this is estimated to happen in May/June or 2021.

Because the pediatric doses are running behind, for the under 16s it's unlikely to get "wide distribution" of those doses until Summer 2021. 16-17 ???. They'll also be resistance in some quarters but some of the vaccines are also producing some side effects (nothing serious....just fevers, headaches, vomiting, nauseau...in some people as long as a week....particularly in the higher dose vaccines being tested....not sure how wide spread those are but enough that you'll hear friend of a friend stories). So you aren't looking at the under 18 set being vaccinated until schools force the issue (or maybe the state does...requiring vaccination in order to plsy in summer tournaments/athletic events).

You're being too hard on the Governor. In fact, just this week he has generously allowed us to host two other families at our homes as long as its outdoors and the guests only come inside to use the restroom. I can barely keep up with his pace of reopening the State...whoa.

Opening youth sports puts some pressure on reopening schools. The teachers unions don't want schools reopened until certain demands are met unrelated to Covid safety like defunding police and the prohibition on new charter schools. The governors influence and power needed for his future political aspirations are dependent on support from unions. The Governors decision to prohibit in person learning for the entire state came right on the heels of LAUSD and SDUSD announcing that they were refusing to reopen schools. I'm open to other explanations, but it is clearly not based on science. The overwhelming science and recommendations of pediatricians, epidemiologists and national medical organizations support in person learning despite Covid.
Completely agree with you. If you open Disneyland, parents will question why they can take their kids to Disney but not attend school. If you open sports, they will ask why can't my kids attend school. These are questions that the powers that be don't want to answer. There is absolutely no scientific reason to keep soccer shut down until 2021. We can see that from the results of high school and club sports being opened for several months in other states. There is a political reason. The opening of sports will coincide with the opening of the large public school districts in So Cal.

What is so confusing for me is the inconsistency of it all. I know there are basketball tournaments going on in southern california every weekend, inside a packed gym with as many as 10 games going on at the same time. You can drive around and see baseball games going on at parks all over, but soccer can not even get a scrimmage in against their own teammates?

But you are gambling with their health. Many kids only play soccer. Kids have now quit soccer, and more will follow. Obesity rates will go up for these teens due to inactivity. Minorities are hit the hardest by obesity. Obesity takes away years of life. Throw in the fact that infection rates outside are up to 10x less than inside, along with the limited infection rates for kids playing soccer, not playing is worse for kids than playing during this epidemic. I don't see this as political as almost every state has reopened for soccer. California is the lone holdout.

It will never happen while CSL uses pro/rel to push a U9 coach to play kickball. Never. There are so many youngers coaches that are absolutely disgusted with pro/rel. Maybe some kind of modified system where a team that wins X% of their games can only play silver or higher, but the current system is irreparably broken. That is the division and that's what needs to be fixed first.

Since we as a country don't have accurate contact tracing it's impossible to say either way; however, we are seeing the start of the second wave. Daily cases in places like Indiana and Minnesota are nearly as high as in Florida. Personally I think it's safe to move to phase 2 of the return-to-play program; let teams practice closely and test the kids on a regular basis to see if there is community spread inside the team.

I think this is a chance for CSL and SCDSL to find a new model. The "Elite" leagues of ECNL, MLS Next, GAL, etc have changed things dramatically for "local" clubs. These 2 leagues need to figure out a way to adapt. The clubs that formed SCDSL (for the most part) are the clubs that have their top teams in the "Elite" leagues. They dont care as much about SCDSL as they used to. So Cal needs a shift to keep up with the times.

I've proposed something like this in the past, but now is the time to figure it out.

You have 1 So Cal league with 6 geographies-
  1. Surf Cup/Oceanside Division for teams in San Diego
  2. Great Park Division for OC teams
  3. Silverlakes Division for East County Teams
  4. Long Beach/South LA (is there a field complex there to use? Maybe play in at Dignity Health Park in Carson)
  5. The Valley - Is Lancaster drive-able?
  6. The Desert - Somewhere in Palm Springs

Within each geographic division - you have 3 flights. The season starts with a 3 game "Showcase" where teams self seed into the division they think they belong in (no guest players allowed). After these 3 games, teams are seeded according to their performance over these 3 games. (Even have a Cal-South rep walking around to make sure teams aren't sandbagging by winning a game by 2 but playing keep away for 70 minutes).
During the season, any team that wins or loses by 7 goals, is immediately moved up/down a division.

Have a 10 game season where you play teams within your geography and division.
Then 3 weeks of inter-league play where you play other geographies, but that are your same flight- 2 games per weekend for 3 weeks.

Finish it up with State Cup "luck of the draw" for all teams across all division - 1 big tournament without divisions.

You're being too hard on the Governor. In fact, just this week he has generously allowed us to host two other families at our homes as long as its outdoors and the guests only come inside to use the restroom. I can barely keep up with his pace of reopening the State...whoa.
It's pretty crazy to look at from our foxhole..

Completely agree with you. If you open Disneyland, parents will question why they can take their kids to Disney but not attend school. If you open sports, they will ask why can't my kids attend school. These are questions that the powers that be don't want to answer. There is absolutely no scientific reason to keep soccer shut down until 2021. We can see that from the results of high school and club sports being opened for several months in other states. There is a political reason. The opening of sports will coincide with the opening of the large public school districts in So Cal.
You are right on...and no way schools are opening up like regular this year, it will be a hybrid at best. If schools aren't open, fields will not be open. It will be interesting to see what happens with high school sports, club sports will be riding on it.

What are the political benefits of keeping youth sports closed at this point?

The democrats are trying to prevent anything positive from happening until after the election and trying to stick the negative to Trump. Conversely in Red states the republicans are pushing forward giving all positive credit to the Trump. Youth sports are just a pawn in the political chess game.

Back