No games until 2021

I’d like to see scdsl and coast use this time to come together and reform local club soccer in So Cal. Figure out a way to keep teams from long drives and make sure all games are competitively bracketed.

Sounds like the old Presidio and CSL model of 20 years ago. Lower levels on the competitive scale, since there are more teams on those levels, were broken up into local circuits, so a team may play its entire season within a radius of 20 miles or so. At the higher levels, selected through a pyramid of promotion and relegation, teams had to accept that the higher level play comes with the cost of a wider travel area during the season. The systems put together by both of those leagues suffered by pressure to win every game in order to achieve promotion for next season (or at least avoid relegation), player development supposedly suffered, player numbers dropped off with age, and the politics in the placement hearings got silly, especially for teams that moved from one club to another. The result of that was the birth of SCDSL that took out of a lot of CSL teams followed soon after by SDDA operating in parallel with Presidio, replacing and expanding its Premier circuits.

Sounds like the old Presidio and CSL model of 20 years ago. Lower levels on the competitive scale, since there are more teams on those levels, were broken up into local circuits, so a team may play its entire season within a radius of 20 miles or so. At the higher levels, selected through a pyramid of promotion and relegation, teams had to accept that the higher level play comes with the cost of a wider travel area during the season. The systems put together by both of those leagues suffered by pressure to win every game in order to achieve promotion for next season (or at least avoid relegation), player development supposedly suffered, player numbers dropped off with age, and the politics in the placement hearings got silly, especially for teams that moved from one club to another. The result of that was the birth of SCDSL that took out of a lot of CSL teams followed soon after by SDDA operating in parallel with Presidio, replacing and expanding its Premier circuits.
Norcal still mostly operates on that model. We have one split at the lower levels, but gold-premier are pretty much unified and pro/rel.

It only really gets messed up by ECNL, which still lets in weak teams from strong clubs.

I’d like to see scdsl and coast use this time to come together and reform local club soccer in So Cal. Figure out a way to keep teams from long drives and make sure all games are competitively bracketed.

This would be nice but it's never going to happen while there are multiple leagues and people view the leagues as status symbols instead of what they were originally intended to be which is tiers of like competition.

I asked. He has none. In fact, it’s not hard to figure out who I am and the circles I roll in. The assertion that Sacramento has it in for youth soccer is lame considering my kid plays soccer. Pure fucking conjecture.

so ill take the bait. How do you see this playing out? There are still a lot of people who are holding out hope that over the next few weeks we will get the go ahead. Im not one of them. I just want a response of any sort from the governor. Is there any chance of that?

T

Absolutely makes sense the way you describe it. My simple view already is these teachers unions are cowards. I will never forget this. What happened to the land of the free and BRAVE...bunch of gutless cowards.
The unions aren't cowards, they're operating under the political mantra of "never let a good crisis go to waste". The overwhelming majority of teachers want to be and are comfortable being back in class. My daughter does have a young Spanish teacher that refuses to return to the school but between her and my son that's the only one I'm aware of.

Omg, I know I'm going to sound whiney considering AZ and NV teams do it all the time, but ummmmm does that mean SoCal ECNL teams have to drive out of state for every game?? Even to play teams that are 15 minutes away from us????
Right now yes.

I would bet that the league and clubs try to do the following.

ECNL showcase. Have So Cal teams play each other and use that as league games.

In other tournaments/showcases out of state try to have So Cal teams play each other and use as league games.

Not ideal, but would be a way to get the games in they need.

so ill take the bait. How do you see this playing out? There are still a lot of people who are holding out hope that over the next few weeks we will get the go ahead. Im not one of them. I just want a response of any sort from the governor. Is there any chance of that?
I think that if youth soccer is closed when my kid has to report back to Fuerzas Basicas at Club Tijuana then folks can complain. Professional Academies have an incentive to protect their players/investments and keep them out of harms way so, they have not resumed play and/or practice. On the other hand, pay to play is all about coaches getting paid and they are attempting to do what’s in the best interest of the coaches and not the kids. Newson is not in charge of the Academy programs in Mexico or the FIFA pilot development program in Mexico and neither has returned to play.
I’ve been told to be ready by January by the folks at Club Tijuana.

The folks in Sacramento are trying to do what’s in the best interest of the kids. If they move prematurely, kids could face irreparable harm. Why take unnecessary risk when kids can do other activities like skating and biking for example that will make them better athletes until this COVID thing fully plays out?

T

Absolutely makes sense the way you describe it. My simple view already is these teachers unions are cowards. I will never forget this. What happened to the land of the free and BRAVE...bunch of gutless cowards.

Yes, we know you are simple. And a gutless coward who is so spineless that he can’t handle his kids attending school online. So spineless, in fact, that’s he’s blaming freakin’ teachers for his woes. What, still upset about that D- in pre-algebra all those years ago?

Man, I am beginning to really enjoy this pandemic. It is clear that people who are the most whiny are the ones who are most responsible for the predicament in which they find themselves. The lack of self-awareness is astounding.

Right now yes.

I would bet that the league and clubs try to do the following.

ECNL showcase. Have So Cal teams play each other and use that as league games.

In other tournaments/showcases out of state try to have So Cal teams play each other and use as league games.

Not ideal, but would be a way to get the games in they need.
I love that Idea. Showcase all the leagues that want to be showcased in AZ. Moutain, Desert, Socal and Norcal to name a few :) League games matter because you need the points and that will mean that all the games will have, "un alto nivel de ganas" and that will make game film better for college coaches and for the player. No more individual showcases to show off one's juggling and helicopter sizzor move, but a team showcase with players playing together to win at all cost!!!. I will drive to Vegas and AZ for that format all day long. This is all going to be just find after Nov 3rd. Be kind to another and all will go well with you and your loved ones :)

I think that if youth soccer is closed when my kid has to report back to Fuerzas Basicas at Club Tijuana then folks can complain. Professional Academies have an incentive to protect their players/investments and keep them out of harms way so, they have not resumed play and/or practice. On the other hand, pay to play is all about coaches getting paid and they are attempting to do what’s in the best interest of the coaches and not the kids. Newson is not in charge of the Academy programs in Mexico or the FIFA pilot development program in Mexico and neither has returned to play.
I’ve been told to be ready by January by the folks at Club Tijuana.

The folks in Sacramento are trying to do what’s in the best interest of the kids. If they move prematurely, kids could face irreparable harm. Why take unnecessary risk when kids can do other activities like skating and biking for example that will make them better athletes until this COVID thing fully plays out?
If we had seen large outbreaks or health issues in other states following the return to youth sport, I would agree with you. But that hasn’t happened, so it’s very difficult to accept that Sac and Gav are basing their decisions on science and safety.

Maybe it will help if I start wearing my mask between bites.

If we had seen large outbreaks or health issues in other states following the return to youth sport, I would agree with you. But that hasn’t happened, so it’s very difficult to accept that Sac and Gav are basing their decisions on science and safety.

Maybe it will help if I start wearing my mask between bites.
Maybe maybe not...I think the jury is still out on this one. Better safe than sorry. Why gamble with your kids health?

This is the best possible opportunity for that to happen. It’s doubtful of course for many reasons but if it’s ever going to happen, now is probably the time.

It will never happen while CSL uses pro/rel to push a U9 coach to play kickball. Never. There are so many youngers coaches that are absolutely disgusted with pro/rel. Maybe some kind of modified system where a team that wins X% of their games can only play silver or higher, but the current system is irreparably broken. That is the division and that's what needs to be fixed first.

Since we as a country don't have accurate contact tracing it's impossible to say either way; however, we are seeing the start of the second wave. Daily cases in places like Indiana and Minnesota are nearly as high as in Florida. Personally I think it's safe to move to phase 2 of the return-to-play program; let teams practice closely and test the kids on a regular basis to see if there is community spread inside the team.

Maybe maybe not...I think the jury is still out on this one. Better safe than sorry. Why gamble with your kids health?
And there is no argument against that; nobody wants to gamble. But at some point with everything (not just Covid) you have to weigh up risk. Some previous posters have pointed this out more eloquently than I can.

So far there is nothing (unless I am mistaken) that suggests kids are at risk from returning to games. If we were talking about days or weeks of evidence, again I’d agree with you that erring on the side of caution might be the best thing to do but many states have been playing for months with no issues.

If that's the argument, because the numbers state that covid for kids under the age of 15 is no worse than the flu, then why ever have in person schooling?
Most kids under 15 are not emancipated and live with adults and depend on the adults for support. I’m confused as to why your analysis only considers kids under 15.
The problem is not Sacramento. The problem is that you are not looking at the totality of circumstances and your analysis is lacking.

Back