NEW ECNL CHAT

For the older girls i believe the first competition they will see will be in High School. No way to start a club season for a month and then shut down for HS season.

It makes MUCH more sense to skip HS season, at least in So Cal..... the level is not good compared to ECNL, and many high schools will be remote learning until 2020..... it would open up a lot more scheduling time too...... so this is by far the easiest and most sensible solution that best serves top level players.....

It makes MUCH more sense to skip HS season, at least in So Cal..... the level is not good compared to ECNL, and many high schools will be remote learning until 2020..... it would open up a lot more scheduling time too...... so this is by far the easiest and most sensible solution that best serves top level players.....

It’s better to play no soccer than HS soccer? I thought the GDA Mafia was dead, but apparently not.

It’s really funny that HS could end up saving the world (of youth soccer). At some point kids will need to get back into sports and community, and HS soccer presents easily the best option to get back to re-opening the world of youth sports. For one, HS is much better positioned than club to reduce the risk and scope of transmission. It will be much easier with HS to schedule games more locally, thereby limiting the distance that players travel and risk going to (or taking from) a region with higher transmission rates than their local community. Club also requires a lot closer contact and more contacts due to the travel, often requiring flying or large groups in a van and staying in hotels. With HS, you can make kids go to and from games separately. And HS sports provides a much needed sense of community and recognition by their peers that is very important to HS kids whose lives have been screwed over.

Why are we still having the stupid “I know the one and only way for your kid to be the best possible soccer player, and I also know that being the best possible soccer drone is the best and most important thing in life for your daughter” discussion? This way of thinking was wrong a year ago, and it is even more wrong now that keeping people from dying and also easing back into some semblance of community is far more important than making 15 year old girls into soccer drones. HS is easily the best and most appropriate way to do this.

It’s better to play no soccer than HS soccer? I thought the GDA Mafia was dead, but apparently not.

It’s really funny that HS could end up saving the world (of youth soccer). At some point kids will need to get back into sports and community, and HS soccer presents easily the best option to get back to re-opening the world of youth sports. For one, HS is much better positioned than club to reduce the risk and scope of transmission. It will be much easier with HS to schedule games more locally, thereby limiting the distance that players travel and risk going to (or taking from) a region with higher transmission rates than their local community. Club also requires a lot closer contact and more contacts due to the travel, often requiring flying or large groups in a van and staying in hotels. With HS, you can make kids go to and from games separately. And HS sports provides a much needed sense of community and recognition by their peers that is very important to HS kids whose lives have been screwed over.

Why are we still having the stupid “I know the one and only way for your kid to be the best possible soccer player, and I also know that being the best possible soccer drone is the best and most important thing in life for your daughter” discussion? This way of thinking was wrong a year ago, and it is even more wrong now that keeping people from dying and also easing back into some semblance of community is far more important than making 15 year old girls into soccer drones. HS is easily the best and most appropriate way to do this.
However, if your HS coach prefers to sit in their car and be on their phone rather than Coach a practice, it doesn’t do much for the level of play when you compare it to most of not all “higher” level of organized soccer (ie ECNL).
I know I’m not alone with this type of situation, however I also know that this example is not the case for many as well. But it would explain why some don’t care about the HS game as much as you do.

What does this do for ecnl? Isn't this the club that Tobin Heath is associated with as technical director? Are they any good?

However, if your HS coach prefers to sit in their car and be on their phone rather than Coach a practice, it doesn’t do much for the level of play when you compare it to most of not all “higher” level of organized soccer (ie ECNL).
I know I’m not alone with this type of situation, however I also know that this example is not the case for many as well. But it would explain why some don’t care about the HS game as much as you do.

Your hypothetical example is just nonsense. Yes, there are HS coaches and situations that aren’t ideal. Yes, there are also ECNL coaches and situations that are not ideal. Making up a fake reason as an example why one might not be great for someone in theory, and then extrapolating it out to rationalize why an entire system is terrible and also why everyone should just do what you want instead of what is best for them, is just more of the same b.s. that was proven wrong when the GDA collapsed.

Plus, the pandemic has put an unavoidable spotlight on the fact that making soccer drones is inconsequential compared to the sense of community, recognition among your peers, and building of self-esteem that HS sports provides and which is far more important to a child’s development as a person, now more than ever.

I have to agree with EOTL on this one and I love HS Soccer!!! At least give me some credit for loving HS Soccer eotl. Being called the dumbest and I love HS Soccer makes zero sense but whatever. I actually believe HS Soccer will be the kick off for soccer and it will awesome. I was say if you're a top player and you have a crappy hs school and coach or both, look to transfer to a private school or have a talk with the AD and get that lazy coach fired and find a good club coach who could use a few extra bucks. Boosters can pay a little extra then the .75 an hour the HS coach gets from the district.

For one, HS is much better positioned than club to reduce the risk and scope of transmission.
Really? How?

Safer in classes and in cafeterias and on the bus to school? Safer being around hundreds if not thousands of kids at HS?

Safer taking the team bus to other HS games? Safer playing HS opponents on the field vs a club team?

Just curious how you make the statement that being in HS and playing in HS somehow reduces the risk and scope of transmission.

Yes! This is the club Tobin Heath b

What does this do for ecnl? Isn't this the club that Tobin Heath is associated with as technical director? Are they any good?
[/QUOTE
Yes! This is the club Tobin Health belongs too. FC Portland should be worried about players moving over to Portland Thorns.

Really? How?

Safer in classes and in cafeterias and on the bus to school? Safer being around hundreds if not thousands of kids at HS?

Safer taking the team bus to other HS games? Safer playing HS opponents on the field vs a club team?

Just curious how you make the statement that being in HS and playing in HS somehow reduces the risk and scope of transmission.

I explained that in my post.

When and whether HS goes back to session is completely independent of whether the risk of transmission playing sports in HS vs. club is higher. The risk of transmission in a class or a school bus or a cafeteria does not change regardless of whether they play ECNL or HS. Actually, that is wrong, it is higher if they play ECNL because playing ECNL means kids will have more exposures outside of HS than they otherwise would, and will then bring those exposures into the class, or cafeteria, or the bus, where the transmission will then spread like crazy. Plus, you’re exposed to kids at practice who go to 10 different schools, while if you play HS it’s just the same kids around you in class. The key to avoiding transmission is to reduce outside contacts and exposures.

And like I said earlier, there is no need to take a team bus to a HS game. HS schedules can be easily structured to avoid playing remote games that might require group transportation. And if you are in a HS that is so remote that it is not feasible to travel separately, then no HS sports. But if you’re that remote, you didn’t have ECNL anyway.

No one is coming to AZ or NV this year to play soccer regardless of whatever ill-conceived argument you bang out on your keyboard. The best argument you have is that it doesn’t matter one way or the other; we are all doomed because there are so many idiots out there like you that it is impossible to stay away from all of you.

I think the basic argument is that less travel is lower risk of transmission. That is a solid argument. It means GDA/ECNL are higher risk than HS/MS. They both transmit the virus, but one sends it longer distances.

There is no point comparing indoor classes to outdoor soccer. The indoor classes are clearly both higher risk and more important.

A lot of summer tournaments and showcases already cancelled. I think Fall tournaments will be unlikely; just too many people in crowded areas. I am hopeful there will be Fall league, but I anticipate most games will be driving distance.

With Budesliga, other Euro leagues, MLS and USL practicing again, hopefully youth programs can start practice in the summer.
I'm with you... Anything will be great at this point. Just want to see them back on the field!

Yes! This is the club Tobin Heath b

And Olivia Moultrie - the youngest professional female soccer player ever in America I believe. Most of you know her, of course, but she's a 2005 (my daughter played against her once - unfortunately. It was 0-0 at half, we thought we were doing pretty well, and ended up losing 5-0 and it looked like they were playing with 20 girls and we had 11!) and she was going to be SOL for soccer next season if they didn't get this club into the ECNL ASAP. I thought they'd put them in the first day possible like they did with SD Surf (and Real - why the rush putting in Real BTW?), but it took an extra 2 weeks for some reason.

And Olivia Moultrie - the youngest professional female soccer player ever in America I believe. Most of you know her, of course, but she's a 2005 (my daughter played against her once - unfortunately. It was 0-0 at half, we thought we were doing pretty well, and ended up losing 5-0 and it looked like they were playing with 20 girls and we had 11!) and she was going to be SOL for soccer next season if they didn't get this club into the ECNL ASAP. I thought they'd put them in the first day possible like they did with SD Surf (and Real - why the rush putting in Real BTW?), but it took an extra 2 weeks for some reason.

Wonder which team (age group) OM will be playing in?

Is she as good as advertised? What makes her so good?

Is she as good as advertised? What makes her so good?

Olivia was debated extensively on this site when she turned pro in Feb of last year. I think the thread was called "Turning Pro at 13?"

She's certainly a big deal with US Soccer as she has been on all of the younger national teams it seems (I think she's on the U17 one now?), she turned down a scholarship to North Carolina, and Nike made her one of their soccer reps with a contract that purportedly paid her "hundreds of thousands of dollars" to rep the Nike brand.

She played up on the oldest Portland Thorns DA team so I assume she'll do the same thing this season. She can't play college soccer so I assume she'll do the ECNL for a few years and then move into the NWSL after that. They've never had a minor play in that league so maybe she has to wait until she's 18 so that will mean 3 years of ECNL and then she'll keep playing for the US team of course. I think she's considered the top 2005 female player in the country, but lots can happen in the next 5-7 years so who knows.

I think the basic argument is that less travel is lower risk of transmission. That is a solid argument. It means GDA/ECNL are higher risk than HS/MS. They both transmit the virus, but one sends it longer distances.

There is no point comparing indoor classes to outdoor soccer. The indoor classes are clearly both higher risk and more important.
If HS is open and HS sports are happening, then club sports will be in full swing.

If HS is open and HS sports are happening, then club sports will be in full swing.

Your all or nothing approach to pandemic awareness and prevention is, uh, unique. It’s too early in the year even in AZ to attribute your irrational opinions to heat stroke, so peyote then?

Your all or nothing approach to pandemic awareness and prevention is, uh, unique. It’s too early in the year even in AZ to attribute your irrational opinions to heat stroke, so peyote then?

You are corrupting another thread with a pretty myopic take on the pandemic and its varied consequences. You insist that people affirmatively state that, by wanting to open the economy and not bankrupt small and large businesses alike, preserve the widespread availability of air travel, preserve an economy that funds medical research and on-demand care, not add trillions upon trillions of dollars to the national debt that will be the responsibility of those of us who are younger than 60, that they believe it is worth killing old people in order to open up. See the attached. Are you prepared to accept that you want children abused in greater numbers in order to protect yourself and other elderly people from this virus? What about spousal abuse? Cancer deaths? Suicides? If we are going to play the moral hazard game, step right up and take your own seat as well. If you are not prepared to state that you want more children beaten, depressed people to kill themselves, cancer patients to die and livelihoods destroyed to avoid more older people getting sick, then maybe you should shut-up. And if you are, then maybe you should spend some time reflecting about what kind of person you are at this point. Older people sheltering in place and otherwise following safety guidelines have a chance to keep themselves safe Forcing all people to shelter in place is certainly resulting in more kids getting beaten to the point of hospitalization and other sick people dying in greater numbers. There can be more than one bad outcome from this and your disregard of the real and escalating consequences to others makes you exactly the selfish jerk that you are seeing in so many others.

Back