G2010...how is the 2020 Season going?

Time-Out. We’re actually talking about soccer now? I’m happy to jump in on this. And, this being a SoCal forum I will admit my SoCal bias upfront. But, I will also say I’ve seen every team on this list within the last year except for Solar Colvin and Real Colorado. I can’t speak to those teams other than what I can see on their game logs which tells me nothing because I don’t know who they were missing, who was sick, who overslept and showed up to the game late, or who was sad cause their dog just died. So, I will rank only the teams I know something about with comment.

1. Blues. There is a lot of hate out there for this team, I think for a couple reasons. First, everyone hates a winner (see Patriots). Second, when in a close game or a final they play very direct so people scream “kickball”. The post isn’t about who plays the prettiest, it’s about who is the best. Oh yeah, they have the GOAT from Ole next year so this team is only getting better.
  2. SD Surf. They got arguably the top 3 players from SDSC added to the state cup semi-finalist. Enough said.
  3. Albion. State cup finalist who added a few SDSC players including the Keeper, which was the one position they were missing. This team will be scary. *In no way am I saying anything bad about their keeper who played at the end of last year. She played her heart out and played well…she just isn’t a full time keeper
  4. MVLA. But they won Surf Cup, beating Eagles and Blues, you will say. I saw both games, and they each could have gone either way but congrats to MVLA for winning the big prize. However, when ranking teams I can’t put too much stock in the Blues game as the Blues were missing 2 starters and had no one on the bench. I don’t care who you are, if you’re missing 1/3 of the team things change.
  5. Eagles. For the last 3 years they’ve been at or near the top, I think they are just a step below the teams above them.
  6. Legends. Fast, athletic, scary potential. I’m excited to see them this year, hopefully sooner rather than later

Those are the 6 teams I’ve seen and I’m impressed with. Again, I can’t comment on Real Co or Solar Colvin.

Time-Out. We’re actually talking about soccer now? I’m happy to jump in on this. And, this being a SoCal forum I will admit my SoCal bias upfront. But, I will also say I’ve seen every team on this list within the last year except for Solar Colvin and Real Colorado. I can’t speak to those teams other than what I can see on their game logs which tells me nothing because I don’t know who they were missing, who was sick, who overslept and showed up to the game late, or who was sad cause their dog just died. So, I will rank only the teams I know something about with comment.

1. Blues. There is a lot of hate out there for this team, I think for a couple reasons. First, everyone hates a winner (see Patriots). Second, when in a close game or a final they play very direct so people scream “kickball”. The post isn’t about who plays the prettiest, it’s about who is the best. Oh yeah, they have the GOAT from Ole next year so this team is only getting better.
  2. SD Surf. They got arguably the top 3 players from SDSC added to the state cup semi-finalist. Enough said.
  3. Albion. State cup finalist who added a few SDSC players including the Keeper, which was the one position they were missing. This team will be scary. *In no way am I saying anything bad about their keeper who played at the end of last year. She played her heart out and played well…she just isn’t a full time keeper
  4. MVLA. But they won Surf Cup, beating Eagles and Blues, you will say. I saw both games, and they each could have gone either way but congrats to MVLA for winning the big prize. However, when ranking teams I can’t put too much stock in the Blues game as the Blues were missing 2 starters and had no one on the bench. I don’t care who you are, if you’re missing 1/3 of the team things change.
  5. Eagles. For the last 3 years they’ve been at or near the top, I think they are just a step below the teams above them.
  6. Legends. Fast, athletic, scary potential. I’m excited to see them this year, hopefully sooner rather than later

Those are the 6 teams I’ve seen and I’m impressed with. Again, I can’t comment on Real Co or Solar Colvin.

You’re not the only one with a regional bias. I put the out of state teams on top just to have fun with y’all, and because I’m out of state.

No doubt Blues are a strong team. Curious to see if they play a different style with a more technical player in the middle.

Texans tied MVLA at Surf, and beat Solar 3-1 back in January. They also tend to clean up in North Texas, playing 2009 or on the boys side. I’d put them higher.

Of course we are! You can’t tell me @SoccerFan6 that this isn’t exciting though??

You’re not the only one with a regional bias. I put the out of state teams on top just to have fun with y’all, and because I’m out of state.

No doubt Blues are a strong team. Curious to see if they play a different style with a more technical player in the middle.

Texans tied MVLA at Surf, and beat Solar 3-1 back in January. They also tend to clean up in North Texas, playing 2009 or on the boys side. I’d put them higher.

I'm that junkie that goes to tournaments and stays all day to watch games instead of going out with the team. I've seen all the top SoCal teams a lot. I've seen the Blues play short passing and keep away when the other team is overmatched. They just resort to direct play when its a closer matchup and they're trying to win. Eagles are the same way...they can play different styles, it's just tough against top teams. But yes, with the most technical player in the age group (maybe) it will be interesting to see how that changes things in competitive games.

I saw Texans play their last two games at surf cup. They tied MVLA in an impressive performance, but got run off the field against SDSC. The score was 4-2, but it wasn't that close. I was a little disappointed as I wanted to see what a top Texas team could do against a top SoCal team. From what I saw Texas was quite a bit behind. Of course, teams change a lot as the season progresses so no doubt they have improved. But, from where they were in August the 6 teams I listed were all better in my estimation.

It's much more fun when the goats are playing instead of doing toe taps in front of an iPad.
So true! I really didn’t realize how many 2010s were playing up on 2009 clubs last season. I think that people will be surprised on the influx of talent in this age group whenever the season starts.

So true! I really didn’t realize how many 2010s were playing up on 2009 clubs last season. I think that people will be surprised on the influx of talent in this age group whenever the season starts.

Moving to 9v9 is a good time to bring kids back to age group. I expect most teams are adding 1 or 2 this way. Out of state teams that play up might have made the switch a bit earlier.

Totally agree with the list but add Slammers PA.

The teams mentioned above will either be Champions or finalists in hopefully all the big so cal tournaments. I really think all teams added great players and depth and the tournament season will be a fun once to watch.

What teams are in for Surf Cup?

An

and what teams, as you know them to be constituted, can do it with their current rosters?

Surf. I love the way they ended last year, and I love even more the SDSC players they added. 6 months from now I can easily see us talking about how they are the team to beat in state cup. What will it take? Fight, toughness, intensity, will power, composure. The Blues are talented, but all the other teams listed have just as much talent. It's really tough for anyone to match the mentality the Blues bring.

Surf. I love the way they ended last year, and I love even more the SDSC players they added. 6 months from now I can easily see us talking about how they are the team to beat in state cup. What will it take? Fight, toughness, intensity, will power, composure. The Blues are talented, but all the other teams listed have just as much talent. It's really tough for anyone to match the mentality the Blues bring.
It takes a little luck, some timely goals and excellent defense. Our state cup team broke the old recod of zero goals given up in league. I think we outscored everyone 32-0. Won it all and beat Surf in semis and LAFC in finals in San Bernardino, over by the Little League Fields I dreamed of playing at when I was a boy, but my city team lost to Mission Viejo in Regionals. Boy, those were the days :) For those of you who think Blues suck because of some scrimmage, you're in for a treat. OK, Blues is not in the top 10 some say.

Totally agree with the list but add Slammers PA.

The teams mentioned above will either be Champions or finalists in hopefully all the big so cal tournaments. I really think all teams added great players and depth and the tournament season will be a fun once to watch.

What teams are in for Surf Cup?
Don’t know. Might be hard for the out of state teams to justify the trip for 3 games.

It takes a little luck, some timely goals and excellent defense. Our state cup team broke the old recod of zero goals given up in league. I think we outscored everyone 32-0. Won it all and beat Surf in semis and LAFC in finals in San Bernardino, over by the Little League Fields I dreamed of playing at when I was a boy, but my city team lost to Mission Viejo in Regionals. Boy, those were the days :) For those of you who think Blues suck because of some scrimmage, you're in for a treat. OK, Blues is not in the top 10 some say.

I think the scrimmage was against a newly formed Blues team. I know they had 3 teams last year, maybe this is a 4th team???

What team scrimmaged them?

His daughter must play for CDA Slammers HB Crowley, we scrimmaged them right before the break. They won 3-1, good team they have there. It was our third scrimmage as a new team so we weren’t to upset with the result. 2 of the goals came off of mistakes passing out of the back and the other one off a goalie mispunt, small mistakes that can be easily tweaked. They are a good team though and had the better chances. CDA Slammers HB Crowley should be in the Cal South top 10 but I agree we shouldn’t be at the moment until these girls get used to playing together and adapt to this possession style system the coach is teaching them. He doesn’t want them just going long so mistakes are going to happen but once they get it down it will be fun to watch. By seasons end, I am confident this team will be near the middle of that list, speaking in terms of Cal South teams only.

We are still looking to add another player if anyone knows of someone please let me know.

Hope to see everyone back out there soon

I really like that CDA Slammers team... but if it’s true about the second blues team, they should be good in no time. Both of the teams that is forming them are ‘playoff’ teams based on the last couple of years or so.

Back