ECNL Expansion In Socal SW Division

I don’t know what’s worse, bigger clubs trying to sell the value of a 2nd ecrl team to parents or parents falling for this. You dilute the product and you dilute the overall program.
Why does it matter if a club has 2 ECRL teams? You're talking about 2x 2nd teams.

Last year ECNL made changes that allow coaches to play any rostered ECNL or ECRL player in an ECNL game. If you have 2x ECRL teams you have twice the amount of potential ECNL call ups.

Maybe having 2x ECRL teams will dilute the ECRL product. But who cares? Clubs with poor "diluted" ECRL teams will lose.

Personally I think allowing 2x ECRL teams is a trial balloon for allowing certain clubs to field 2x ECNL teams. Clubs like Surf or Blues could easily field 2 quality ECNL teams if given the chance.

[/QUOTE]
Why does it matter if a club has 2 ECRL teams? You're talking about 2x 2nd teams.

Last year ECNL made changes that allow coaches to play any rostered ECNL or ECRL player in an ECNL game. If you have 2x ECRL teams you have twice the amount of potential ECNL call ups.

Maybe having 2x ECRL teams will dilute the ECRL product. But who cares? Clubs with poor "diluted" ECRL teams will lose.

Personally I think allowing 2x ECRL teams is a trial balloon for allowing certain clubs to field 2x ECNL teams. Clubs like Surf or Blues could easily field 2 quality ECNL teams if given the chance.

Why would I want my kid to be part of the Reserve team of the reserve team? For the current ECRL players, why would they want more competition to play up on the ECNL team? Keep in mind many of these poor ECRL teams can barely beat flight 1 teams. How do you allow the 'top ECNL" teams to have more than 2 teams but not allow the "bottom" teams to add? Why stop at 2 ECRL teams, go for 5!!!!

It's all a money making machine with no shame!!!

while youre at it, just eliminate every club in ecnl except blues and surf and give each 10 ECNL teams.

while youre at it, just eliminate every club in ecnl except blues and surf and give each 10 ECNL teams.
Why is 2 ECNL teams an issue if the club continues to field top level competitive teams?

If other clubs could field multiple competitive teams they should have the opportunity as well.

Limiting a club to 1 ECNL team seems like an arbitrary rule that's not in the kids best interest. It does seem like a way to give non performing clubs a way to suck and still make $$$.

Why is 2 ECNL teams an issue if the club continues to field top level competitive teams?

If other clubs could field multiple competitive teams they should have the opportunity as well.

Limiting a club to 1 ECNL team seems like an arbitrary rule that's not in the kids best interest. It does seem like a way to give non performing clubs a way to suck and still make $$$.
slippery slope. why stop at 2? why not 10? then they charge 10k a kid. Slammers already have 2 anyways. and you dont just magically create additional great soccer players. who do you think makes up that 2nd ecnl team? most likely kids from the "clubs that suck"...

slippery slope. why stop at 2? why not 10? then they charge 10k a kid. Slammers already have 2 anyways. and you dont just magically create additional great soccer players. who do you think makes up that 2nd ecnl team? most likely kids from the "clubs that suck"...
I agree they would come from the clubs that suck.

How is this a bad thing for top talent? They'd be able to play for a club that has the ability to win.

I would recommend that you take a starter course in economics.

I agree they would come from the clubs that suck.

How is this a bad thing for top talent? They'd be able to play for a club that has the ability to win.

A lot of the smaller clubs "that suck" do have one or two players that are significantly better than their teammates. Those better players want to play with others that are at their level or higher. In order to be the best you have to play with/against the best. If you have a proven product and are able to recruit, you get a few of these players together and now you have yourself a very competitive team.

A lot of the smaller clubs "that suck" do have one or two players that are significantly better than their teammates. Those better players want to play with others that are at their level or higher. In order to be the best you have to play with/against the best. If you have a proven product and are able to recruit, you get a few of these players together and now you have yourself a very competitive team.
I agree with you on all points. But what you're describing is not occurring at clubs that suck. Why should kids be penalized + forced to play ECNL for a poor club with poor coaching when the exact opposite would occur if winning clubs were allowed 2 ECNL teams?

I don't think they believe results this year will be a criteria. They are the only SW RCNL team without ECNL and it evens out the number of teams in ECNL. They didn't hire Dodge to build an ECRL program...they hired him because of is ties to ECNL leadership from his time with Blues.
Pats are officially in for next year.

Does this put the nail in the coffin for West Coast's chances of ECNL?
GAL / DPL - solid league outside of SoCal.

Back