D1 college soccer under threat

College sports are for the most part not going to happen in the fall. We haven't even gotten past the first wave. In order for the NWSL to pull off their tournament they had to isolate 240 or so players and staff and media and test them about 4-5 times per week and make them exist in a bubble. As the Orlando Pride showed by having to withdraw from the tournament because 33% of their travel party tested positive for Covid. 9 other people got Covid because of one player that went out bar hopping. Multiply that by thousands and it is easy to realize it isn't possible. It will be tough for the NFL season to even happen and there is no way that it happens with fans.

This is going to be a year without college sports.

College sports are for the most part not going to happen in the fall. We haven't even gotten past the first wave. In order for the NWSL to pull off their tournament they had to isolate 240 or so players and staff and media and test them about 4-5 times per week and make them exist in a bubble. As the Orlando Pride showed by having to withdraw from the tournament because 33% of their travel party tested positive for Covid. 9 other people got Covid because of one player that went out bar hopping. Multiply that by thousands and it is easy to realize it isn't possible. It will be tough for the NFL season to even happen and there is no way that it happens with fans.

I guess we will see what happens. It might be different in different areas of the country. Right now we have a report date of 7/27. A very detailed plan that involves testing, isolation, working in pods and other stuff that seems very similar to the bubble NWSL is doing. Also no games till early September. At a minimum it seems like her team is well prepared to practice up until all of the students return to campus. Then we will see what happens as they move into September. At least the infection rate is way lower in her schools area.

Big Ten only playing conference games in football. That means the MAC conference, for instance, just lost over 10 games at Big Ten schools that pay mid six figures each. The MAC schools will now have to begin cutting sports. Dominoes, unfortunately, are falling.
Does anyone stop and ask them why?

The assumption is that somehow playing conference games is safer vs non conference games?

So Michigan flying to Iowa is somehow safer vs Michigan flying to play Texas?

The assumption is that somehow playing conference games is safer vs non conference games?

No, it's for flexibility within the same conference. For example, we can reasonably expect some games will be pushed out or cancelled due to kids testing positive. It's much easier to move schedule around if you have control over the entire league schedule.

I guess we will see what happens. It might be different in different areas of the country. Right now we have a report date of 7/27. A very detailed plan that involves testing, isolation, working in pods and other stuff that seems very similar to the bubble NWSL is doing. Also no games till early September. At a minimum it seems like her team is well prepared to practice up until all of the students return to campus. Then we will see what happens as they move into September. At least the infection rate is way lower in her schools area.

I live in San Diego and we only have a 4% positive rate, which is below the CDC and WHO guidelines, and the positive case numbers are setting records every other day. Until there is 95%+ compliance with masks and social distancing it is going to be hard to get the numbers under control again without another lockdown or a vaccine.

The Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918 took 3 years to run it's course. If history is our guide we should realize that we aren't going to be back to normal until late 2022.

Good luck to you and your player.

I live in San Diego and we only have a 4% positive rate, which is below the CDC and WHO guidelines, and the positive case numbers are setting records every other day. Until there is 95%+ compliance with masks and social distancing it is going to be hard to get the numbers under control again without another lockdown or a vaccine.

The Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918 took 3 years to run it's course. If history is our guide we should realize that we aren't going to be back to normal until late 2022.

Good luck to you and your player.
Let's all go down for the luck down. I thought in March 2,000,000 would die. I also thought healthy people of all ages would get the corona and start gasping for air and just die. So far, that is not happenning. Half the people WHO are on the death list were already dead or about to die. So take half of the deaths off as Corona deaths. Check this Map, my Dr friend from Stanford also said he thinks 15-20% already had or has the virus. So if 10 people go to the ER today for a broken leg, chest pain, car accident or anything not Corona related, 1 or 2 will test positive or they will suspect they had or have the virus. They are now Corona patients. If they came in gasping for air and died, 1 or 2 will already have corona and is now a corona death. That's how my math works.

I think you're right. Man, you must be glad your kid got to finish her college career. Mine lost the last season of her youth career, graduation, prom, and now it looks like her first college season, and with on-line classes, won't have anything like a real college experience. I just can't see how schools are going to possibly pull off fall sports. The big test is going to be what happens in the SEC. There's so much money tied up in football, you know they're going to do all they can to still hold games, but you couldn't pay me to go to a game and sit, crammed together with thousands of other people right now.

To be fair, science has come a LONG way since 1918. I’m willing to place a friendly wager of 1942, we have a Fall College season in 2021.

only caveat being the beer we enjoy when handing over the bottle.....winner has to buy that round.

To be fair, science has come a LONG way since 1918. I’m willing to place a friendly wager of 1942, we have a Fall College season in 2021.

only caveat being the beer we enjoy when handing over the bottle.....winner has to buy that round.
I sure hope you're right about that one, as that's when my DD is supposed to show up on campus ready to play.

I'd be shocked if there were no season in fall 2021 (even if it looks different from the past) - I think that the NCAA will do everything it can to play fall 2020 sports in spring 2021 (of course, perhaps not every college can absorb the facility use) and then back to normal for the 2021-22 academic year. While I'm not expecting a vaccine in the near future - or even at all - I believe there's a reasonable expectation of therapeutics being available. Coronavirus is not a new thing (we've known about them for more than 90 years), even if Covid-19 is a novel coronavirus. The more conservative scientists that I try to listen to (small "c" conservative) give me some confidence. If there are adequate therapeutics, we still may not return to "life as we knew it" but there will be a bit more normalcy w/in continued efforts to reduce transmission. If that happens, I think sports will be on although it may be w/o 100,000 crowds for football or shoulder-to-shoulder fans at a college soccer game at UCLA or Stanford.

More ominously, and even if things are closer to normal in 2021, if there can't be any football for the entire academic year, I'd expect there to be a complete reshaping of college sports. The NCAA is losing so much money (March Madness '20 + Football '20 + March Madness '21) and the specific athletic departments are already struggling - it's hard to imagine a scenario in which scores of sports are not dropped or the # of scholarships/sport reduced . If there is no football in the spring, I doubt there will be soccer in the spring and then I go back to what I wrote upthread: verbal offers may take on a different character and/or NLIs will be delayed since both the schedule and the $$$ available will become great unknowns. It really stinks all the way around.

I'd be shocked if there were no season in fall 2021 (even if it looks different from the past) - I think that the NCAA will do everything it can to play fall 2020 sports in spring 2021 (of course, perhaps not every college can absorb the facility use) and then back to normal for the 2021-22 academic year. While I'm not expecting a vaccine in the near future - or even at all - I believe there's a reasonable expectation of therapeutics being available. Coronavirus is not a new thing (we've known about them for more than 90 years), even if Covid-19 is a novel coronavirus. The more conservative scientists that I try to listen to (small "c" conservative) give me some confidence. If there are adequate therapeutics, we still may not return to "life as we knew it" but there will be a bit more normalcy w/in continued efforts to reduce transmission. If that happens, I think sports will be on although it may be w/o 100,000 crowds for football or shoulder-to-shoulder fans at a college soccer game at UCLA or Stanford.

More ominously, and even if things are closer to normal in 2021, if there can't be any football for the entire academic year, I'd expect there to be a complete reshaping of college sports. The NCAA is losing so much money (March Madness '20 + Football '20 + March Madness '21) and the specific athletic departments are already struggling - it's hard to imagine a scenario in which scores of sports are not dropped or the # of scholarships/sport reduced . If there is no football in the spring, I doubt there will be soccer in the spring and then I go back to what I wrote upthread: verbal offers may take on a different character and/or NLIs will be delayed since both the schedule and the $$$ available will become great unknowns. It really stinks all the way around.
It stinks to high heaven but we need to error on caution here in Cali. Cleats and ball are in storage. New things to do and see. Peace bro.

While I'm not expecting a vaccine in the near future - or even at all - I believe there's a reasonable expectation of therapeutics being available.
I'm curious as to why you don't expect a vaccine. There's an enormous investment of human effort and money and reasonably promising initial results.

I'm curious as to why you don't expect a vaccine. There's an enormous investment of human effort and money and reasonably promising initial results.

Sorry - that was overstated. First, I'm not a scientist but I simply try to read and listen where scientists backed up by data have something to say so my hopes/expectations/speculations are those of a lay-person. I do expect a vaccine at some point but what I meant by "or even at all" was that there are some virus for which we may have therapeutics but no vaccines (HIV, for example) and that could be the case with this or any virus. I just expect therapeutics to be available first. The "a vaccine in 12 to 18 months" that we heard so often around March and April seems really, really fast for a vaccine that is effective and safe and available for wide-spread use but if that were still the timeline, maybe we'd get something in April 2021 - that would be amazing. But it could be years from now as well. But it seems more realistic that they will figure out some type of therapeutic so that if we are able lower transmission rates and treat those who become symptomatic, we will not have the same health nightmare that we do now (I think Feb 6 was the first death in CA - we are at 130,000+ in 5 months. Fuuuuuuuuck).

Good questions, makes no sense what so ever. I just heard USC changed course and is now going virtual in fall. I for one am shocked that the NCAA and athletic directors are making dumb decisions. Normally, the NCAA and its 300 rubber stampers that make six figures a year only care about the student athlete.

Sorry - that was overstated. First, I'm not a scientist but I simply try to read and listen where scientists backed up by data have something to say so my hopes/expectations/speculations are those of a lay-person. I do expect a vaccine at some point but what I meant by "or even at all" was that there are some virus for which we may have therapeutics but no vaccines (HIV, for example) and that could be the case with this or any virus. I just expect therapeutics to be available first. The "a vaccine in 12 to 18 months" that we heard so often around March and April seems really, really fast for a vaccine that is effective and safe and available for wide-spread use but if that were still the timeline, maybe we'd get something in April 2021 - that would be amazing. But it could be years from now as well. But it seems more realistic that they will figure out some type of therapeutic so that if we are able lower transmission rates and treat those who become symptomatic, we will not have the same health nightmare that we do now (I think Feb 6 was the first death in CA - we are at 130,000+ in 5 months. Fuuuuuuuuck).
Yes, the 12 to 18 month timeline very fast. I follow the Times link below. Just hoping that the AstraZeneca vaccine that is in Phase III trials in South Africa and Brazil goes well.

Even if there is one, 20% may not use it since they think soros or gates is behind it. If 20% doesn't take it, it doesn't go away. That is why TB made a comeback for the first time in 50 years.
Those people won't be a problem. They'll still be in their basements getting deliveries dropped at their door. ;)

Some experts estimate 70% for herd immunity. At this point, I'll just be thrilled to have a viable vaccine. If a bunch of people don't want to get the vaccine, they can get antibodies the old-fashioned way.

Interesting that you mention, TB. CNN just posted something about one of the TB vaccines apparently giving some level of protection against COVID. Scientists are researching its possible use for COVID.

Those people won't be a problem. They'll still be in their basements getting deliveries dropped at their door. ;)

Some experts estimate 70% for herd immunity. At this point, I'll just be thrilled to have a viable vaccine. If a bunch of people don't want to get the vaccine, they can get antibodies the old-fashioned way.

Interesting that you mention, TB. CNN just posted something about one of the TB vaccines apparently giving some level of protection against COVID. Scientists are researching its possible use for COVID.

That's us. My wife just wont do it. I support her.

You are a good husband and I'd like to think I'd do the same. What is our choice, anyway? "Whatever you want, honey" is my "go to" response.
I watched my wife eat like a rabbit for over 20 years. I swear she is never sick. No infections. No flu, no fevers. I swear. Why should she have to inject poison like a virus from Wuhan that we really no nothing about? Even if Dr Fauci said it was perfectly safe and he would inject it himself she said no way. I dont blame her and I believe she deserves the right.

Back