Club soccer stuff that drive you nuts...

Slammers is like Starbucks...they're on every corner. On top of that, (and forgive the wording)none of them are the same. CDA Slammers BFE is not Slammers Newport.

Any team that forces you to a massive club-wide tryout event rather than allowing the player to slot into a training.
There is actually a very good reason why some of them do this. They don't want to constantly disrupt the current teams' practices since many tryouts are taking place weeks (or even months) before the season is over. So the clubs do a massive tryout first, then invite just a few back for a more dedicated session.

You can certainly argue tryouts should not take place until after the season is over, but I think we're already too late for that conversation.

There is actually a very good reason why some of them do this. They don't want to constantly disrupt the current teams' practices since many tryouts are taking place weeks (or even months) before the season is over. So the clubs do a massive tryout first, then invite just a few back for a more dedicated session.

You can certainly argue tryouts should not take place until after the season is over, but I think we're already too late for that conversation.
By the way, after 2-3 years of club soccer, who goes to tryouts other than ayso players and existing players that are staying? If you are leaving, then you know which teams you like and attend some practices. Every player that has joined our team for a few years has come to practice based on coaches rep and team success. After a practice or two they get offer or recommendation for other team.

By the way, after 2-3 years of club soccer, who goes to tryouts other than ayso players and existing players that are staying? If you are leaving, then you know which teams you like and attend some practices. Every player that has joined our team for a few years has come to practice based on coaches rep and team success. After a practice or two they get offer or recommendation for other team.

Very few kids ever stand out at cattle calls. Even then, it tells me 0 about your team. It just shows me that the coach has no problem wasting hours of my time at a one-side, limited value event.

Any team that forces you to a massive club-wide tryout event rather than allowing the player to slot into a training.
In some cases there are way too many kids who want to come tryout. At some point the coach wants to coach their team. It is disruptive always having a new player(s) in a training session. What if the coach wants to work on set pieces and finishing today? Nope. Can't do it because we got to give another kid a look today. It disrupts your team.

In some cases there are way too many kids who want to come tryout. At some point the coach wants to coach their team. It is disruptive always having a new player(s) in a training session. What if the coach wants to work on set pieces and finishing today? Nope. Can't do it because we got to give another kid a look today. It disrupts your team.
That's why we need to have a better defined tryout period. You shouldn't have random kids showing up if you are preparing for a season game or tournament. But it happens all the time.
Is the coach going to focus more on what the team needs to be successful on the weekend or on impressing a new player/parent with an amazing array of cones and equipment.

That's why we need to have a better defined tryout period. You shouldn't have random kids showing up if you are preparing for a season game or tournament. But it happens all the time.
Is the coach going to focus more on what the team needs to be successful on the weekend or on impressing a new player/parent with an amazing array of cones and equipment.

It really isn't that hard to tell inquiring players to come to a practice in a down week. I'm not advocating an open door policy. Just that the Club-Wide cattle calls are a waste of time for the players and parent. For coaches, they might see the rare player that stands out at one of these things... but then they ALWAYS want to see them at an actual practice. These cattle calls are extremely limited value for coaches and basically no value for players/parents.

It really isn't that hard to tell inquiring players to come to a practice in a down week. I'm not advocating an open door policy. Just that the Club-Wide cattle calls are a waste of time for the players and parent. For coaches, they might see the rare player that stands out at one of these things... but then they ALWAYS want to see them at an actual practice. These cattle calls are extremely limited value for coaches and basically no value for players/parents.
Cattle call tryouts are actually great for filling the rosters of the lower level teams. Parents should still ask for an individual tryout with the team before signing the check.

The number one thing about club soccer that drives me nuts is the multiple different leagues that claim to be top level. Top level teams should rarely have to leave Southern California for games. Lower level teams should never leave the state for games.

The end of the mask wars will be a nasty as the beginning as people find themselves on flipped sides. Those that support the new Biden white house position will be the ones saying they are pro science where before they were labeled the Karens for ranting in public about not wearing the masks. Those that oppose the new policy will be labelled antiscience and now find themselves on the ranting end of things.

p.s. if airplanes are so dangerous that they are the main exception to the mask rules, does that mean all the studies they hired to try to prove airplanes were safe for travel because of the filtration systems were just bunk????

p.s. if airplanes are so dangerous that they are the main exception to the mask rules, does that mean all the studies they hired to try to prove airplanes were safe for travel because of the filtration systems were just bunk????
sorry again wrong thread! apologies

The end of the mask wars will be a nasty as the beginning as people find themselves on flipped sides. Those that support the new Biden white house position will be the ones saying they are pro science where before they were labeled the Karens for ranting in public about not wearing the masks. Those that oppose the new policy will be labelled antiscience and now find themselves on the ranting end of things.

Oh my. Gee, I wonder why I hated school so much. I saw this earlier and had to breath slow for one hour before I came back. School needs a big redo as well.

Turning this what drives me nuts thread around for a sec...

My daughter’s team scrimmaged a younger boys team the other day. Swift, skilled players, and saavy parents cheering for BOTH teams, recognizing standout moments from all the players and gently heckling the boys when one of the girls got the best of them. Final score:
4-1 with a dose of fun, mutual respect and comraderie.

Low leverage situation makes for the opposite of wound-to-tight club games!

Turning this what drives me nuts thread around for a sec...

My daughter’s team scrimmaged a younger boys team the other day. Swift, skilled players, and saavy parents cheering for BOTH teams, recognizing standout moments from all the players and gently heckling the boys when one of the girls got the best of them. Final score:
4-1 with a dose of fun, mutual respect and comraderie.

Low leverage situation makes for the opposite of wound-to-tight club games!

So don't leave us in suspense...who won?

(yeah, I realize there's a hidden meaning to my question).

Back