Club soccer stuff that drive you nuts...

Turning this what drives me nuts thread around for a sec...

My daughter’s team scrimmaged a younger boys team the other day. Swift, skilled players, and saavy parents cheering for BOTH teams, recognizing standout moments from all the players and gently heckling the boys when one of the girls got the best of them. Final score:
4-1 with a dose of fun, mutual respect and comraderie.

Low leverage situation makes for the opposite of wound-to-tight club games!

Was this in a community based club? (Loaded question also)

My assumption is that it was or there would have been other scrimmage pairing availability.

That said, you either have a great community or intra-club dynamic that promotes respect. Kudos!

Was this in a community based club? (Loaded question also)

My assumption is that it was or there would have been other scrimmage pairing availability.

That said, you either have a great community or intra-club dynamic that promotes respect. Kudos!
I don’t know much about how the scrimmage was arranged other than linkage between coaches. Girls side a GA squad. Boys were a team from Anaheim.

Turning this what drives me nuts thread around for a sec...

My daughter’s team scrimmaged a younger boys team the other day. Swift, skilled players, and saavy parents cheering for BOTH teams, recognizing standout moments from all the players and gently heckling the boys when one of the girls got the best of them. Final score:
4-1 with a dose of fun, mutual respect and comraderie.

Low leverage situation makes for the opposite of wound-to-tight club games!
Were they from the same club? We do that occasionally and it's usually pretty low-pressure / fun for all.

That has been my experience, as well. The GK parents tend to be the most over the top parents. Not sure why
LOL. As a parent of a goalkeeper let me explain...you sit there as a parent cheering your child for making an incredible save that involved them putting their face in front of kicking feet while scared to death they will soon have to replace teeth, and/or get a concussion, and/or a permanent scar on their face or worse. You know the ball that went in the goal was from the mistake that the defender left the back bar at the last second on a corner kick yet it is highly unlikely any other parent knows what happened. You know every technical aspect of the position from sitting at hours of trainings for years so you know what was just a good ball in the goal, what just requires more experience, or you know your kid made a mistake while other people that don't understand the position think every goal in is a goalkeeper mistake. You can tell by your kid's body language they are beating themselves up for it and all you want to do is yell that you are human and young, mistakes are part of learning, and if you keep focusing on the one that got past you are going to miss the next one. You also want to yell at that ignorant coach that fails to recognize the position requires mental grit like no other position so saying stupid shit prior to a penalty kick or after a mistake while in a game is best done at practice .....yet you can't do any of that for obvious reasons.

Over the years I have become calmer mostly because I stopped drinking caffeine before games and my daughter finally has a coach that gets it mostly because he was a goalkeeper. None the less I kick the imaginary ball while sitting in my chair, coach my daughter to myself (yes I talk to myself), and try to film her only to get videos of the grass at my feet. Fortunately I have some mental blackout when she is pummeled by the other team so by the time I am able to process what has occurred, it is too late to yell at anyone.

Most importantly....it takes a nut job to love the position enough to sacrifice themselves to the level they do so it would stand to reason their parents are most likely nut jobs as well!

LOL. As a parent of a goalkeeper let me explain...you sit there as a parent cheering your child for making an incredible save that involved them putting their face in front of kicking feet while scared to death they will soon have to replace teeth, and/or get a concussion, and/or a permanent scar on their face or worse. You know the ball that went in the goal was from the mistake that the defender left the back bar at the last second on a corner kick yet it is highly unlikely any other parent knows what happened. You know every technical aspect of the position from sitting at hours of trainings for years so you know what was just a good ball in the goal, what just requires more experience, or you know your kid made a mistake while other people that don't understand the position think every goal in is a goalkeeper mistake. You can tell by your kid's body language they are beating themselves up for it and all you want to do is yell that you are human and young, mistakes are part of learning, and if you keep focusing on the one that got past you are going to miss the next one. You also want to yell at that ignorant coach that fails to recognize the position requires mental grit like no other position so saying stupid shit prior to a penalty kick or after a mistake while in a game is best done at practice .....yet you can't do any of that for obvious reasons.

Over the years I have become calmer mostly because I stopped drinking caffeine before games and my daughter finally has a coach that gets it mostly because he was a goalkeeper. None the less I kick the imaginary ball while sitting in my chair, coach my daughter to myself (yes I talk to myself), and try to film her only to get videos of the grass at my feet. Fortunately I have some mental blackout when she is pummeled by the other team so by the time I am able to process what has occurred, it is too late to yell at anyone.

Most importantly....it takes a nut job to love the position enough to sacrifice themselves to the level they do so it would stand to reason their parents are most likely nut jobs as well!
Hahahahahaha, I love this and it made my day. I was GK back in the day and I would give up my body to save the day for my mates. One game, it got real chippie. I one crazy kid back in the day and it makes sense why I played the position. My adopted mommy was nuts too for adopting and foster caring for 8 kids. I forgot to mention she ran a rest home for older people whose kids didn;t like so my mom helped them instead.

In addition to the good ball and experience sometimes it’s just height as they are growing. The first couple years in the big goal are painful. Even the tallest of boy keepers can’t yet cover the corners and a favorite tactic of coaches at that age is smack it over the keeper instead of on the ground. But when the keeper fills in the goal 3 years later those strikers are in for a nasty surprise that they do know how to hit ground shots to the corner and the keepers just tip it over

Oh, I have another one, maybe this is just OCD. Why would teams have their coaches last name in their "official" name?

e.g. "LA Buttfaces B05 "Gomez""

That bothers me to no end. Clubs should have naming standards if they have more than one team in the same age group.

For example:
"LA Buttfaces B05 Gold"
"LA Buttfaces B05 Silver"

Or
"LA Buttfaces B05 Premier"
"LA Buttfaces B05 Elite"

Or something. But having the freaking last name is annoying.

Oh, I have another one, maybe this is just OCD. Why would teams have their coaches last name in their "official" name?

That bothers me to no end. Clubs should have naming standards if they have more than one team in the same age group.

For example:
"LA Buttfaces B05 Gold"

Or
"LA Buttfaces B05 Elite"

Or something. But having the freaking last name is annoying.

I would like to add that I would prefer it to just say
B05 Academy
B05 Flight 1
B05 Flight 2

The colors vary so much from club to club that one clubs blue academy is another clubs flight 3.

B05 Academy
B05 Flight 1
B05 Flight 2

The colors vary so much from club to club that one clubs blue academy is another clubs flight 3.
I think we need more transparency. I propose:
B05 Really good players and team.
B05 Farm system-- possibilities and potential.
B05 We are stealing your money and you should be playing AYSO and this so called development coach is on probation for something really bad that happened last year so was stuck with this crap team.

I think the LA Buttfaces is a totally reasonable name on their own merit, and I really hope this club takes off. Will their logo contain the poop emoji?

For example:
"LA Buttfaces B05 Gold"

Or
"LA Buttfaces B05 Elite"

LA Buttfaces is a perfectly acceptable team name on their own merit. I really hope this club takes off.

I think we need more transparency. I propose:
B05 Really good players and team.
B05 Farm system-- possibilities and potential.
B05 We are stealing your money and you should be playing AYSO and this so called development coach is on probation for something really bad that happened last year so was stuck with this crap team.

I would agree that this system is accurate!!

B05 Academy
B05 Flight 1
B05 Flight 2

This would work for academy or ECNL, but the flights and colors (gold, silver, ...) change from year to year, so this might get confusing. Some clubs may have two teams in the same bracket as well.

By far the most annoying thing for me with club soccer are the parents who treat a U11 league match like it's the Champion's League final and feel like they have the right to scream at a 13 year old AR because they think he got the throw-in call wrong. Fucking chill, people. My son started reffing at 12 only to quit during his first season because a rec coach screamed in his face. These were 8 year olds wearing colored Hanes T-shirts playing on a gopher infested middle school field. Had I been there I would have picked up a charge.

By far the most annoying thing for me with club soccer are the parents who treat a U11 league match like it's the Champion's League final and feel like they have the right to scream at a 13 year old AR because they think he got the throw-in call wrong. Fucking chill, people. My son started reffing at 12 only to quit during his first season because a rec coach screamed in his face. These were 8 year olds wearing colored Hanes T-shirts playing on a gopher infested middle school field. Had I been there I would have picked up a charge.
100% agree with this. Horrible parent behavior ruins the game and experience for the kids

I see this alot in the 2009-2012 group right now

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 7.53.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 7.53.05 AM.png
    272.3 KB · Views: 49
Back