Club soccer stuff that drive you nuts...

I never realized there was some rule about where you sit during the game.
I recall seeing it from CalSouth in the past, in writing where to sit, but I can't find it now. some tournaments very specifically list where spectators can sit, usually across from the bench, and some very specifically paint a DMZ at the center line.

i've been in the situation tho of sitting away from toxic people or in the shade, regardless of what side I'm on, and as long as i'm quiet most referees/coaches/other parents don't care.

it drives me crazy when club soccer killed my daughter's passion and enthusiasm for the game. she went from living and dying for every game, strongly considering playing in college. to just wanting to be done with club and declining to play state cup because the team was just awful to her and the coach didn't care.

it drives me crazy when club soccer killed my daughter's passion and enthusiasm for the game. she went from living and dying for every game, strongly considering playing in college. to just wanting to be done with club and declining to play state cup because the team was just awful to her and the coach didn't care.

So sorry to hear this. Hopefully you can convince her to try another team where the culture will be better. I used to think that a better culture didn't exist but we finally found a team last year - now that there are the usual changes taking place I really hope the culture doesn't change.

My latest thing that I laugh at is all the teams advertising a "pathway to ... (ecnl, mls next, ga etc) . Very few players will get promoted in club in my experience.

So sorry to hear this. Hopefully you can convince her to try another team where the culture will be better.

after 2020, and then a 2021 that wasn't fun, and we'd already paid all the fees, it was mostly a life lesson of tolerating people who don't deserve it. Just like going to work every day. She's off to college in 2 months and is looking forward to finding a intermural team on campus or a local adult team.

This one hits close to home. My DD called it quits last season after COVID hit.

DD spent nearly 7 seasons with the same coach / trainer who mentally broke her down the last two seasons she played ECNL. We pulled her and threw a hail mary transferring to a new club looking for a change in culture. It didn't work out as the new team was still too "close to" the situation and it didn't really amount to a fresh start. There was resentment from coach / parents who proactively reached out to her new teammates families to ensure her nightmare continued.

There are so many aspect of what happened that makes me realize that some adults really have not experienced adversity or consequences for their actions in life. As an adult who has had his share of a$$ whoopings growing up, you learn real fast that once you cross certain lines, there are consequences that will come your way, and to see adults cross those lines nonchalantly with no remorse was truly eye opening.

My favorite (sarcasm) was her ex-coach / trainer texting one of the parents on the new team to get updates and give orders on how to make things difficult for my DD. It definitely did not surprise me that the ex-coach did this but the parent who was on the new team certainly gave me something to remember.

Lesson learned all around, and onward and upwards. My wife and I are fully invested in making this a teachable moment for our DD and have embraced her desire to start fresh in other sports / activities.

after 2020, and then a 2021 that wasn't fun, and we'd already paid all the fees, it was mostly a life lesson of tolerating people who don't deserve it. Just like going to work every day. She's off to college in 2 months and is looking forward to finding a intermural team on campus or a local adult team.
So many girls are burned out by all the lies and misinformation the last few years. Truly sad what some men will do to make money off the hard work of females. These girls will be moms someday and I bet most will stay clear of what some of them had to endure unless sweeping changes happen asap. My dd is going to give it one more try because she loves to play the game and have fun with other girls playing soccer. If her team is booted from the so-called top league, well then she will go play with the tier 2 players. At this point, my advice is to find a team for 12 months and hope all goes well and the lying is limited to just a little white lie and not a big fat lie. One of the head honcho Docheads back in the day told her if she left his club she will be black listed so college might not in the cards for her. She's find and is surfing as I speak. The good in all this she never had to live in a girls home for girls soccer players or play 12 months out of the year and I didnt have to spend $15,000 traveling all of the country. This is insane!!!

DD spent nearly 7 seasons with the same coach / trainer who mentally broke her down the last two seasons she played ECNL. We pulled her and threw a hail mary transferring to a new club looking for a change in culture. It didn't work out as the new team was still too "close to" the situation and it didn't really amount to a fresh start. There was resentment from coach / parents who proactively reached out to her new teammates families to ensure her nightmare continued.

There are so many aspect of what happened that makes me realize that some adults really have not experienced adversity or consequences for their actions in life. As an adult who has had his share of a$$ whoopings growing up, you learn real fast that once you cross certain lines, there are consequences that will come your way, and to see adults cross those lines nonchalantly with no remorse was truly eye opening.

My favorite (sarcasm) was her ex-coach / trainer texting one of the parents on the new team to get updates and give orders on how to make things difficult for my DD. It definitely did not surprise me that the ex-coach did this but the parent who was on the new team certainly gave me something to remember.

Lesson learned all around, and onward and upwards. My wife and I are fully invested in making this a teachable moment for our DD and have embraced her desire to start fresh in other sports / activities.
That sucks bro!!! I'm truly sorry to hear that. My dd had spies after her watching her ever social media post, all before high school. Had one top coach tell me he knows everything my dd is doing. He told me he had spies, no joke. I'm telling you all, you can;t treat girls like boys, end of story. Karma be coming soon!!! Anyway, we ALL learned from this Tech. I truly love you man :)

That sucks bro!!! I'm truly sorry to hear that. My dd had spies after her watching her ever social media post, all before high school. Had one top coach tell me he knows everything my dd is doing. He told me he had spies, no joke. I'm telling you all, you can;t treat girls like boys, end of story. Karma be coming soon!!! Anyway, we ALL learned from this Tech. I truly love you man :)
Since this is round 2 for me (older boys just graduated and dropped soccer when they got to HS).

My motto with my little girl is to enjoy her playing soccer regardless of the level. Push her to get private training but only if she wants to do it on that given week. Finally, expect her to quit any month and be ready to embrace any of her new sports or other activities.

Since this is round 2 for me (older boys just graduated and dropped soccer when they got to HS).

My motto with my little girl is to enjoy her playing soccer regardless of the level. Push her to get private training but only if she wants to do it on that given week. Finally, expect her to quit any month and be ready to embrace any of her new sports or other activities.
My motto was spoken to my baby girl back in 8th grade. She was told a by Mr. Boza Dochead that if she left his league that she will be giving up her chance at this and that. I'm not here anymore to bring up the obvious. it's a fact Jack, many 2021s and 2022 and some 2023s have had it very difficult these last 15 months. I'm super serious. Transfer portal for college is through the roof. All that means is the coaches have more to look at for next season. Plus all girls can come back for another season. Grad students as well. These are very very times.

I recall seeing it from CalSouth in the past, in writing where to sit, but I can't find it now. some tournaments very specifically list where spectators can sit, usually across from the bench, and some very specifically paint a DMZ at the center line.

i've been in the situation tho of sitting away from toxic people or in the shade, regardless of what side I'm on, and as long as i'm quiet most referees/coaches/other parents don't care.
Leagues have, in the past, specified where parents sit; CSL posted rules had the team and parents sitting on the same side of the field with the centerline separating them; SCDSL rule was both teams on one side of the field with the centerline separating them, with the parents across the field facing their team.
If you played a tournament hosted by an SCDSL club, the rules reflected that set-up and the same for CSL hosted tournaments.
After 12 years as a club soccer parent, I'm still not sure if one is better than the other!

Dude your dd's situation honestly sucks and its horrible that there are so many relatable stories involved with youth soccer. I've been accused of a lot of things with my dd's last team and definitely understand the frustration involved with parents who obviously had no consequences for their actions when they were younger. Just have to believe that karma's a bitch and the bridges that those parents are burning now are not going to be there later when they need to cross them.

Leagues have, in the past, specified where parents sit; CSL posted rules had the team and parents sitting on the same side of the field with the centerline separating them; SCDSL rule was both teams on one side of the field with the centerline separating them, with the parents across the field facing their team.
If you played a tournament hosted by an SCDSL club, the rules reflected that set-up and the same for CSL hosted tournaments.
After 12 years as a club soccer parent, I'm still not sure if one is better than the other!

You're right, it was SCDSL that had the rule, not CalSouth.

That honestly sucks and I am very sorry to hear that happened to your daughter. Having said that, what are you doing to make sure there are consequences for this coach? Would it be possible to name and shame them on the forum by saying something non-commital about how your daughter had a bad experience with this coach/team/club? Did you get a screen shot of the text? If so, did you report the coach to that club's DOC and board? Heck, I would post it on the club's social media feed as a comment.

That honestly sucks and I am very sorry to hear that happened to your daughter. Having said that, what are you doing to make sure there are consequences for this coach? Would it be possible to name and shame them on the forum by saying something non-commital about how your daughter had a bad experience with this coach/team/club? Did you get a screen shot of the text? If so, did you report the coach to that club's DOC and board? Heck, I would post it on the club's social media feed as a comment.
The details are not important, but my son had a DA coach a few years ago who was a complete a-hole and destroyed my son's passion for soccer. I reported him to the club president with specific examples of his behavior. Other families with the exception of one, who were onboard with reporting him backed out for fear of retribution to their kid. The club did nothing, despite ample evidence from the two families and the annual coaches survey from other families (they claimed since the surveys were anonymous they couldn't follow up on complaints...WTF) . We left the club, but my kid was cut anyway and we weren't going to reward the club with fees for playing with a lower team. He is in a great spot now and has finally regained his passion for the game, but it took a couple years. I'm not a fan of publicly shaming clubs or coaches, or anyone you have a dispute with. I just think its in poor taste. I think you should deal with the individuals directly and move on. Interestingly, the co-coach with the a-hole just recently offered my son a spot to play up on his ECNL team. You never want to burn bridges, particularly in youth soccer, since clubs and coaches are always changing.

The details are not important, but my son had a DA coach a few years ago who was a complete a-hole and destroyed my son's passion for soccer. I reported him to the club president with specific examples of his behavior. Other families with the exception of one, who were onboard with reporting him backed out for fear of retribution to their kid. The club did nothing, despite ample evidence from the two families and the annual coaches survey from other families (they claimed since the surveys were anonymous they couldn't follow up on complaints...WTF) . We left the club, but my kid was cut anyway and we weren't going to reward the club with fees for playing with a lower team. He is in a great spot now and has finally regained his passion for the game, but it took a couple years. I'm not a fan of publicly shaming clubs or coaches, or anyone you have a dispute with. I just think its in poor taste. I think you should deal with the individuals directly and move on. Interestingly, the co-coach with the a-hole just recently offered my son a spot to play up on his ECNL team. You never want to burn bridges, particularly in youth soccer, since clubs and coaches are always changing.
I can respect your position, but if you get to a point where you are done with soccer, sharing information via these forums is the only power we parents have. That is why I freely vent on coaches that in my opinion do not treat children with respect (Baker, Ocampo, Lemay) on this forum.

I can respect your position, but if you get to a point where you are done with soccer, sharing information via these forums is the only power we parents have. That is why I freely vent on coaches that in my opinion do not treat children with respect (Baker, Ocampo, Lemay) on this forum.
I get it and I should clarify, I'm happy to let anyone know who the coach or club is if they ask privately. I just don't put it on public broadcast. I know some of the names you mention are already well known publicly for their antics, seems they've earned that "honor".

I'm 100% in favor of parents taking back the power. Unfortunately, some problem parents with their whining have made it difficult for other parents to ask legitimate questions and have Coach/Club take the questions seriously (particularly when Coach/Club think parents are the problem, and not the customer, in youth soccer)

I think the concern, and I'm guilty too, is that we all post ambiguous posts about certain negative issues/people with the clubs. But, if we didn't, then we could warn others of the bad actors. I guess everyone who has a kid graduating could drop the names and issues without fear of retribution???
It is awful reading these posts and what some of these kids/families have been through.

I think the concern, and I'm guilty too, is that we all post ambiguous posts about certain negative issues/people with the clubs. But, if we didn't, then we could warn others of the bad actors. I guess everyone who has a kid graduating could drop the names and issues without fear of retribution???
It is awful reading these posts and what some of these kids/families have been through.
I think part of the knowledge share should be to focus on what to watch out for as we all look for a team for our kids. For example watch out for:
- screaming coach during games
- parents that don’t talk to each other
- team keeps having many players quit the team
- bad behavior on the sidelines from coaches or parents
- how many players get promoted to the higher teams.

It’s probably not enough but it’s a start. I made a mistake 7 years ago to get my boys to join a team where the coach had a high performing team but never went to see his games. The coach was a screamer and would often get red carded.

My motto was spoken to my baby girl back in 8th grade. She was told a by Mr. Boza Dochead that if she left his league that she will be giving up her chance at this and that. I'm not here anymore to bring up the obvious. it's a fact Jack, many 2021s and 2022 and some 2023s have had it very difficult these last 15 months. I'm super serious. Transfer portal for college is through the roof. All that means is the coaches have more to look at for next season. Plus all girls can come back for another season. Grad students as well. These are very very times.

People are just beginning to grasp how tough it will be for 2022, 2023, and 2024 players. That extra year of eligibility for all athletes effectively means that 5 years of players are competing for 4 years of scholarships. For 4 years, coaches won't know for certain how many scholarships they have because they don't know how many seniors will elect to play 5 years. And while they COULD tell those players they don't have a scholarship for them, most coaches will not do that for a player who has given them 4 years.

Hit hardest are those programs who over-recruit and count on players who don't get playtime transferring out. UCLA, UNC - these programs bring in 10+ kids every year. You do the math.

It puts Div 2 and T2 Div 1 coaches in an interesting spot. Good players are being squeezed for scholarship dollars and playtime, and may be receptive to hearing from these coaches who can provide that. Might be an equalizer and we might see good D1 talent dropping down a level in the next 4 years.

Things that drive me nuts......

1-parents who constantly talk about how great of a soccer player their child is to other parents
2- parents who constantly yell the whole game especially at showcases how great their child did,example (insert name after every compliment) great kick , good pass, good move, good throw in etc..
3-parents who do nothing for their child but expect other parents on the team to take their child to every practice, games even out of state while they sit at home or are out doing things for themselves. But what drives me even more nuts are the suckers who fall for the lies
4- parents who keep their child on a team with 22 rostered and play scrap minutes just so they can say their child is on an “Elite”team
5- coaches who play favoritism
6- when new players come to a team and the existing players refuse the pass the new players the ball or they are not welcoming to the new players
7- when coaches are influenced by a manager or parent
8- when refs fail to control a game and players get injured.
9- when parents say tasteless comments to opposing players
10- when a parent asks for a scholarship but is out taking vacations and walking around with expensive name brand stuff
11- cocky coaches
12- parents who sit on opposing side and cheer loudly
13- players who take cheap shots at other players during the game and post it online. 14- the proud parents who record those moments and condone their child posting it

Back