Where is Andres Deza

To bring back the gryphons into force north comment, that only happened because gryphons was folding when AD started taking players to Force. Other players left to other clubs as well. They had no choice but to become force north to stay stable. It worked for awhile. Like many of those top coachinging personalties, they love the top end players who help them bolster they resumes. Middle or team and bottom, it's often a bad experience in terms of being cared about. I think it's a great move to leave nor cal at this point. He gets back into ECNL and at a top notch club players wise. Plus the faculties. What else do you need to succeed? Hope that contract has a buyout clause the way Surf has been going through directors last 5 years though.

Or maybe he's an asshat who quickly wears out the welcome mat?

He should chase the big dollars, nothing wrong with that. Also nothing wrong for people to form their opinions based on first hand knowledge and an established pattern. Welcome to the forum - where opinions are shared.

Just the fact that you are so strenuously defending this guy forces me to question his motives (and I could care less). With that said, he has the right to seek greener pastures. I'm sure many in NORCAL would say buyer beware.

If he were wearing out welcomes, he’d be getting fired rather than leaving for better jobs, and he wouldn’t have nearly as many families following him from club to club. He is just pissing off; (1) cheapskate parents and clubs who don’t want to pay what he is worth; (2) parents of kids who aren’t that good are upset that the best player on their kid’s team left for better coaching; and (3) parents of kids who didn’t do well under him.

Surf is lucky to have him. I can’t wait to hear the crazy Surf parents freak out.

To bring back the gryphons into force north comment, that only happened because gryphons was folding when AD started taking players to Force. Other players left to other clubs as well. They had no choice but to become force north to stay stable. It worked for awhile. Like many of those top coachinging personalties, they love the top end players who help them bolster they resumes. Middle or team and bottom, it's often a bad experience in terms of being cared about. I think it's a great move to leave nor cal at this point. He gets back into ECNL and at a top notch club players wise. Plus the faculties. What else do you need to succeed? Hope that contract has a buyout clause the way Surf has been going through directors last 5 years though.

Let’s see. Gryphons was essentially a U12 club, no real program of olders, and no girls teams over U15. It did not and could not play in ECNL, and there was no pathway for development of elite kids at Gryphons as they got older. The Gryphons board fully supported its DOC giving its players the best possible advice for their future - go to an ECNL club.

Parents should welcome a DoC who tells families that they should do what is best for them, even if that means leaving the club. Even if it is that they need to face the harsh reality that their kid just isn’t very good and that they are reaching the end of the line. Essentially, the Gryphons whackadoo parents were upset that Deza was instructing the parents of elite players to do what was best for them, and the whackadoo parents whose kids weren’t very good that it wasn’t going to happen for them. That was best for them too, although we all know how crazy soccer parents get when they’re told their kid isn’t the next Mia Hamm.

Why is it that a job is a job and congrats are in order any time someone finds a better job, unless it is girls youth soccer coach, in which case they owe it to the children to stay in a crappy job forever? Correct me if I am wrong, but he left Gryphons for a better job at Force, he left Force for a better job at Quakes, and he left Quakes because GDA collapsed so the job went away. So now he’s going to Surf, which seems like a great opportunity as far as girls youth soccer jobs are concerned. Isn’t that how careers are supposed to work?

And why shouldn’t kids follow the person they like and want to coach their kid? Since when are children the personal property of Gryphons? Force? Quakes? Barca/Force North? Why is it never the fault of the s**ty cheapskate club that refuses to pay their coaching talent what it takes to keep them? Why is it that s**ty clubs think they should be allowed to force coaches to work for sub-market wages? Why do they think customers should be prohibited from going to a better club that pays its employees better and therefore attracts better talent?

I have no idea what you’re talking about wrt to the U17 national team, but maybe you should criticize the actual coach and those who selected that team, rather than the guy who had one pretty insanely good player (and national HS player of the year) on that team. You must be a serious Deza hater to blame him for the U17s when he wasn’t even the coach. Oh, and the U17s haven’t done jack in almost 15 years yet the full national team is the strongest and most dominating it has ever been. Why is that? Because U17 world cups are a joke. Because U17s in most countries that excel play and train together constantly, while the US throws kids together for a couple weeks and hopes individual talent with no team cohesion will get it done. If U17 world cups were indicative of anything, North Korea would have the best full national team in the world right now.

I believe at least 4 Deza kids have played at or are committed to Stanford in a 6 year span, including a full NT player, at least 8 have gone Ivy, another 8-10 to Cal, 2 each to UCLA and Duke, etc. There are maybe 4 other coaches in the entire US with his creds. So why are you so petty? Did your daughter’s best teammate leave for better coaching, dashing your hopes of a U13 super team?
Easy Bozo. You were making a good argument until the last two sentences.

To bring back the gryphons into force north comment, that only happened because gryphons was folding when AD started taking players to Force.
I thought Gryphons had some sort of problem where NorCal wouldn't admit them into league play as a club. It was a long time ago and we weren't involved with the club, so I don't remember it clearly.

Glad we have found where he is! Now this thread has turned into one of the 35 old NorCal threads that turned into a Deza the greatest or Deza the worstest. I have only had limited access and he/his team wasn't a fit for my daughter and she was the one that made the decision both times to not go that road.

Glad we have found where he is! Now this thread has turned into one of the 35 old NorCal threads that turned into a Deza the greatest or Deza the worstest. I have only had limited access and he/his team wasn't a fit for my daughter and she was the one that made the decision both times to not go that road.
I saw him coach two games. His teams played beautiful soccer. I do not know him personally. I wish him the best :)

If he were wearing out welcomes, he’d be getting fired rather than leaving for better jobs, and he wouldn’t have nearly as many families following him from club to club. He is just pissing off; (1) cheapskate parents and clubs who don’t want to pay what he is worth; (2) parents of kids who aren’t that good are upset that the best player on their kid’s team left for better coaching; and (3) parents of kids who didn’t do well under him.

Surf is lucky to have him. I can’t wait to hear the crazy Surf parents freak out.
Certainly some truth to parents/players that have followed him.

You seem to be fan, good for you. He seems to be well connected and there is certainly a track record of success. Doesn't rule out the whispers that he's an asshat. Parents will plug their nose in order to do what they think is best for little janie. Nothing wrong with that, it's how the elite youth athlete game is played.

Stylistically, his teams are fun to watch, we've played against his quakes teams for a few years (same style of soccer). Great matches, won some, lost some.

Those surf teams will only get better.

I've heard great things about the way his teams play. I'm sure for the truly elite player - He will be a great fit.
And this not just for coach AD- but for a lot of the coaches that people feel are "Elite" - There will be many players under these coaches that will play at the highest level of college and a few that will make a living as a pro player- As evidenced above by someone saying how many Stanford, National Team, etc players he has been involved with.
But how many players have quit the game at too young of an age because some bald guy with an accent pushes them too much, too early? (A lot of the blame here belongs on the parent for putting their kid in the wrong environment) It's not just in soccer that this happens (see the recent "gymnastics" issues) . I say "buyer beware"- And really know if your player has the physical and mental toughness to be that type of player. There is nothing wrong with playing for a coach that doesn't berate you and playing for a "local" team.

I come from the old school where high school sports were king. You had A-hole HS coaches in most sports. But these coaches weren't full time football, basketball, baseball., soccer coaches. They had some other main source of income. They coached because they knew the game and loved (maybe just "liked") the game. They weren't making high-5 to 6 figure salaries and moving across the country for a "better" job to coach middle school or HS aged athletes. They stuck close to home and were part of the community. They seemed to do it for the kids and not for trying to get themselves elevated to a higher level of status in the youth coaching ranks.

Most people on this board would recognize if someone said "Tad", "Ebert", "Platini", "Walid" or "Camargo" at a dinner party (even if your kid never played for them). Why do we give these guys celebrity status? How many of you know the name of your kids Math or English teacher?

I've heard great things about the way his teams play. I'm sure for the truly elite player - He will be a great fit.
And this not just for coach AD- but for a lot of the coaches that people feel are "Elite" - There will be many players under these coaches that will play at the highest level of college and a few that will make a living as a pro player- As evidenced above by someone saying how many Stanford, National Team, etc players he has been involved with.
But how many players have quit the game at too young of an age because some bald guy with an accent pushes them too much, too early? (A lot of the blame here belongs on the parent for putting their kid in the wrong environment) It's not just in soccer that this happens (see the recent "gymnastics" issues) . I say "buyer beware"- And really know if your player has the physical and mental toughness to be that type of player. There is nothing wrong with playing for a coach that doesn't berate you and playing for a "local" team.

I come from the old school where high school sports were king. You had A-hole HS coaches in most sports. But these coaches weren't full time football, basketball, baseball., soccer coaches. They had some other main source of income. They coached because they knew the game and loved (maybe just "liked") the game. They weren't making high-5 to 6 figure salaries and moving across the country for a "better" job to coach middle school or HS aged athletes. They stuck close to home and were part of the community. They seemed to do it for the kids and not for trying to get themselves elevated to a higher level of status in the youth coaching ranks.

Most people on this board would recognize if someone said "Tad", "Ebert", "Platini", "Walid" or "Camargo" at a dinner party (even if your kid never played for them). Why do we give these guys celebrity status? How many of you know the name of your kids Math or English teacher?
The Elite coach coupled with an elite player or players. I get to thinking, Commander Mike Metcalf. Call sign Viper.

I saw him coach two games. His teams played beautiful soccer. I do not know him personally. I wish him the best :)
Surf should have just kept Jose Ocampo. They would still be playing the same beautiful soccer I watched his high school girls play tonight. There were a few elites but for the most part they played as a unit with good vision, movement, and execution. Ocampo told my daughter that he wanted to save her legs for the Blues this weekend when he pulled her out. She told him not to worry about her legs with the style of soccer they were playing. It was great to see a Varsity girls team just pinging the ball around the back, up the sides and through the middle as the movement relentlessly broke down defensive pressure. Pretty demoralizing for opponents.

Surf should have just kept Jose Ocampo. They would still be playing the same beautiful soccer I watched his high school girls play tonight. There were a few elites but for the most part they played as a unit with good vision, movement, and execution. Ocampo told my daughter that he wanted to save her legs for the Blues this weekend when he pulled her out. She told him not to worry about her legs with the style of soccer they were playing. It was great to see a Varsity girls team just pinging the ball around the back, up the sides and through the middle as the movement relentlessly broke down defensive pressure. Pretty demoralizing for opponents.
I got there when CC was leaving ((nice man CC was to my family. He said so many glowing things about my dd, I can;t share because EOTL will make fun of her again)). The new leadership of dads took over and the rest is history. I saw Jose ((has a bro too?)) up close and he taught from the back too. I forget the Jamaican coach's name, but he had the best 03/04 team in the country in 2012. I think it was U9 and they killed everybody besides the Socal Blues. One of my dd previous clubs had to do a combo all star North & South team from the IE to try and knock Goliath off at baby surf cup but we lost in OT in semis. My dd tied the game with .06 left to send the match to PKs. My dd hit her PK but one of our GOATs hit cross bar and we lost to the 2012 #1 team in country SD Surf. Those Ocampo bros were really good. To this day I never have heard anything sad about them.

Last edited:

Can I get an AMEN! Preach!

If a kid quits, it wasn’t the bald guy with the accent’s fault. It was their parent’s for pushing them too hard, putting them in the situation that was unacceptable, and failing to do anything while it went on and on for months. Or maybe it was nobody’s fault and she just grew out of soccer. A parent blaming the coach for a kid hating a sport is just an excuse to lay blame somewhere other than where it belongs.

I got there when CC was leaving ((nice man CC was to my family. He said so many glowing things about my dd, I can;t share because EOTL will make fun of her again)). The new leadership of dads took over and the rest is history. I saw Jose ((has a bro too?)) up close and he taught from the back too. I forget the Jamaican coach's name, but he had the best 03/04 team in the country in 2012. I think it was U9 and they killed everybody besides the Socal Blues. One of my dd previous clubs had to do a combo all star North & South team from the IE to try and knock Goliath off at baby surf cup but we lost in OT in semis. My dd tied the game with .06 left to send the match to PKs. My dd hit her PK but one of our GOATs hit cross bar and we lost to the 2012 #1 team in country SD Surf. Those Ocampo bros were really good. To this day I never have heard anything sad about them.
Jose and his brother Adrian's Varsity girls put on a clinic last night. Their transition game was solid. Surf is sorely missing what they already had nearly 10 years ago.

If a kid quits, it wasn’t the bald guy with the accent’s fault. It was their parent’s for pushing them too hard, putting them in the situation that was unacceptable, and failing to do anything while it went on and on for months. Or maybe it was nobody’s fault and she just grew out of soccer. A parent blaming the coach for a kid hating a sport is just an excuse to lay blame somewhere other than where it belongs.
There you go. Thoughtfully confrontational. Lets build on that.

He does train his teams to play some really wonderful soccer, no doubt about that.

Back