What's your best guess as to when trainings will resume?

I took some time to go back and read, "posts from the past." Most of the GDA folks who loved to travel all over the country and "pay so they can make sure dd starts 25% of the games and play all the time" are some of the same people who now want soccer stopped at all cost. It's interesting and revealing all in one.

Anyone else see the post that Surf Cup is on for August 7-9 for older girls? Older Boys are scheduled even earlier, August 1-3. Are they crazy? Full crazy games for kids who have not had games since March. It's all about the money for them $$$ even though they say it is to get players in front of coaches. Youngers don't need it yet they are also scheduled later in the month.
I think it has more to do with not losing prestige to Silver Lakes. If they gave olders a short weekend with fewer scouts, they would lose more top teams to the other tournament. So they are trying to be nice to you guys.

If it were money, they probably get more money from youngers. There are more of us, and we bring more adults when we travel. Besides, grandpa’s wallet opens wider for the first Surf Cup than the fifth.

You don't need to "see it" or "believe it" for the tournament to happen. For parents who aren't comfortable, they can keep their kids home. The parents who are comfortable can attend the tournaments. As more and more data come out there is going to be less and less ground to stand for counties and cities to tell business's they can't operate. If they are opening the beaches than they can open Surf Cup

The unfortunate reality, though, is this has become political, and even wrapped up with the presidential election, and for those of us who'd like to see soccer go forward, we live in a blue state. The question is whether a) as we open up, things don't turn noticeably worse, and b) whether pressure can be brought to bear from other countries/states/counties opening up so that people complain. How "bad" the virus is and the science behind all this is almost a side show (with some Republicans saying no masks ever, and some Democrats saying masks everywhere even when outside and exercising). Kid's soccer is now just a pawn in the political game, and I really don't know what's going to happen, but I do believe large tournaments with large crowds and out of state guests are probably not going to be allowed in California (if it happens, it will be scaled back).

There may never be a vaccine just like so many other viruses. Life goes on. You don't have to send your kids to any tournaments. There are a lot of people that would. You can take the year off. There are lots of people out there that are ready to play right now specially at higher levels. All they need to do is sign a waiver and get going. The chances of kids getting very sick from this virus is less than getting hurt in an accident.
LaRoca ECNL 05 team in Utah has a player who tested positive for Coronavirus yesterday and the team has to stop training completely for 2 weeks.

Time to let the shinny happy people out to test the waters. Everyone else stay home through Summer, Fall and Winter. I promise to find a way to deliver food and essentials to everyone who feels the need to stay home. Lighten up people and put a smile on your face and get happy :)

You don't need to "see it" or "believe it" for the tournament to happen. For parents who aren't comfortable, they can keep their kids home. The parents who are comfortable can attend the tournaments. As more and more data come out there is going to be less and less ground to stand for counties and cities to tell business's they can't operate. If they are opening the beaches than they can open Surf Cup
It's not about me and what I do or don't want to see, or a choice to just keep your kid home if you don't like it. It's about permits, insurance, legislation logistics, timelines, etc.etc. It's highly unlikely that will happen by the beginning of August.

LaRoca ECNL 05 team in Utah has a player who tested positive for Coronavirus yesterday and the team has to stop training completely for 2 weeks.
My friend's dd tested positive and worked at a place in OC. I won;t mention names but the whole company didn;t go on a 14 day go home orders. I guess youth sports is over until we get more information. People will be tested more and more and this will only get worse.

While I agree 100% with your sentiment, its not up to citizens to choose, its solely up to our politicians (ultimately Newsom) to allow. Over a week ago, SD County sent Newsom a list of activities to accelerate reopening (ie Phase 3 activities to be reopened in current Phase 2). All of the activities have been approved by Newsom with the exception of the request to reopen youth sports training (not to exceed 12 players). I'd be very surprised to see the Surf Cup happen at the beginning of August, but I hope I'm wrong.

It's not about me and what I do or don't want to see, or a choice to just keep your kid home if you don't like it. It's about permits, insurance, legislation logistics, timelines, etc.etc. It's highly unlikely that will happen by the beginning of August.
Why is it highly unlikely? Is that your opinion or do you have facts to support it? CRL has scheduled games in August and surf cup is happening in August as well. CRL is run by Cal South and surf wouldn't put on the tournament if they didn't have the logistics, timelines, permits, insurance, etc. down. So it seems like this is your opinion?

Why is it highly unlikely? Is that your opinion or do you have facts to support it? CRL has scheduled games in August and surf cup is happening in August as well. CRL is run by Cal South and surf wouldn't put on the tournament if they didn't have the logistics, timelines, permits, insurance, etc. down. So it seems like this is your opinion?
What Watfly said

The beach being open is not a fair comparison. Running a large tournament like Surf Cup with food and beverage and kids playing a contact sport with full sidelines is not the same as families physical distancing on the beach. A tournament is probably closer to a county fair, which have all been cancelled.

It also might not be an issue of families choosing but it not actually being allowed to happen.

Another thing they might have is disaster insurance - expenses covered if they have to cancel.

It's actually not about whether we open up because we will open up sooner or later. The more important question is what happens if someone tests positive after we open up. Serie A said they can't really have a season because the Italian health authority requires the entire team to quarantine for two weeks. That pretty much throws the entire league schedule out of the window if one or two players test positive.

Take school for example. If one kid tests positive, will the new policy require the school to quarantine that one kid and business as usual for everyone else, or do you shut down the entire school for two weeks? If you have to shut down and re-start periodically, that's a more unmanageable situation for working parents.

Why focus on Surf? It is almost impossible to make that safe.

It is much easier to make it safe for two teams to play on a high school field.

Even if they allow tournaments, do we want to risk holding a super spreader event that becomes the excuse for shutting down all games again?

It's actually not about whether we open up because we will open up sooner or later. The more important question is what happens if someone tests positive after we open up. Serie A said they can't really have a season because the Italian health authority requires the entire team to quarantine for two weeks. That pretty much throws the entire league schedule out of the window if one or two players test positive.

Take school for example. If one kid tests positive, will the new policy require the school to quarantine that one kid and business as usual for everyone else, or do you shut down the entire school for two weeks? If you have to shut down and re-start periodically, that's a more unmanageable situation for working parents.
With this kind of thinking, we should just all stay home forever. There always will be someone getting sick no matter what you do.

Even if they allow tournaments, do we want to risk holding a super spreader event that becomes the excuse for shutting down all games again?
There is so much new info coming out daily that shows the spread is only a little bit more than the flu and a lot of research has proven that the quarantine did not change or affect anything. Keep the elderly at home, parents be smart, kids go play and don't worry about all this. dad4, I respect your view and if you don't feel comfortable with your kid practicing or playing until YOU feel it is safe, that is your decision and you can make that. But, I can guarantee a lot of kids are dying to get out and play again and things are going to get going in the next month.

The problem with tournaments like Surf are the fees. What happens if they cancel the tournament just days before? What happens if they cancel it after the 1st day.

The other problem is that kids are really getting some level of mental exhaustion being at home. I can see it as a parent that kids are getting bored, tired, and sleeping more. Yes we do zoom classes and go on hikes but kids need to be kids. If we keep them quarantined through August, that will be 5 months of lack of social interaction.

We just need to eventually move on. We have zero COVID deaths for kids under 17 years of age in California.

If all goes well, the NWSL will play 25 games June 27-July 26 behind closed doors at Zions Bank Stadium in Herriman and Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy.

The plans aren't perfect.

The New York Times reported that the 25 games in Utah will be the only games the NWSL will play in 2020.

Players are not required to participate, and that includes U.S. national team players, who are undecided about playing, reported Yahoo Sports.

“Each player will have her own decision to make,” Baird said on a media conference call. “We will not require anybody to play in the tournament.”

And for all the protocols put into place by the 15 members of the NWSL medical task force to prevent a COVID-19 outbreak, there is no guarantee that something won't go wrong.

To my Dear Soccer Family, it's time to play. Let each player and family decide. Each parent and dd will sign the "No guarantee that something could go wrong" agreement and we won;t sue for acl or broken bones or if they get the flu. Those who have reasons to stay home, can and should. Let the kids play!!!!

There is so much new info coming out daily that shows the spread is only a little bit more than the flu and a lot of research has proven that the quarantine did not change or affect anything.

How do you deal with the backlash if your kid has the virus and is asymptotic and she still attends practice? How do you convince the other parents that it is ok for their child to get the virus, and its just the flu? Some people treat you like you are a murderer if you have the virus and still walks around like normal when in fact it is just a flu.

Back