Washington governor opens up state for youth soccer training and games

Savage, do you live in Washington? If you do, was there any heads up that this guidance was coming out?
I lived in Washington until June and now live in south Orange County. There appeared to be some heads up because one of our old clubs sent an email a week earlier suggesting this announcement was coming. Washington Youth Soccer had polished emails ready to do once the announcement was made so pretty sure they were a driving force behind the announcement. Thus my criticism of California State Soccer Association South and North who appear to be led by Sheeple who seem uninterested in challenging the logic behind the current youth sports guidance in California and advocating for their membership.

1. Since you broke the quote bars, I'm not sure if you are responding to me or not - but I will assume so.
2. I can't read the whole letter because it is behind a paywall.
3. It's a letter to the Editor, that anyone can write (and, based on my own observations, many more get published now than in the past because of the low cost of the online version).
4. Responding only to the headline -- some might think it is a good thing Newsom acted and saved millions of lives.
5. In what manner do you think this is a logical response to what I asked?
Dude he said 25 million Californians would be infected by May. His science has been wrong from day 1; as for saving lives, it’s the opposite he’s killing lives daily look around and research the drug use increase, alcohol increase, murders increase, spousal abuse increase, suicides increase. His Science is killing lives more daily.

All of the usual "ignored" members have moved in. The Bad News thread is the best home for you and you should probably just take up residence there because we don't want your infection.

Back to soccer opening up...I know there have been some petitions etc. but I feel that isn't going to do it. I am pretty certain Youth sports isn't even a thought process right now which is so wrong and frustrating. I am also pretty certain that the decision makers have no idea the amount of money that moves through our economy from youth sports and is being spent in Arizona and Utah as well as others. I believe they have been silent to an activity that impacts thousands upon thousands of youth in our State and businesses not because of risk of spread from COVID, but because they are ignorant and/or overwhelmed and no one is screaming loud enough for our youth. If they had any idea, youth sports would have been at least addressed in some form when they issued the tier guidance.

All of the usual "ignored" members have moved in. The Bad News thread is the best home for you and you should probably just take up residence there because we don't want your infection.

Back to soccer opening up...I know there have been some petitions etc. but I feel that isn't going to do it. I am pretty certain Youth sports isn't even a thought process right now which is so wrong and frustrating. I am also pretty certain that the decision makers have no idea the amount of money that moves through our economy from youth sports and is being spent in Arizona and Utah as well as others. I believe they have been silent to an activity that impacts thousands upon thousands of youth in our State and businesses not because of risk of spread from COVID, but because they are ignorant and/or overwhelmed and no one is screaming loud enough for our youth. If they had any idea, youth sports would have been at least addressed in some form when they issued the tier guidance.
I think the best thing we can do is write the governor, and ask/push our clubs and affiliated organizations (US Club, NorCal, SoCal, etc) to advocate on our behalf. Hopefully everyone is doing that writing in addition to complaining on the forum.

You actually have something here.....our local school district would never open even for hybrid model if parents didn't put enough heat at the board meetings. Nobody will do anything nowadays unless someone is putting a lot of heat on it.

1. Since you broke the quote bars, I'm not sure if you are responding to me or not - but I will assume so.
2. I can't read the whole letter because it is behind a paywall.
3. It's a letter to the Editor, that anyone can write (and, based on my own observations, many more get published now than in the past because of the low cost of the online version).
4. Responding only to the headline -- some might think it is a good thing Newsom acted and saved millions of lives.
5. In what manner do you think this is a logical response to what I asked?

How many lives did Newsom save?

I think the best thing we can do is write the governor, and ask/push our clubs and affiliated organizations (US Club, NorCal, SoCal, etc) to advocate on our behalf. Hopefully everyone is doing that writing in addition to complaining on the forum.

Newsom has at least 1 kid that plays youth sports. Well, it's probably a kid of the best friend whose wife he banged, but I've seen him at sporting events. Don't think he's not aware of it.

You actually have something here.....our local school district would never open even for hybrid model if parents didn't put enough heat at the board meetings. Nobody will do anything nowadays unless someone is putting a lot of heat on it.
Given that it took them a month to issue a 1 page guidance that they obviously slapped together with no considerable thought and input from stakeholders, I am not feeling hopeful. Sending letters and petitions are probably being reallocated to the trash bin. What speaks loudly is bad press especially national press. Maybe if we could get 1 reporter to ask a question during a press conference with Governor Newsom, maybe that could be a trigger to start the conversation such as:

1. Given that 3 out of 4 households have at least 1 child participating in youth sports and it has been shown to be a billion dollar industry, why is California the only State to not even address youth sports with any meaningful guidance in over 2 months since we have become one of the lowest risk states?

2. Have you met with or intend to meet with the individual stake holder governing organizations to determine the best guidance for each sport so guidance by sport and/or risk by sport could be properly addressed like what was recently done in Nevada and Washington?

I don't think we have time to protest on the steps of the capital because we are busy traveling to other states so our kids can play. haha

The only real barrier I see to the return of club soccer is field space. In SoCal, club soccer uses many public school fields. Most public schools are still closed to in-person classes or have a greatly modified schedule for in-person classes. I can't see how schools will be issuing field permits for club soccer until they are fully opened.

The only real barrier I see to the return of club soccer is field space. In SoCal, club soccer uses many public school fields. Most public schools are still closed to in-person classes or have a greatly modified schedule for in-person classes. I can't see how schools will be issuing field permits for club soccer until they are fully opened.
I am not sure but I was guessing that if there was guidance issued by the State allowing games/scrimmages, the various attorneys/insurance companies for the Districts and sports arenas would be more willing to advise moving forward with business as usual.

There are High Schools all over LA county that have begun “distance training” for their Athletic programs. If that can happen, why can’t they rent the fields? This is actually one possible avenue to help our cause. Field rental REVENUE!

The advice on dining makes no sense because eating in restaurants makes no sense.

Just learn to cook or get take out. Treat yourself to some nice dinners after the vaccine is out.
It does appear that outdoor dining is a low risk. I noticed that Colorado has had indoor dining - with spacing - for some time now and their cases were low until U of CO started the semester on campus. I did notice that a couple of restaurants were closed down due to staff having the virus, but there was no indication of how they got it. I'll admit indoor dining is not something I advocate, but it doesn't appear to have moved the needle there.

It does appear that outdoor dining is a low risk. I noticed that Colorado has had indoor dining - with spacing - for some time now and their cases were low until U of CO started the semester on campus. I did notice that a couple of restaurants were closed down due to staff having the virus, but there was no indication of how they got it. I'll admit indoor dining is not something I advocate, but it doesn't appear to have moved the needle there.
Please support your local businesses particularly restaurants whether dine-in or takeout, depending on your risk tolerances. My attitude is if food servers are comfortable going back to work then I should be willing to support them. If you can afford it, please tip fully on takeout...we're all in this together.

Riverside county is allowing 25% indoor occupancy. Temecula schools are starting back up in a few weeks on a hybrid schedule. Soccer is back to allowing 1v1/2v2 etc. Seems like we are moving in the right direction. SDSL is supposed to have games at the end of the month. We shall see!

Back