Vaccine

I take it you only own gas cars.

At our house, the electric car gets used more than the gas one. It's easier to park, more fun to drive, and the heat comes on quicker.

The usual pattern is the electric goes first, and whoever wakes up late gets the gas one.
I don't, I think the technology is great although I don't know if at the end of the day it really leaves a smaller carbon footprint. I'd like to get an electric car when the time comes for a new car. The idea of not paying for gas is a strong incentive.

However, while buying an EV is a reality for me, its not for most American's at this time. It's not just cost but charging, you really need to be a homeowner to charge it in most cases.

They are certainly feasible for the bulk of SoCal short-commute driving. If you are planning a trip to Mammoth, the closest bet would be a hybrid that can charge its own batteries.

The ideal of practicality would be an electric car charged at a house equipped with solar panels (with occasional top-offs at one of the free charging stations some stores and shopping centers offer to their customers.

Why are we discussing electric cars in a vaccine forum? :p:p:p

Well, since this is a soccer board, anyone who goes to a tournament in Temecula and sees the line at the electric charge stations just off the freeway at the gas stations on Sunday when the tournament ends, and the weekend hotels are emptying, can see the issue. You sometimes can't even get into a charging port and have to wait 5-6 cars deep to get a slot. I've also seen arguments from tired commuters there complaining over where the line starts and who cut it. No thanks. Fix that issue first.

Why are we discussing electric cars in a vaccine forum? :p:p:p

Well, since this is a soccer board, anyone who goes to a tournament in Temecula and sees the line at the electric charge stations just off the freeway at the gas stations on Sunday when the tournament ends, and the weekend hotels are emptying, can see the issue. You sometimes can't even get into a charging port and have to wait 5-6 cars deep to get a slot. I've also seen arguments from tired commuters there complaining over where the line starts and who cut it. No thanks. Fix that issue first.
I brought it up as an analogy, so my bad. ;)

We went with a teammate in their Tesla to a regular season MLS Next game in LA (completely sketchy part of town). I was surprised how slammed the charging stations were. At one we had to wait 20 minutes to charge plus charging time added a lot of time to our travel.

A great article on the failure of experts. Most things fail. The only difference is that now the internet has exposed the failures for everyone to see at the click of a mouse, but the politicians (backed by the expert priestly caste) continue to overpromise. The experts though still with all their hubris thought they could control COVID and then inflation, leading to a crisis in confidence for our institutions.

I don't, I think the technology is great although I don't know if at the end of the day it really leaves a smaller carbon footprint. I'd like to get an electric car when the time comes for a new car. The idea of not paying for gas is a strong incentive.

However, while buying an EV is a reality for me, its not for most American's at this time. It's not just cost but charging, you really need to be a homeowner to charge it in most cases.

A couple of additional problems:

1. Doesn't take into account the construction and battery replacement.
2. Wind and solar isn't as clean as initially thought. There is environmental damage from their existence, environmental damage from their maintenance and the battery storage problem. To be truly clean, it would need to be connected to an atomic source.

2. Wind and solar isn't as clean as initially thought. There is environmental damage from their existence, environmental damage from their maintenance and the battery storage problem. To be truly clean, it would need to be connected to an atomic source.

We can't have a serious conversation about electric cars until we include nuclear in the conversation.

So you are listening to the experts now?

So you are listening to the experts now?
I always listen to the experts and weigh with my own reason the arguments they make from both sides.

People like you and dad4 listen to the experts that confirm your priors and then discount the views of those that disagree with you as snake oil salesmen and not true "experts". It helps too if the "experts" that you like are in the establishment and not outsiders.

I will concede my bias is for the plucky outsiders and don't passers. It's just serendipity that it serves me well in the current era.

I always listen to the experts and weigh with my own reason the arguments they make from both sides.

People like you and dad4 listen to the experts that confirm your priors and then discount the views of those that disagree with you as snake oil salesmen and not true "experts". It helps too if the "experts" that you like are in the establishment and not outsiders.

I will concede my bias is for the plucky outsiders and don't passers. It's just serendipity that it serves me well in the current era.
I don't think you read very much of what I post.

I read every word. You are my favorite after all. You always bring a smile to my face.

I just sometimes have difficultly distinguishing on your part the deliberate intentional comedy from the pure happenstance.
You certainly get under his skin. It's oddly fascinating to see. I do wonder sometimes why you even bother responding since his posts speak for themselves.

Electric vehicles have what is known as a long tailpipe.

Most are unaware that they are far from zero emission vehicles.

Vid does a good job explaining that.

They are certainly feasible for the bulk of SoCal short-commute driving. If you are planning a trip to Mammoth, the closest bet would be a hybrid that can charge its own batteries.

The ideal of practicality would be an electric car charged at a house equipped with solar panels (with occasional top-offs at one of the free charging stations some stores and shopping centers offer to their customers.
How about the ability to afford one in these inflationary times?

How about the ability to afford one in these inflationary times?
Inflation cuts both ways. Gas prices and oil changes are up, too.

Assuming a $25,000 electric versus a $15,000 gas car. The extra car payment is about $190 per month. Fuel cost difference is about $170 per 1000 miles, plus another $20 for oil changes.

So, if you drive about 1000 miles per month, your monthly bill is about the same.

Inflation cuts both ways. Gas prices and oil changes are up, too.

Assuming a $25,000 electric versus a $15,000 gas car. The extra car payment is about $190 per month. Fuel cost difference is about $170 per 1000 miles, plus another $20 for oil changes.

So, if you drive about 1000 miles per month, your monthly bill is about the same.
Yes…now if you can’t afford a $25k car right now and gas prices are killing your budget what do you do….THAT IS MY POINT

Yes…now if you can’t afford a $25k car right now and gas prices are killing your budget what do you do….THAT IS MY POINT

Not for everyone but my Allant+ 8 handles most of my commuting and many around town errands nicely. I think the last tank of gas we bought was probably late June. About 3K new.

Not for everyone but my Allant+ 8 handles most of my commuting and many around town errands nicely. I think the last tank of gas we bought was probably late June. About 3K new.
As you drive electric in style, make sure to thank the kids in your heart for their labor. Costco just announced they will not sell diesel.

1660085425871.png

They have a search warrant issued by a Federal Judge. That means the FBI/DOJ swore an affidavit that there was probable cause of finding evidence of a crime.
Fool proof no? never an example of a bad warrant ever issued? Maybe it's legit in this case..don't really care....our government always does things by the book, the Ts dotted and the Is teed.

Back