Vaccine

They have a search warrant issued by a Federal Judge. That means the FBI/DOJ swore an affidavit that there was probable cause of finding evidence of a crime.

Oh man

Did the the FBI pinky swear as well?

Did this reach the highest levels of the FBI and DOJ?

never heard this before

So you admit you won't make an effort to save democracy.

I vote !

Now if saving democracy means hyperventilating over everything Trump has done the last 6 years , well I guess I just fall short on that requirement

Even though I know the FBI/DoJ just has had an impeccable record( especially regarding Trump) and should be trusted no questions asked . I’d like to see the goods on raiding a former President”s residence over classified materials , that as president he could have declassified

Sachs lays out his argument more completely here.

ttps://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2202769119

He is absolutely correct IMO in calling for openness in the funding history between American and Chinese coronavirus researchers. Completely reasonable. Although, if you've ever read through one of these funding applications, short of them saying "lets change the genome backbone we've been working with for 10 years to this new thing" I doubt it would produce anything definitive.

The problem with Sachs IMO is that, although he nuances it in academic speak, he basically accuses this guy, Daszak, along with his Chinese collaborators of engineering Cov2. It's really quite specific. Sachs initially appointed Daszak as head of his much heralded Lancet origins committee. Tensions within the committee have been well described. Some of Sachs' points-like the "what about the three deleted genome sequences" have turned out to be mostly duds (when you delete something from the internet it's never really gone). And the read he places on the FOIA material liberated by the Intercept-once you actually read it-doesn't really mesh well with what he takes it to mean. Sachs always comes back to is the furrin cleavage site as evidence of engineering, specifically Daszak/EcoAlliance engineering. Yet it is now clear that these cleavage sites (which potentiate activation of the spike protein for infection) are widespread in naturally occurring Cviruses. In the PNAS article I linked at the top in the sequence line up for his Figure 1 he only adds the SARS Cov2 FCS to make it appear that the FCS is completely unique. That's disingenuous and Sachs knows it, or should know it. So he loses some credibility for me.

Manmade construction of this virus is definitely possible. History is important so might as well keep looking for that evidence, since at this point nothing else will be dispositive. It will have to be a genome signature, document, or some IC evidence. Links are below. "h" cut off to kill annoying hyperlinks since most won't care but it's something i've been looking at for some time.

ttps://www.science.org/content/article/fights-over-confidentiality-pledge-and-conflicts-interest-tore-apart-covid-19-origin-probe
ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Daszak
ttps://theintercept.com/2021/09/06/new-details-emerge-about-coronavirus-research-at-chinese-lab/
ttps://www.scientificamerican.com/article/deleted-coronavirus-genome-sequences-trigger-scientific-intrigue/
ttps://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1873506120304165

Brutal.

The most interesting things that I got as chair of the Lancet commission came from Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuits and whistleblower leaks from inside the U.S. government. Isn’t that terrible? NIH was actually asked at one point: give us your research program on SARS-like viruses. And you know what they did? They released the cover page and redacted 290 pages. They gave us a cover page and 290 blank pages! That’s NIH, for heaven’s sake. That’s not some corporation. That is the U.S. government charged with keeping us healthy.

He is absolutely correct IMO in calling for openness in the funding history between American and Chinese coronavirus researchers. Completely reasonable. Although, if you've ever read through one of these funding applications, short of them saying "lets change the genome backbone we've been working with for 10 years to this new thing" I doubt it would produce anything definitive.

The problem with Sachs IMO is that, although he nuances it in academic speak, he basically accuses this guy, Daszak, along with his Chinese collaborators of engineering Cov2. It's really quite specific. Sachs initially appointed Daszak as head of his much heralded Lancet origins committee. Tensions within the committee have been well described. Some of Sachs' points-like the "what about the three deleted genome sequences" have turned out to be mostly duds (when you delete something from the internet it's never really gone). And the read he places on the FOIA material liberated by the Intercept-once you actually read it-doesn't really mesh well with what he takes it to mean. Sachs always comes back to is the furrin cleavage site as evidence of engineering, specifically Daszak/EcoAlliance engineering. Yet it is now clear that these cleavage sites (which potentiate activation of the spike protein for infection) are widespread in naturally occurring Cviruses. In the PNAS article I linked at the top in the sequence line up for his Figure 1 he only adds the SARS Cov2 FCS to make it appear that the FCS is completely unique. That's disingenuous and Sachs knows it, or should know it. So he loses some credibility for me.

Manmade construction of this virus is definitely possible. History is important so might as well keep looking for that evidence, since at this point nothing else will be dispositive. It will have to be a genome signature, document, or some IC evidence. Links are below. "h" cut off to kill annoying hyperlinks since most won't care but it's something i've been looking at for some time.

ttps://www.science.org/content/article/fights-over-confidentiality-pledge-and-conflicts-interest-tore-apart-covid-19-origin-probe
ttps://theintercept.com/2021/09/06/new-details-emerge-about-coronavirus-research-at-chinese-lab/
ttps://www.scientificamerican.com/article/deleted-coronavirus-genome-sequences-trigger-scientific-intrigue/
In the big picture of the path our country takes, the source of the virus is much, much less important than the public trust of all the scientists, reporters, agencies, and organizations involved in the process of determining what happened. One real conspiracy/coverup undermines trust immensely. One real event such as this spawns many more that are based on nothing and get their credibility simply due to the lack of trust in these experts and organizations.

No, its like Biden telling us to go buy electric cars. Maybe a great idea, but not practical or feasible.
I take it you only own gas cars.

At our house, the electric car gets used more than the gas one. It's easier to park, more fun to drive, and the heat comes on quicker.

The usual pattern is the electric goes first, and whoever wakes up late gets the gas one.

It doesn't speak very highly of the scientific community if opinion can be shaped by the personal differences between scientists. It's very troubling in fact. Will Sachs be disciplined or censured for publicly stating certain falsehoods, or disingenuous opinion? It seems particularly critical in Sach's
case since he holds such a prominent position in the scientific community. Is there a Code of Ethics for scientists with ramifications for violating it? I'm a CPA (although I don't practice publicly anymore) and there are serious ramifications for violating the Code of Ethics which are enforced by the State association. Sometimes its just a public censure in the State Association newsletter, but it call also be a temporary or permanent suspension of your license. You're also required every 4 years to take an ethics course. Is there a continuing education requirement for scientists to take ethics training? The reason for this is 100% to instill public trust in the profession.

Like you said it goes to credibility and that's been a serious problem during the pandemic. This has lead to a mistrust by the general public of scientific opinion and studies. To me its a lot more dangerous for scientists to promote misinformation than it is for joe blow to do it on social media. Ironically its only Joe Blow who seems to get censured. Scientists have to be more careful with their opinions since they are imbued with an inherent credibility because were not supposed to question "science".

Regardless of Sach's credibility, there are enough red flags to warrant a thorough and unbiased investigation into the lab. Unfortunately, I don't think it "could" happen because China won't allow it and have already destroyed any evidence, I also don't think it "would" happen because the scientific community wouldn't want egg on its face.

I also think a investigation is warranted because of the lack of evidence for zoonotic origin for Covid. We have yet to identify a source animal or an intermediary animal for human spread. This is very unlike SARS where we identified dozens of Civets with the virus. So until we do the lab leak is a viable, arguably more viable, theory than zoonotic source of the virus.

No, its like Biden telling us to go buy electric cars. Maybe a great idea, but not practical or feasible.
They are certainly feasible for the bulk of SoCal short-commute driving. If you are planning a trip to Mammoth, the closest bet would be a hybrid that can charge its own batteries.

The ideal of practicality would be an electric car charged at a house equipped with solar panels (with occasional top-offs at one of the free charging stations some stores and shopping centers offer to their customers.

Back