Vaccine

Electric vehicles have what is known as a long tailpipe.

Most are unaware that they are far from zero emission vehicles.

Vid does a good job explaining that.
Why do you keep assuming that anyone who disagrees with you must be stupid and/or uninformed?

I think everyone here is aware that electricity generation and lithium mining generate emissions.

The question is whether total emissions from an electric car are lower than total emissions from a gasoline car. Both are substantial.

The last time I ran the numbers, electrics came out ahead, even if I assumed 100% coal power plants.

Why do you keep assuming that anyone who disagrees with you must be stupid and/or uninformed?

I think everyone here is aware that electricity generation and lithium mining generate emissions.

The question is whether total emissions from an electric car are lower than total emissions from a gasoline car. Both are substantial.

The last time I ran the numbers, electrics came out ahead, even if I assumed 100% coal power plants.
Not sure who you think I was disagreeing with.

That said most people just go with the ads, pronouncements that these vehicles are zero emission.

They don't know where the power comes from.

Your math for your model failed to take into consideration the emissions required to produce the various parts. If you watched that video and or read other analysis about total actual emissions you will find that currently they are not clean as advertised.

That said most people just go with the ads, pronouncements that these vehicles are zero emission.

Your math for your model failed to take into consideration the emissions required to produce the various parts. If you watched that video and or read other analysis about total actual emissions you will find that currently they are not clean as advertised.
The argument that is made in the Ted Talk I posted is that the "carbon" to build the electric car is significantly higher than a gas vehicle and electric cars won't last long enough to offset that difference (if I'm recalling correctly). Whether you believe it or not its a fascinating watch.

The argument that is made in the Ted Talk I posted is that the "carbon" to build the electric car is significantly higher than a gas vehicle and electric cars won't last long enough to offset that difference (if I'm recalling correctly). Whether you believe it or not its a fascinating watch.
Many people who own electric cars could care less about the environment, they own them for the pure fun of it. Mabye not so much a nissan leaf for the fun factor. Selfishly, not having to stop for gas, changing brakes, fluid changes is convenient. As someone here pointed out earlier, they are not for everyone, especially if you don't reside in a home that can provide you daily/nightly charging. They mostly aren't affordable. But they are fun to drive and ranges have gotten better.

This TED talk?

Many people who own electric cars could care less about the environment, they own them for the pure fun of it. Mabye not so much a nissan leaf for the fun factor. Selfishly, not having to stop for gas, changing brakes, fluid changes is convenient. As someone here pointed out earlier, they are not for everyone, especially if you don't reside in a home that can provide you daily/nightly charging. They mostly aren't affordable. But they are fun to drive and ranges have gotten better.
I would go so far as to say that most people don't buy them for environmental reasons.

I would go so far as to say that most people don't buy them for environmental reasons.
Tesla cars are beautiful electric cars and I can say most of my liberal pals who own them feel good about themselves by going electric. They went all in woke so they don't go broke and they kiss so much you know it, it's disgusting and all over their nose. They also got all the jabs ((this is the Vaccine Thread so we should stay on topic, moo!)) + all the boosters and most still wear mask when they drive. I told one of my bff's that the kids that are forced into mining to make these cars is crazy insane and he plugs his ears and goes all, "la la la la, na na na na la la la la" super loud when I bring up the kids and how their being treated like little paid slaves and paid pennies an hour. Horrible and I would never buy one, like never!!! Edison wanted to "charge" us all and Nick Tesla wanted energy to be free for all of us. I can't wait until we go all in with the real stuff. Psychopath's love to control people and use people and then cheat on them, steal from them and then lie through projecting their cheating back to the one's they cheated on.

Stat News: Real math does not lie. 67% of the Covid deaths in San Diego the last 3 months are from those who have been fully jabbed or fully jabbed with all their booster jabs. The 33% who died had one jab or no jab.

Nope. I included it. A 25k car has considerably more production emissions than a 15k car. Roughly 5/3 as much.

The coal burner with a long tailpipe still emits less CO2. Eventually, the 20 pounds of CO2 per gallon just dominates.

To get the opposite result, you have to use an unreasonably short estimate for the lifespan of the car.

Back when I ran the numbers, WSJ published a comparison that assumed 50,000 miles. ICE car lifespan and ev battery life are both around 200,000 miles. So the WSJ piece was underestimating operating emissions by a factor of four.

I assume your video is playing that kind of game. And it's not worth 20 minutes of my time to find out exactly how they play it.

Sounds like they used the same cheat as the old WSJ piece: assume the electric dies before the break even point.

Sounds like they used the same cheat as the old WSJ piece: assume the electric dies before the break even point.
Your criticizing something you refuse to watch...weak. He actually makes a case for hybrids being the most environmental friendly. His overall conclusion is that at this point is that we need a mix of gas, electric and hybrid cars. That's why he is wearing a shirt that says "The future is eclectic".

Your criticizing something you refuse to watch...weak. He actually makes a case for hybrids being the most environmental friendly. His overall conclusion is that at this point is that we need a mix of gas, electric and hybrid cars. That's why he is wearing a shirt that says "The future is eclectic".

I like hybrids for a distance car. You get to use electricity for the grocery store runs, but still have long range for the ski trip.

But, if you don't have a place to charge them, I don't see how you make up for the added production cost. There is no need for a 15kwh battery if you never use it for more than regenerative braking.

Back