Turning Pro at 13

What are the realistic odds of being on that list? How long is the average career of a female soccer player? The median salary for an anesthesiologist in the US is $396,000. How long is the career of a physician? I think the academic path is the better, don't you?
If money is your child's goal in life, then a career in soccer is probably not the best route to go unless they can supplement it. Either way I am hoping the bulk of my kids wealth isn't generated by an employers salary. In this digital age the path to $$$ is no longer traditional.

Anyone else willing to take their daughter away from school and college to become a pro at 16 and make $20k a year?

If my kid has the potential/drive and I had money to back her, 100% all day.
If I didn't have the money but kid has potential/drive, then probably lean towards college but not for sure.

Every situation/answer is different for each kid/family.

Read the article put out by ESPN. Below are the last two paragraphs. Found them absurd. This is not about fairness between the sexes, but ones own self interests led by a parent. This parental pursuit has also denied OM some basic aspects of life as a child. And, yes she has stated her ambitions, but anyone who has followed and knows this player understands everything they have done is not the right way to do it for her best interests.

“Immergut found Moultrie's argument -- that the player's career would be damaged if not allowed to play -- more compelling.”

"Plaintiff has presented persuasive evidence that each day that passes with the Age Rule in place represents a missed opportunity for her potential professional soccer career. Accordingly, this Court finds that the merits clearly favor Plaintiff's position and that she will be irreparably harmed if this Court does not grant the TRO. Furthermore, the balance of equities and the public interest strongly favor affording girls in the United States the same opportunities as boys."

Last edited:
Read the article put out by ESPN. Below are the last two paragraphs. Found them absurd. This is not about fairness between the sexes, but ones own self interests led by a parent. This parental pursuit has also denied OM some basic aspects of life as a child. And, yes she has stated her ambitions, but anyone who has followed and knows this player understands everything they have done is not the right way to do it for her best interests.

“Immergut found Moultrie's argument -- that the player's career would be damaged if not allowed to play -- more compelling.”

"Plaintiff has presented persuasive evidence that each day that passes with the Age Rule in place represents a missed opportunity for her potential professional soccer career. Accordingly, this Court finds that the merits clearly favor Plaintiff's position and that she will be irreparably harmed if this Court does not grant the TRO. Furthermore, the balance of equities and the public interest strongly favor affording girls in the United States the same opportunities as boys."
Why do you find them absurd? I read the article below (linked) which gave quite a bit of information (I didn't have/know).

I do think there should be equitable treatment of boys/girls, so if the boys can then why not the girls? Girls mature (physically) earlier than boys, so if boys are making prof debuts at 16 or even 15 in leagues around the world, up to and including the elite leagues, why would a girl not be capable of the same?

The age restriction doesn't actually make sense from a playing or competitive perspective, which is basically what the judge is saying.

It may be moot if the players and league agree to insert it in the collective bargaining agreement, per the article.

Why do you find them absurd? I read the article below (linked) which gave quite a bit of information (I didn't have/know).

I do think there should be equitable treatment of boys/girls, so if the boys can then why not the girls? Girls mature (physically) earlier than boys, so if boys are making prof debuts at 16 or even 15 in leagues around the world, up to and including the elite leagues, why would a girl not be capable of the same?

The age restriction doesn't actually make sense from a playing or competitive perspective, which is basically what the judge is saying.

It may be moot if the players and league agree to insert it in the collective bargaining agreement, per the article.

My point is not about the equity. This case is not about this. It’s just being used as a means. Which I stated. Rather who is driving this and why. A parent.

My point is not about the equity. This case is not about this. It’s just being used as a means. Which I stated. Rather who is driving this and why. A parent.
OK, I don't have any insight into the Parent in this instance, so you may be 100% correct that this is being driven by the Dad, cited as the guardian.

That said, obviously, as a minor, the case has to be driven by an adult / parent / guardian.

Either way, the case does highlight an inequity that seems to exist for no particular reason.

I'm sure the players will be 100% on board with removing this restriction as part of their collective agreement in the name of equity and all that.

I don’t know how Nike is giving such a huge endorsement on a player that most have never heard of. Outside of a small circle of youth soccer fanatics, I doubt that her name has a strong following.
Instagram has her with 130k followers and we all know that IG followers are inflated. Mallory Pugh has over 500k followers as a comparison.

I don’t know how Nike is giving such a huge endorsement on a player that most have never heard of. Outside of a small circle of youth soccer fanatics, I doubt that her name has a strong following.
Instagram has her with 130k followers and we all know that IG followers are inflated. Mallory Pugh has over 500k followers as a comparison.
This is a few hundred thousand dollars. A small endorsement by Nike standards. She popped up when there was already a lot of conversation about the WNT and women’s soccer in general. Viewed like that it doesn’t seem like such a huge stretch, just a little experiment.

Maybe she is really good?

What are the realistic odds of being on that list? How long is the average career of a female soccer player? The median salary for an anesthesiologist in the US is $396,000. How long is the career of a physician? I think the academic path is the better, don't you?
If your only goal is money, sure. Some people value quality of life and enjoyment more than the almighty dollar though. So if one wants to pursue their passion, they should.

I respect the hustle of the Moultries. There were big announcements yesterday at practice for my kids team. Thanks team OM!

Unfortunately, I think OM is going to have a serious problem getting playing time. For example, look at how much time my kids friend has played since she was promoted to the first team: https://www.ligafemenil.mx/cancha/j...dWIiOiAxMTE4MH0=/maria-ximena-santeliz-arvizu

Hopefully OM’s victory will force NWSL to implement a youth division for aspiring professional and college players like she did in liga mx yesterday. Thanks again OM.

I

But isn’t WPSL only a 3 month summer league? In Liga Mx Femenil the U17’s will essentially be a junior varsity team...why shouldn’t NWSL do the same?

What do you think the college players are doing the rest of the year?

On edit: sorry, that's too much snark.

WPSL is fine. The overall pipeline isn't big enough for NWSL to need a year-long league 2 when you've got a thousand D1 kids ready to go.

I respect the hustle of the Moultries. There were big announcements yesterday at practice for my kids team. Thanks team OM!

Unfortunately, I think OM is going to have a serious problem getting playing time. For example, look at how much time my kids friend has played since she was promoted to the first team: https://www.ligafemenil.mx/cancha/j...dWIiOiAxMTE4MH0=/maria-ximena-santeliz-arvizu

Hopefully OM’s victory will force NWSL to implement a youth division for aspiring professional and college players like she did in liga mx yesterday. Thanks again OM.

I
How popular is the women's league in Mexico? I really have no idea so looking for some insight, as I have none in terms of the women's leagues in other countries. It's safe to say they don't get nearly the viewership the men do, but I'm curious. Investement is there, so there must be signs of life there.

How popular is the women's league in Mexico? I really have no idea so looking for some insight, as I have none in terms of the women's leagues in other countries. It's safe to say they don't get nearly the viewership the men do, but I'm curious. Investement is there, so there must be signs of life there.
It's getting there, from a strategy standpoint they're benefitting from being branches of the men's league. From facilities to the fanbase, they're really trying to keep it grounded and build something long term, something Mexico has struggled with in other areas such as the Olympic Teams / Program with their massive population. Now some teams are further along than others but the same can be said on the men's side.

The announcement that will be interesting to watch over the next few years will be the foreign player allotment per team. One of the biggest back and forth arguments in the men's league has been the same issue and how it affects the ability to develop players for the national teams in their own country.

It's getting there, from a strategy standpoint they're benefitting from being branches of the men's league. From facilities to the fanbase, they're really trying to keep it grounded and build something long term, something Mexico has struggled with in other areas such as the Olympic Teams / Program with their massive population. Now some teams are further along than others but the same can be said on the men's side.

The announcement that will be interesting to watch over the next few years will be the foreign player allotment per team. One of the biggest back and forth arguments in the men's league has been the same issue and how it affects the ability to develop players for the national teams in their own country.
I also think it’s going to be interesting to see how the teams on the US/Mexico border (Xolo’s, Rayados, Tigres, and Juarez) engage with the US market and NWSL teams in the near future.

[
I also think it’s going to be interesting to see how the teams on the US/Mexico border (Xolo’s, Rayados, Tigres, and Juarez) engage with the US market and NWSL teams in the near future.
If the US keeps limiting academy soccer market to the high income families, other countries will catch up in 5 years. Women’s soccer is growing quickly all over the world.

Back