Turning Pro at 13

She wants to play in the NWSL. Other girls her age around the world are getting to play at her age. Her parents are helping her. I'm sure they or their club requested permission to play and the NWSL didn't grant them permission. They appealed and again no such luck. Sueing seems a little over the top, but maybe they're friends with a lawyer and they are just doing what they need to do to get the rule changed. Isn't California the most litigious state in the USA?

Its already happening with the boys:

I didn't read the article and I never heard of the girl and am not comfortable discussing a minor on a public forum. But I never understood why the NWSL has a 18 yo minimum age. Not that my kid is good enough. It just is odd and I think it's holding really elite American players back.

Envy? Jealousy? It runs so deep in our country. "Good luck OM" is my take. What is an academic? Is that a cool tag line to have on one's resume in life? "I have two degrees and I'm smarter than you. No soccer or freedom allowed for girls. You must go to college to play soccer and be something in life." The pressure some of you put on kids is insane!!! Good day natives. I love you all :)

But I never understood why the NWSL has a 18 yo minimum age.

I have mixed feelings on the minimum age thing. I think most would agree that we need minimum age requirements for many things, after that it just comes down to deciding what is the right age. There should not be any disparity between males and females, but in many cases females are probably more likely to be physically and mentally able to take on adult responsibilities than males at a younger age. Having said all that, I personally would like to see the minimum age for the Olympics raised to at least 16 for all athletes and 16 seems about right for professional sports.

She wants to play in the NWSL. Other girls her age around the world are getting to play at her age. Her parents are helping her. I'm sure they or their club requested permission to play and the NWSL didn't grant them permission. They appealed and again no such luck. Sueing seems a little over the top, but maybe they're friends with a lawyer and they are just doing what they need to do to get the rule changed. Isn't California the most litigious state in the USA?

Its already happening with the boys:

I didn't read the article and I never heard of the girl and am not comfortable discussing a minor on a public forum. But I never understood why the NWSL has a 18 yo minimum age. Not that my kid is good enough. It just is odd and I think it's holding really elite American players back.
But do we know that this is what SHE wants? I think that is the point some are trying to make on here. I know next to nothing about this girl, other than a few clips on her play. Are her parents driving this for financial reasons, or does the girl want this?

This isn't about the girl. It's about the right to play pro at 16 (15 if parents are with you). This age is set by FIFA. She opening doors for those girls who aren't academic and want to chase their dreams because they can't afford to move to Europe to play.

It's ok to not be academic and not want to go to university. Nothing wrong with getting a trade.
Have no problem with her making her own choices about her path but quit hyping it up as it is such an amazing and better opportunity than getting a scholarship to college. They are glorifying this as if it is the most amazing opportunity rather than just a different choice. Both are good, neither one is the moral high road and there is a down side to going pro at an early age so just acknowledge that and quit making it sound like it is the holy grail. Haven't seen things turn out great yet for MP, or AS or even SS. Maybe it will end up so but hasn't happened yet. As has been said before, if it were the salaries of male pro sports then all for it. For $50,000 a year - not the holy grail.

and there is a down side to going pro at an early age so just acknowledge that and quit making it sound like it is the holy grail.

There is a downside to everything. It is the holy grail for elite players in Europe and Asia. Why would you train with players your own age that have an average soccer iq when you could train/play with professionals and really grow as a player? If a player is offered a pro contract at 16 or 18 it would be hard to turn it down. They can go to university at any age.

We're not talking about players that are playing for fun (e.g. an average college player) - we're talking about players that want to play at the highest level.

Do you really believe she decided to sue NWSL? She is 15 years old. She did not make this decision. Her parents and lawyers did. And, they are using her name to do so.
I'm sure nike has nothing to with this based on the amount of money they are paying her. I still thinks she wins the lawsuit and probably should.

Against the plaintiff (NWSL). They cannot enforce the 18 year min age for the next 14 days, presumably to give them time to change the rule, or some sort of injunction would follow.

Anyone else willing to take their daughter away from school and college to become a pro at 16 and make $20k a year?
First, you need to assume your child is destined to make 500K per year in WNT endorsements.

I don't think the parents are doing all this because they think she's got a chance to be a Thorns bench player.

(They're still nuts. But it's Brazil nuts, not peanuts.)

Anyone else willing to take their daughter away from school and college to become a pro at 16 and make $20k a year?
Whats her payout from the Thorns and Nike?

All that circulated is her Nike contract was worth north of $300k for 4 years. She making at least $75k a year from them plus what ever the Thorns are paying her. Min salary at $17k. Thats not including any other endorsement deals or when she makes the USWNT which at min is an extra $62k a year.

So for now shes bringing in at least $92k a year and receiving the best training possible at no cost.

Holy Cow !!! I thought NWSL pay more than this.

How Much Do NWSL Players Make — 2020 NWSL Compensation Guidelines
  • Salary Cap: Increased from $421,500 to $650,000
  • Maximum Salary: Increased from $46,200 to $50,000
  • Minimum Salary: Increased from $16,538 to $20,000

Holy Cow !!! I thought NWSL pay more than this.

How Much Do NWSL Players Make — 2020 NWSL Compensation Guidelines
  • Salary Cap: Increased from $421,500 to $650,000
  • Maximum Salary: Increased from $46,200 to $50,000
  • Minimum Salary: Increased from $16,538 to $20,000
What's the salary in Europe look like?

Info from sportmob.com.

The female footballers' salary in France is 4,000 euros per month, which is 48,000 euros per year, or USD 53,000, on average. In England, the situation is almost the same, and a top female footballer earns around £35,000 a year (USD 43,000).

What are the realistic odds of being on that list? How long is the average career of a female soccer player? The median salary for an anesthesiologist in the US is $396,000. How long is the career of a physician? I think the academic path is the better, don't you?

Back