Turning Pro at 13

So true. One higher up prick told me that they were in the process of building full time housing camps for girls. I'm like, "who the fuck would send their dd to some full-time soccer camp to.live with adult females?" He told me the men had DA and camps for boys, the girls will have their camps." Again, I said, "That's whack and lame and 99% of.parenrs would never send dd away."
It's not really that different than sending ones child to a boarding school that emphasizes sports (whether coed or not). Or a boarding school for girls only. For example-IMG Academy (Florida), or FCBEscola, or Chatham Hall.

If your life affords flexibility and your child wants it, why not provide it if it doesn't harm anyone? Every kid has a unique path. Why not give girls the same options boys have in the MLS? Then let the coaches and individuals/families decide if it's the right path and fit.

OM's parents have sacrificed a lot of time, energy and money into helping her achieve her goals. So long as they are letting her guide her own path, why not?

Professional level Gymnast and ice skaters go down this path too.

How many of us look back on our lives and say ...I regret going for it all? Most of our regrets come from stopping short of it and if we worked hard and failed, we're still darn proud we tried and didn't just find an excuse to stop. I cheer anyone on that has the courage and hardwork to pursue something different and new while opening up more doors for girls.

My children do not want to travel down this path for soccer, but if they did, I would support them as much as I could like OM's parents.
Well said. If its the kids drive and goals, and not just the parents, I don't have a problem with it (well, actually its none of my business). There does appear to be some inequities between sports and genders, but some of that may be contact related.

I understand that these scenarios don't work at well for some, but it has for others. I wish her the best of luck and hope she does everything on her own terms.

Good luck to the young lady, but I find it difficult to believe she'd make any sort of impact as a high school freshman going against grown women that have gone thru 4 years of college and are trying to earn a living.

It's not really that different than sending ones child to a boarding school that emphasizes sports (whether coed or not). Or a boarding school for girls only. For example-IMG Academy (Florida), or FCBEscola, or Chatham Hall.
No judgement from me bro. I can;t imagine sending my dd to some boarding school or soccer house at 12 or 13. This is crazy ass shit. I told you years ago that some ((not all!!!!)) Docs were whacked bro. I'm sorry for beating a dead horse but man, the shit I heard from some were insane. I know they do this in Europe but not in my house. I swear if I could have taped the convo I had with this Doc you would be concerned. Peace to all of you.

[

I can agree with you in theory. However, this situation does not fit this scenario as simply as you have stated. Previous posts have eluded to the truth of the matter.
If her parents are the ones dreaming it and Olivia would prefer to stay local and play with her peers to establish friendships, I hope her parents snap out of it soon.

If her parents are the ones dreaming it and Olivia would prefer to stay local and play with her peers to establish friendships, I hope her parents snap out of it soon.
Emma, read the article. OM is quoted as saying it's her dream, not dads dream. Parents have their own dreams as well and sometimes dreams co-mingle. Let the dreamers dream and let's see what happens. Remember, good always winds out at the end :) It's good to see you posting again Emma :)

BTW, I'm sorry for some of the F bombs today. Sometimes I let it out. I did keep that fucking word in my head from 1988 til July 2019. That is a long time holding something in. I like to use it only to make a strong point and that's it.

I love it :) Let her go pro whenever she wants is my take. Same for basketball players. I'm still SMFH why any stud ball player can't sign at 16. This BS that they have to wait until 18 and also go to college for one year. Oh Please, #lethemgopro. Who needs college when pro is right around the corner? My dd was able to battle the great OM for two years at practice every week and let me tell you Soccer Fan 4 Life, this player loves to play soccer and is very happy when she plays and my dd says she is one of kind and is all in soccer 24/7. It's called freedom of choice. The free choice to be whatever the hell you want to be in life. My dd was approached to go pro as well back when she was 12. Of course I was blushing with dad pride and ego. I heard about dads sending kids to far away places to be a pro in soccer player for the boys ((my dd former All American coach left home at 15 to play in Holland with the flying Dutchman)). However, this new proposal for girls seemed whack if I were to be honest. I thought about her going pro for a few seconds and then it was a big fat, "hell no." I came on here with satire three years ago and so many damn fools thought I was serious about sending my daughter away at 13 to be trained by the "Pros." Ahhhhh, no thank you :)
YOU?!!! Shocker!!!

I don't think it's as always as simple as this. Many kids don't feel like they can speak up about their own desires, or they feel an immense desire/responsibility to please their parents. That definitely could be in play here. There are plenty of stories of people in professions that took many years of school that felt completely forced into by their parents. I also don't think kids really grasp the sacrifices they are making or what's really involved and it shouldn't just be "what the kid wants". It needs to be a carefully thought through "family" decision. These kind of sacrifices also impact siblings. That said I also think that supporting your child's dream is valid. It's just not as black and white if it's the kid's dream then it's okay. Kids can be heavily influenced into what their dream should be or what "success" looks like and parents are often not even conscious they are doing it.

Can't judge OM's situation because I have never watched her play. However, the rest of the world are allowing their young players to play pro and get paid at at least 16. College soccer IN GENERAL is a waste of time if you want to go pro. The season is short and you're required to play 2 games a week which takes a toll on the body and means that practice can't be too intense because you are either recovering from a game or going into a game. And a player can't grow as much in college as they could playing with experienced, older pros. And the coaches aren't necessarily the best fit for an elite player.

That being said the NWSL is known for being a solid comp where every team is very good - unlike the European Leagues where only the top 2 or 3 are very good. This would mean to me that it would be very hard to get on the pitch as a 15 yo in the NWSL as opposed to a team at the bottom of the German League.

Anyways bravo OM for paving the way for other USWNT hopefuls and helping the US keep up with the rest of the world.

What a bunch of negative, mean, jealous people on this thread. What do you care what she is doing? You're kid got their little scholarship. Why are you pulling others down that are choosing a different path?

My only take on this has to do with the disparity between men and women in sports. Our family has always operated on the assumption that, while in high school, no matter what accolades our daughter gets, the goal for her is to get to college. Soccer is great, but as a profession, women don’t make what the men are making out there. And if she retires, quits or injures herself, as a woman, there isn’t a solid fall back plan without a college degree. She needs to be able to take care of herself for the rest of her life. She will readily admit she more athlete than student, but she also understands that the academics is where it is to set her up long term.
Every family has to do what’s right for themselves and their kid. For us, it was making sure that she has short and long term aspirations, both on and off the field.

Can't judge OM's situation because I have never watched her play. However, the rest of the world are allowing their young players to play pro and get paid at at least 16. College soccer IN GENERAL is a waste of time if you want to go pro. The season is short and you're required to play 2 games a week which takes a toll on the body and means that practice can't be too intense because you are either recovering from a game or going into a game. And a player can't grow as much in college as they could playing with experienced, older pros. And the coaches aren't necessarily the best fit for an elite player.

That being said the NWSL is known for being a solid comp where every team is very good - unlike the European Leagues where only the top 2 or 3 are very good. This would mean to me that it would be very hard to get on the pitch as a 15 yo in the NWSL as opposed to a team at the bottom of the German League.

Anyways bravo OM for paving the way for other USWNT hopefuls and helping the US keep up with the rest of the world.

What a bunch of negative, mean, jealous people on this thread. What do you care what she is doing? You're kid got their little scholarship. Why are you pulling others down that are choosing a different path?
I tend to agree with you. She seems genuinely in love with soccer and she’s going after her goals full on. Her parents don’t seem unreasonable to me. It’s not the path I would choose for my child for many of the reasons others have stated, and I don’t really get the rush, but who am I to judge what they choose or second guess their motivations. She rightly has brought attention the the fact that many others in this sport and other sports can compete professionally at her age.
I’m not sure the all criticisms are jealousy or meanness. Some people just see the risks as too great. But, we don’t all have to walk the same path and there’s more than one way to experience the world thank goodness.

It's not the path (and hers is not a new one or she is paving the way). It's how the path has been set for her. From your first sentence it appears you do not know much about her other than what has been posted. There is much more to this that a few of us on here know, have seen, and understand.

Respect your right to an opinion but to diminish the importance of a college education or belittle a “little” scholarship is dangerous. And even more so on the girls side.

Throughout Europe where there is no educational “safety net” if you fall short at any level in the climb
to pro, you’re unceremoniously jettisoned from the team and dream... to do what??

If my daughter got the attention and opportunities that Ms Moultrie has had put before her, I too would encourage my kid to go for it. But she hasn’t been given those invitations. And I’m willing to bet very very few of your kids have either - Ms Moultrie’s situation is so rare (Heck, it’s actually one of a kind).

Tough to even think of squashing my daughter’s dreams and I won’t. But here on this forum, I take the position of a sensible parent.

The kid clearly is good and loves soccer. The parents knew what they were getting into so why now bring up a lawsuit. The smarter play would be let her grow up and continue to love the sport with competitive soccer locally before getting her stuck in a lose lose situation. It’s not jealousy but more of the lack of missteps from the parents. Fame and glory looks amazing until it’s not.

e. Soccer is great, but as a profession, women don’t make what the men are making out there. And if she retires, quits or injures herself, as a woman, there isn’t a solid fall back plan without a college degree.

Why can't she play pro AND get a college degree? With universities online these days it's even more possible. Teams don't train all day.

Respect your right to an opinion but to diminish the importance of a college education or belittle a “little” scholarship is dangerous. And even more so on the girls side.

Throughout Europe where there is no educational “safety net” if you fall short at any level in the climb
to pro, you’re unceremoniously jettisoned from the team and dream... to do what??

If my daughter got the attention and opportunities that Ms Moultrie has had put before her, I too would encourage my kid to go for it. But she hasn’t been given those invitations. And I’m willing to bet very very few of your kids have either - Ms Moultrie’s situation is so rare (Heck, it’s actually one of a kind).

Tough to even think of squashing my daughter’s dreams and I won’t. But here on this forum, I take the position of a sensible parent.

In Europe a lot of pro players are getting university degrees while they are getting paid to play. And in most countries the cost of university is low or in some cases free. Of course they have a safety net - it's called family and the government.

This isn't about the girl. It's about the right to play pro at 16 (15 if parents are with you). This age is set by FIFA. She opening doors for those girls who aren't academic and want to chase their dreams because they can't afford to move to Europe to play.

It's ok to not be academic and not want to go to university. Nothing wrong with getting a trade.

This isn't about the girl. It's about the right to play pro at 16 (15 if parents are with you). This age is set by FIFA. She opening doors for those girls who aren't academic and want to chase their dreams because they can't afford to move to Europe to play.

It's ok to not be academic and not want to go to university. Nothing wrong with getting a trade.
Do you really believe she decided to sue NWSL? She is 15 years old. She did not make this decision. Her parents and lawyers did. And, they are using her name to do so.

Back