Surf Players Being Discouraged from playing HS?

“You lovin’ me now Jerry”….standing by “awful” in my Description of HSS quality and referees. These referees never played the game. They have no clue.
I stand corrected Lou and sorry for harsh judgement on the word "awful." I judge myself the hardest byw. I did think the FV crew today did the best job of the games this year. Head ref was in charge and pulled two yellows. No need for a red and the girls played under control for the most part. I felt better with HSS today. I think if head refs tell the ladies to knock it off and no rugby, the game can be saved,

Record the games, send video of bad refs to the assignors via the coach or team manager.
It won't matter. Last year my dd got pushed from behind after a juke and broke a bone after she fell in a gopher hole. The girls got kicked off the football field because they were girls and we had to play our game at Gopher Field. My kid emailed their AD on her own on the way to ER and guess what the adults said? Take a guess bro. My dd sent this to me last night. To walk in the light and not be a hypocrite, my dd fouled a few players as well, but not at the shins ((that I'm aware of)). HSS is super physical and can prepare your player for college ball. I went to a few local games you guys and let me to you, I saw some black, blue, purple and red from my pal's dd after her Big West matchup. College ball is not for the faint of heart and I do believe in one sense, that HSS can prepare your dd for the next level.

665381135.jpg

Last edited:
I stand corrected Lou and sorry for harsh judgement on the word "awful." I judge myself the hardest byw. I did think the FV crew today did the best job of the games this year. Head ref was in charge and pulled two yellows. No need for a red and the girls played under control for the most part. I felt better with HSS today. I think if head refs tell the ladies to knock it off and no rugby, the game can be saved,
It’s almost like GDA was onto something with their no high school rule……

It’s almost like GDA was onto something with their no high school rule……
No, I disagree. The mandate that "no girls can play hss" was stupid and one of the reasons that league failed, but not the main one. The GDA didn;t stick to their mandates or their word, just like all the actors we are seeing today. Rules for thee but not for my dd because I run things around here and I get what I want for my kids. The rub on me is that the GDA made a last minute waiver change after my kid and other kids made the tough decision to walk away from glory and play dangerous HSS. They did this for the rich parents who have kids at the private schools that would like their cake and ice cream and also waivers for those who got full rides to go to the private HS, because those girls really wanted to play hs soccer at their hs school, just like my dd and your dds. The GDA should have given the girls a both and, not an either or decision. If the GDA stuck to their mandates and forced all the girls to only play in their league, well then, I say nothing except the same thing, you will fail. Plus all the pay to play politics and kick backs ruined them forever. Like I said Kicker, if the adults would come together instead forcing either or decisions on girls, then we can have bliss!!!

No, I disagree. The mandate that "no girls can play hss" was stupid and one of the reasons that league failed, but not the main one. The GDA didn;t stick to their mandates or their word, just like all the actors we are seeing today. Rules for thee but not for my dd because I run things around here and I get what I want for my kids. The rub on me is that the GDA made a last minute waiver change after my kid and other kids made the tough decision to walk away from glory and play dangerous HSS. They did this for the rich parents who have kids at the private schools that would like their cake and ice cream and also waivers for those who got full rides to go to the private HS, because those girls really wanted to play hs soccer at their hs school, just like my dd and your dds. The GDA should have given the girls a both and, not an either or decision. If the GDA stuck to their mandates and forced all the girls to only play in their league, well then, I say nothing except the same thing, you will fail. Plus all the pay to play politics and kick backs ruined them forever. Like I said Kicker, if the adults would come together instead forcing either or decisions on girls, then we can have bliss!!!
Factually inaccurate but ok….

Factually inaccurate but ok….
I know you to be the forum fact checker and nothing I say on here hit you like others I know. I will be leaving tomorrow for good. I know I keep saying it but I truly this time. Tomorrow is signing day 2/2/22. Peace out Kicker and keep up the fact checking for youth soccer.

Yeah, no concussions or ACL tears on club teams.

Certainly no club ever carries 20-24 kids on the roster because they know they'll have 4-8 kids injured over the season.

It's a problem across the board. And higher levels have more injuries, not less. You can't escape it by paying more money.

This is the perfect stupid soccer parent post. Instead of accepting the particular risks associated with HS vs. elite club soccer, people like you and crushypoo lump everything into "it's all the same, so I'm going to complain about how all kiddie soccer is unfair instead of accepting reality and taking responsibility myself for mitigating those risks". It's hysterical that people like you and crushypoo refuse to accept reality and instead whine about how HS and club soccer aren't the rainbow paradise you want them to be. You spend your time miserable and squander it videotaping refs instead of taking appropriate steps to mitigate known risks and otherwise enjoying something that is going to be over before you know it.

It's a fact that there are injury risks peculiar to HS. They include dangerous play and increased ACL or other repetitive use injury if a coach is riding your kid hard to win stupid HS soccer games. Instead of whining about how HS needs to change - which is impossible - you should be taking obvious action to reduce risk. If your kid's HS league is unacceptably and unavoidably dangerous, she shouldn't play. If it isn't that bad, you still know there are certain players on other teams who will be dangerous and you should make sure your kid and coach take appropriate steps to address it in advance, especially since you already know who it's going to be. They're the kids who aren't good enough to play high level soccer, but are good enough athletes to care and also cause harm. They have the dad who scours MaxPreps to see who scores goals and tells their kid she needs to stop tour kid at all costs. Honestly, if your kid is a unicorn you should never, ever list stats on MaxPreps no matter how much your self-esteem depends on your daughter's soccer prowess being displayed prominently on the Internet. Also, instead of you and the coach screaming bloody murder during games about something you knew with 99% certainty would happen even before the game started, which only makes things worse, you should have asked your kid's HS coach to have a polite and non-confrontational conversation with the refs before the game to hopefully avoid the issue in advance. And if that didn't work, the coach should have pulled your kid from the game if she was being targeted, because no HS soccer game is worth getting hurt. If dangerous play happened in the first half, the coach should pull the kid until halftime and then have a polite conversation with the ref at the half about it, and then maybe tried again in the second half and pulled her again if it wasn't better. Also, your kid's HS coach should never play your unicorn kid tons of minutes. Get them in and out against crap teams, and give them breaks against even the good ones even if it means they will probably lose; HS games are not important compared to your kid's health. These all should have been ground rules you as a parent set before the season started and, if the shitty HS coach wasn't accepting, you knew what to do. It all boils down to you taking responsibility for an imperfect situation instead of acting surprised and offended when, gasp, it turns out to be imperfect.

As for you and crushypoo whining about elite clubs carrying 20-24 kids, that's just more poor parenting from your end and refusal to understand the obvious risks that are most peculiar to elite club soccer. The earlier posts about carrying 16 kids are an absolute joke. No girls should be regularly playing 90 minute games, and you should be talking to your coach if that is happening to yours. You know club will require playing games on consecutive days. You know that girls are always going to be hurt. If you have a team with 16 kids, at least two will usually be out, which means too many kids being playing too many minutes in too little time out of necessity. But none of you give a shit about any of that, because your mindset it that winning as many kiddie soccer games as possible is important, so you absolve yourself of your duty as a parent to protect your kid and just blame other people when you got exactly what you wanted right up until it caused your kid to get hurt. Honestly, it is nuts that you're whining about both large rosters and increased ACL injury risk in club in the same post, given that larger rosters significantly reduce that risk. It is nuts that someone like crushypoo thinks that winning kiddie "national championships" (which are fake bs btw) is a priority, when everything about chasing that stupid dream requires taking unnecessary injury risks for your kid. And for what? The self-esteem boost one gets as a parent because a 13 year old won a soccer game?

Poor children in America should all have access to the best possible soccer training for free! Forget affordable healthcare. Forget affordable education. Forget affordable housing. Kiddie soccer is the thing that needs to be subsidized. Not kiddie equestrian, or kiddie basketball, or kiddie robotics, or kiddie music and theater. Soccer is the one thing that needs to be free of charge. I mean, women's soccer provides a comfortable living for like 10 women in the world. I can't imagine a better use of money and resources to benefit the girls of America.

I know you to be the forum fact checker and nothing I say on here hit you like others I know. I will be leaving tomorrow for good. I know I keep saying it but I truly this time. Tomorrow is signing day 2/2/22. Peace out Kicker and keep up the fact checking for youth soccer.
Then I’ll take the time now to congratulate your DD on going to play overseas. I’m sure it was/is a huge sacrifice for the family but one that will pay off.

This is the perfect stupid soccer parent post. Instead of accepting the particular risks associated with HS vs. elite club soccer, people like you and crushypoo lump everything into "it's all the same, so I'm going to complain about how all kiddie soccer is unfair instead of accepting reality and taking responsibility myself for mitigating those risks". It's hysterical that people like you and crushypoo refuse to accept reality and instead whine about how HS and club soccer aren't the rainbow paradise you want them to be. You spend your time miserable and squander it videotaping refs instead of taking appropriate steps to mitigate known risks and otherwise enjoying something that is going to be over before you know it.

It's a fact that there are injury risks peculiar to HS. They include dangerous play and increased ACL or other repetitive use injury if a coach is riding your kid hard to win stupid HS soccer games. Instead of whining about how HS needs to change - which is impossible - you should be taking obvious action to reduce risk. If your kid's HS league is unacceptably and unavoidably dangerous, she shouldn't play. If it isn't that bad, you still know there are certain players on other teams who will be dangerous and you should make sure your kid and coach take appropriate steps to address it in advance, especially since you already know who it's going to be. They're the kids who aren't good enough to play high level soccer, but are good enough athletes to care and also cause harm. They have the dad who scours MaxPreps to see who scores goals and tells their kid she needs to stop tour kid at all costs. Honestly, if your kid is a unicorn you should never, ever list stats on MaxPreps no matter how much your self-esteem depends on your daughter's soccer prowess being displayed prominently on the Internet. Also, instead of you and the coach screaming bloody murder during games about something you knew with 99% certainty would happen even before the game started, which only makes things worse, you should have asked your kid's HS coach to have a polite and non-confrontational conversation with the refs before the game to hopefully avoid the issue in advance. And if that didn't work, the coach should have pulled your kid from the game if she was being targeted, because no HS soccer game is worth getting hurt. If dangerous play happened in the first half, the coach should pull the kid until halftime and then have a polite conversation with the ref at the half about it, and then maybe tried again in the second half and pulled her again if it wasn't better. Also, your kid's HS coach should never play your unicorn kid tons of minutes. Get them in and out against crap teams, and give them breaks against even the good ones even if it means they will probably lose; HS games are not important compared to your kid's health. These all should have been ground rules you as a parent set before the season started and, if the shitty HS coach wasn't accepting, you knew what to do. It all boils down to you taking responsibility for an imperfect situation instead of acting surprised and offended when, gasp, it turns out to be imperfect.

As for you and crushypoo whining about elite clubs carrying 20-24 kids, that's just more poor parenting from your end and refusal to understand the obvious risks that are most peculiar to elite club soccer. The earlier posts about carrying 16 kids are an absolute joke. No girls should be regularly playing 90 minute games, and you should be talking to your coach if that is happening to yours. You know club will require playing games on consecutive days. You know that girls are always going to be hurt. If you have a team with 16 kids, at least two will usually be out, which means too many kids being playing too many minutes in too little time out of necessity. But none of you give a shit about any of that, because your mindset it that winning as many kiddie soccer games as possible is important, so you absolve yourself of your duty as a parent to protect your kid and just blame other people when you got exactly what you wanted right up until it caused your kid to get hurt. Honestly, it is nuts that you're whining about both large rosters and increased ACL injury risk in club in the same post, given that larger rosters significantly reduce that risk. It is nuts that someone like crushypoo thinks that winning kiddie "national championships" (which are fake bs btw) is a priority, when everything about chasing that stupid dream requires taking unnecessary injury risks for your kid. And for what? The self-esteem boost one gets as a parent because a 13 year old won a soccer game?
Lead with the insult again? It’s an old trick. Accuse the other person of being stupid; maybe he’ll believe you and become so full of self doubt that he concedes.

In this case, the length of your word spam says it all. You don’t have an argument. If you did, you’d express it clearly and succinctly.

Instead, you ramble forever to hide the weakness of your claims. You started off by claiming that club soccer has fewer injuries. Then you went on to say that high school coaches ride their players hard trying to win games, implying that club coaches do not.

Not buying it, even if you come up with a derogatory nickname for me. You want to claim that pay to play soccer has a low injury rate? Great. Name the club, and list the last 5 years of hospital visits.

Poor children in America should all have access to the best possible soccer training for free! Forget affordable healthcare. Forget affordable education. Forget affordable housing. Kiddie soccer is the thing that needs to be subsidized. Not kiddie equestrian, or kiddie basketball, or kiddie robotics, or kiddie music and theater. Soccer is the one thing that needs to be free of charge. I mean, women's soccer provides a comfortable living for like 10 women in the world. I can't imagine a better use of money and resources to benefit the girls of America.

When I was on the board of our little local club, our scholarship policy had two elements -- rec soccer was free for anyone who wanted it, no questions asked (normally around $100), and scholarships for the competitive program were available upon application and review of a committee subject to the funds available (mostly proceeds from our tournaments). In addition to that I know of instances where coaches paid the fees themselves for players they wanted to keep, and more than one instance where parents of other players on the team paid the fees for their kids' friends whose parents were otherwise in no position to pay the club fees and travel expenses. I gave some of those kids rides to distant events and bought them meals as I would have for any of my kids' friends.

Lead with the insult again? It’s an old trick. Accuse the other person of being stupid; maybe he’ll believe you and become so full of self doubt that he concedes.

In this case, the length of your word spam says it all. You don’t have an argument. If you did, you’d express it clearly and succinctly.

Instead, you ramble forever to hide the weakness of your claims. You started off by claiming that club soccer has fewer injuries. Then you went on to say that high school coaches ride their players hard trying to win games, implying that club coaches do not.

Not buying it, even if you come up with a derogatory nickname for me. You want to claim that pay to play soccer has a low injury rate? Great. Name the club, and list the last 5 years of hospital visits.

Let me summarize for you. Take responsibility for your child's welfare instead of blaming everyone else for your failure to do so.

Sure.

Let me summarize for you. Take responsibility for your child's welfare instead of blaming everyone else for your failure to do so.
Uh, that’s not a summary. It’s a full retreat from your original position, coupled with a gratuitous personal attack.

Your original position was that club soccer is safe but high school soccer is dangerous. Now you’re suggesting that club soccer is the kind of thing I need to protect my kid from. I agree with the second statement, but not the first.

Then I’ll take the time now to congratulate your DD on going to play overseas. I’m sure it was/is a huge sacrifice for the family but one that will pay off.
Thanks man. She did it all on her own bro. No sacrifice from us at all as family and I say that as a compliment to the person my dd has become. She had this all planned and made it happen. She is paving her way and I just help with the clean up. Saved up her money from a job she has and it looks like a few sponsors will help as well to cover the rest of the trip. No full rides for this Gap Year. I'm proud of her 100%. It's more for education and seeing the world then for soccer. Soccer is vehicle to go see the world and see how the great game is played. I really see her bringing girls soccer to Iran some day. I know, I know, far fetched, right? You have no idea Kicker but someday even you will become a believer.

Golden Gate seems to be speaking some harsh truths in a blunt manner.
I agree. I used harsh words with my truths from the past and my tones with the truth were blunt as well. I think we should all look to speak the truth with compassion and not with blunt force with harshness. Top it off with with kindness ((showing empathy). It) would be amazing for the next group of dads. I blew it with my harshness for sure on here. GG lays it out from a Docs point of view and that's how coach does it. We all need Mercy Mulligans. Parents, coaches and the docs. Kids are super innocent and need guidance.

I agree. I used harsh words with my truths from the past and my tones with the truth were blunt as well. I think we should all look to speak the truth with compassion and not with blunt force with harshness. Top it off with with kindness ((showing empathy). It) would be amazing for the next group of dads. I blew it with my harshness for sure on here. GG lays it out from a Docs point of view and that's how coach does it. We all need Mercy Mulligans. Parents, coaches and the docs. Kids are super innocent and need guidance.
Just a friendly reminder that your dissociative personality disorder kicked in again. Told you years ago I would remind you to take your medication and stick to one of your identities.

Just a friendly reminder that your dissociative personality disorder kicked in again. Told you years ago I would remind you to take your medication and stick to one of your identities.
I took it but this is real me. I have many virtues I'm trying to live by. I fall and pick myself up and say sorry when needed. I share deep from my emotions of pain and that was wrong. I should have handled things differently and in a more respectful way. It's all about today and how things will get better. Good to see you back on the forum. Missed your comments. I want peace and fairness for all mankind, including you. The last few years have been insane. I am different then you and that's ok. Peace to you and your family :)

Before the start of HS soccer the DOC at Surf told several teams (the ones he was the head coach of) that if players played HS soccer he would not assist them with college recruiting and it showed a lack of commitment to the club/program. Some parents were shocked by this, and discussed this with the club at which time the DOC denied that he had said. Unfortunately, he was in a room full of people when he said to not play HS soccer. The club elected to believe him and there were no repercussions for the DOC.

I understand from another parent that as a follow up, any girls that choose to play HS were not allowed to travel to Texas with the 05 ECNL team in the last week or two as punishment for playing HS. The '05 team had to use 06s & 07s to field a team.

Believe me, don't believe me, I don't care. My daughter played at Surf and was in the room when this was communicated. If you want to know about him maybe you can ask some parents, kids and coaches that have left since he got there. As for results, look at the '05 Surf ECNL-R team before he showed up (consistently played at a high level and won Man City last year beating 2 ECNL teams along the way) and now (middle of the road ECNLR team at best). Massive turnover with the team and a coaching change in the middle of the season. Buyer beware.

Back