Surf Players Being Discouraged from playing HS?

Generally when coaches get in +5 type situations they tell their players to pass X number of times before shooting or they pull 1 or 2 players from the field to try and keep the game competitive.

In a scrimmage, my kid's team was pulling ahead by 7+ goals... and the coach instructed to the team they can only score with their off foot... and toning down the goal celebrations with each additional goal... I was okay with that. No point in demoralizing the other kids in a scrimmage. In a tournament where goal differentials come into play, I can see keep going...

But not sure how the other team felt when they heard that cause he just yelled that instruction onto the field and everyone heard that :D

In a scrimmage, my kid's team was pulling ahead by 7+ goals... and the coach instructed to the team they can only score with their off foot... and toning down the goal celebrations with each additional goal... I was okay with that. No point in demoralizing the other kids in a scrimmage. In a tournament where goal differentials come into play, I can see keep going...

But not sure how the other team felt when they heard that cause he just yelled that instruction onto the field and everyone heard that :D
The idea is the same...

Neither team benefits from running up the score. The kids getting beat up on are demoralized. The ones delivering the beating are given a false sense of being better than they are. The coach getting beat will have upset parents + the coach that won will have happy parents.

The problem is neither team is learning anything. Generally 20-0 type scores (in the youngers especially) occur because 1 or 2 players on the winning team are physically bigger, faster, etc than the other team. Other coaches will notice the 20-0 score and start recruiting the top players. The better option is the have the really good team pass X number of times before making a goal. This helps both teams by giving the better team more experience at passing during a game. It also helps the not as good team because they get to work on defensive skills without having goals smashed in every 2 minutes.

At the higher levels players that could score at will become less and less affective as defenders improve.

This is the whole Possession vs Direct play argument. Both can work at different times. However at the highest levels Possession tends to be the way to bring in more wins.

How about one of their u-little teams deciding to win a game 25-0 in so cal league this year

can’t confirm because no scores posted , but did hear that one a couple weeks back

25-0......whoa that is super awkward for all involved.....coach needed to do something to at least keep it below 20 like a pass limit, headers only or even if it meant ending the game early and I would be a bit embarrassed to be a parent on the winning team there......I think it can be hard to keep scores down when one team is much better than the other but 25 is really rough especially for u-littles and I'd be sad if it were my kid out there..... for older teams losing or winning double digits is what it is.....

25-0......whoa that is super awkward for all involved.....coach needed to do something to at least keep it below 20 like a pass limit, headers only or even if it meant ending the game early and I would be a bit embarrassed to be a parent on the winning team there......I think it can be hard to keep scores down when one team is much better than the other but 25 is really rough especially for u-littles and I'd be sad if it were my kid out there..... for older teams losing or winning double digits is what it is.....

ive Heard one angle of the story, I do know there was some extracurriculars going on between the coaches , but barring the other coach sleeping with his significant other I can’t see any excuse of going beyond double digits at the ulittle level

We're not at Surf but my this was the first year my daughter played Varsity and she comes home after every game with swollen ankles, bruises on her feet and back of ankle. The girls afren't doing it on purpose they are just not very skilled. The problem is her club doesn't really offer a non highschool option. Any advice on what she can do if not playaing HS next year? I know she can train but going months without playng games doesn't sound fun or smart.

We're not at Surf but my this was the first year my daughter played Varsity and she comes home after every game with swollen ankles, bruises on her feet and back of ankle. The girls afren't doing it on purpose they are just not very skilled. The problem is her club doesn't really offer a non highschool option. Any advice on what she can do if not playaing HS next year? I know she can train but going months without playng games doesn't sound fun or smart.
Welcome to Girls HSS bro. Rugby soccer is what I call it and some bumper car as well. I have watched four years and I have no fingernails left or a voice box. I blame CIF, the Refs and the clubs with Docs that hate HSS instead of trying to fix it. I blame it on the rain too....lol!. In all seriousness, if dad, club, CIF, HSS AD, HSS coach, AYSO, Community leaders, Doc, Club coach, College & US Soccer would all come together ((with a few players & parents who have experience as well)), they could make HSS amazing and local and something fun for all the girls. I will write to CIF after the season is over to give them MOO!!!. We lost 5 starters to injuries already and they put little LB in D1 this year. Serious, who makes that call? I will find out for sure. We are all curious. Refs have been way below average this year. In fact, one head ref walked the whole game and told my dd to calm down and warned her for being chirpy with him. One player got a concussion, another player from other team got a bloody nose. This was in first 10 minutes. She is captain and is allowed to voice her concerns for the safety of the girls and so do the parents. Girls dont mess around and if ref does not call dangerous fouls early, then black and blue will be the colors our daughters will have when they get home. It's insane and needs to stop or else. I do NOT recommend any top top player like RT, OM, MP or AT or any future YNT players to play HSS until this gets regulated and refs pull red cards before yellow cards to send a clear message with girls who thought they sign up for Austrian Style Soccer Rugby. This is a sport we created. Imagine how awesome local HSS could be if we all come together to help the girls have a break and some fun :)

For The Love Of Soccer, why are girls allowed to play through a play and knock player on her back after they get juked? That is what scares me every time in HSS. The ref thinks it's ok to shove, pull hair, kick shins whenever they want ((one ref says that why they have shin guards)), shove player to the ground after a swing and mess and knock player into the sidelines. I begged my dd to skip this year because we got moved up to D1 and I didnt want her to get seriously injured. 900 students going up against Los Al? I love choice and give it to my dd all the time. I saw how dangerous girls soccer is when she was a Freshman and are #1 player, the great RT had to stop because it was almost criminal the hacking they did. My dd kind of likes to battle the other girls at the schools and that's fun for her in one sense but not for me. I scared when she plays, I wont lie :( I dont like the word "awful." I prefer dangerous but I am open to calling it awful if no one steps up and fixes this danger. Look, I defended HSS before I knew what it was all about so please give me a Mulligan. Today, I have four years of watching Girls Varsity Soccer and it needs fixing.....

Last edited:
For The Love Of Soccer, why are girls allowed to play through a play and knock player on her back after they get juked? That is what scares me every time in HSS. The ref thinks it's ok to shove, pull hair, kick shins whenever they want ((one ref says that why they have shin guards)), shove player to the ground after a swing and mess and knock player into the sidelines. I begged my dd to skip this year because we got moved up to D1 and I didnt want her to get seriously injured. 900 students going up against Los Al? I love choice and give it to my dd all the time. I saw how dangerous girls soccer is when she was a Freshman and are #1 player, the great RT had to stop because it was almost criminal the hacking they did. My dd kind of likes to battle the other girls at the schools and that's fun for her in one sense but not for me. I scared when she plays, I wont lie :( I dont like the word "awful." I prefer dangerous but I am open to calling it awful if no one steps up and fixes this danger. Look, I defended HSS before I knew what it was all about so please give me a Mulligan. Today, I have four years of watching Girls Varsity Soccer and it needs fixing.....
Record the games, send video of bad refs to the assignors via the coach or team manager.

Record the games, send video of bad refs to the assignors via the coach or team manager.
I wish I had done that this season. The play has been so aggressive with obvious intent to hurt and the referees have been non-directly encouraging it with their lack of game control. I don't usually pick on refs as I'm one myself but this season seems to have gotten to a low I've never witnessed before. At this rate (girls going on out crutches, having to get x-rays, being carted off in an ambulance, etc.), I doubt of the higher level players will be coming back next year. It's a shame.

I wish I had done that this season. The play has been so aggressive with obvious intent to hurt and the referees have been non-directly encouraging it with their lack of game control. I don't usually pick on refs as I'm one myself but this season seems to have gotten to a low I've never witnessed before. At this rate (girls going on out crutches, having to get x-rays, being carted off in an ambulance, etc.), I doubt of the higher level players will be coming back next year. It's a shame.
100% agree. My dd likes the smack talk but not the elbows, kicks to shin, pushes in the back to name a few. She comes home bloody, blue and black. Bruises all over her. I have the videos. Abusive sport and refs make no calls. Dear Universe, please protect the players and help refs give yellow and then Reds. Amen. This year is the wrost. Look, if someone smacks my dd, she will defend herself. Smack talk all you want, but dont go kung Foo or roller derby on anyone. This is cleary insane and whacked. I new my eye saw they saw.

This doesn't happen in elite "pay to play" club soccer. It's almost like you get what you pay for.

I told my little self that I bet I get some love from futbul dad....lol. Love you man and this has been a long few years. I also 100% knew that GG would have something to say. OK everyone, I was wrong about HSS. I tried to be 100% behind what my dd wanted and I gave her all my love & support. However, that doesn't allow me to lie to you all and say how safe it is out there and how kickball is not being played. Kick the shins is the new game. I was wrong fellas. It's super dangerous right now and I cannot advise it. If you kid wants to play hss, try and talk her out of it. If she begs, then warn her and tell her to sleep on it. If she begs again, let her to what she wants but warn her how dangerous it is. When I'm wrong about something, I will admit my wrongs, when I'm wrong and I was wrong about HSS and it worse then last year. I still think the girls should have a choice and dad should support her choice. I still think if people put egos aside they could make HSS betteR.

I told my little self that I bet I get some love from futbul dad....lol. Love you man and this has been a long few years. I also 100% knew that GG would have something to say. OK everyone, I was wrong about HSS. I tried to be 100% behind what my dd wanted and I gave her all my love & support. However, that doesn't allow me to lie to you all and say how safe it is out there and how kickball is not being played. Kick the shins is the new game. I was wrong fellas. It's super dangerous right now and I cannot advise it. If you kid wants to play hss, try and talk her out of it. If she begs, then warn her and tell her to sleep on it. If she begs again, let her to what she wants but warn her how dangerous it is. When I'm wrong about something, I will admit my wrongs, when I'm wrong and I was wrong about HSS and it worse then last year. I still think the girls should have a choice and dad should support her choice. I still think if people put egos aside they could make HSS betteR.

It will all be over soon. In a few short months, she'll be a "professional" soccer player and this will be in the rearview mirror.

“You lovin’ me now Jerry”….standing by “awful” in my Description of HSS quality and referees. These referees never played the game. They have no clue.

This doesn't happen in elite "pay to play" club soccer. It's almost like you get what you pay for.
Yeah, no concussions or ACL tears on club teams.

Certainly no club ever carries 20-24 kids on the roster because they know they'll have 4-8 kids injured over the season.

It's a problem across the board. And higher levels have more injuries, not less. You can't escape it by paying more money.

Back