Surf Cup's Fate

Makes you wonder, if AZ comes out and says, “No CA teams playing in AZ” versus “No Out of State teams playing in AZ”, what the real agenda is....
I think wording from the Phoenix City council will be "no out of state teams". They are comrades in arms with LA City/LA County.

I don't know anyone within the Surf Cup organization. For those that may, do you think they will try and contingency plan this thing and look to coordinate other fields outside of the city of Phoenix? There are plenty of fields available but wonder if the extra logistics complexity will force them to call it quits sometime later this week or early next week.

Plenty of quality fields available between Scottsdale, Mesa, Gilbert, Peoria, Maricopa. Just wonder how gung ho they are and if you think they are currently in negotiations with these other cities.

LAUSD and SDUSD? If there is evidence of their request for full reopening then I will rethink my statement. Smaller districts yes (because they don't have the political power) but in most cases hybrid only and/or education that is only in-person in form, and not substance. Been there done that with my kids two school districts that are open 1 or 2 days a week. Pulled my son from hybrid...it was a joke. Other kids are transferring to private schools that are fully open, and have been for sometime. Remind me again how unions aren't controlling this despite the overwhelming evidence, and the blessing of Fauci, that schools should be open. Personally I would put teachers at the top of the vaccination list and see what excuse the unions use now. Maybe public pressure would prevail. (BTW I'm pro public schools, pro teachers and anti teachers' unions because they couldn't care less about the kids.)
Senor, On hybrid, what were the downsides that drove your decision? and any upsides?

genuinely interested in your experience since our two are looking at hybrid soon.

I don't know anyone within the Surf Cup organization. For those that may, do you think they will try and contingency plan this thing and look to coordinate other fields outside of the city of Phoenix? There are plenty of fields available but wonder if the extra logistics complexity will force them to call it quits sometime later this week or early next week.

Plenty of quality fields available between Scottsdale, Mesa, Gilbert, Peoria, Maricopa. Just wonder how gung ho they are and if you think they are currently in negotiations with these other cities.
You might end up having the ironic situation of Surf Cup Sports holding Surf Cup in AZ on Jan. 1, but limited only to AZ teams. Surf needs $$ and will take it anyway they can get it, even if only from 200 teams vs. 800. Then look for the faux AZ teams to be registered by desperate Surf and Blues parents needing that vital youth soccer fix.

Senor, On hybrid, what were the downsides that drove your decision? and any upsides?

genuinely interested in your experience since our two are looking at hybrid soon.
Sure. With my son's hybrid was two days a week (7th Grade). The students were confined to their desks all day long with lunch at their desk. Most of the work was online on their Chromebooks. PE, when they were even allowed, consisted of students holding a rope spaced 6 feet apart and walking two laps on the track. Between the two, hybrid and online, online allowed more flexibility particularly the ability to move about during the day and not be confined to a desk all day. My son's online runs from 9-3 with a lunch break so its pretty intensive.

My daughter's high school is one day a week in person. The day is dependent on your last name alphabetically. The school decided to switch to a quarter system for the pandemic (smart move), so my daughter has 2 to 3 classes depending on the quarter. Right now she goes to school 1 day a week for two hours (usually only 5-6 kids in class). The in-person portion is mildly productive but not much you can do in one hour per subject. One of her teachers, a young guy (don't know if he has any health issues), refuses to return to school, so she has an in-person teacher and an online teacher for the same class. There is little to any online teaching by her teachers, some recorded lessons, but mostly just assignments and self guided learning.

That's our experience, I hope that your hybrid experience will be much better.

Sure. With my son's hybrid was two days a week (7th Grade). The students were confined to their desks all day long with lunch at their desk. Most of the work was online on their Chromebooks. PE, when they were even allowed, consisted of students holding a rope spaced 6 feet apart and walking two laps on the track. Between the two, hybrid and online, online allowed more flexibility particularly the ability to move about during the day and not be confined to a desk all day. My son's online runs from 9-3 with a lunch break so its pretty intensive.

My daughter's high school is one day a week in person. The day is dependent on your last name alphabetically. The school decided to switch to a quarter system for the pandemic (smart move), so my daughter has 2 to 3 classes depending on the quarter. Right now she goes to school 1 day a week for two hours (usually only 5-6 kids in class). The in-person portion is mildly productive but not much you can do in one hour per subject. One of her teachers, a young guy (don't know if he has any health issues), refuses to return to school, so she has an in-person teacher and an online teacher for the same class. There is little to any online teaching by her teachers, some recorded lessons, but mostly just assignments and self guided learning.

I might add that I think the most important question is how the in-person portion of your child's hybrid will resemble traditional in person learning, or will it effectively just be online learning in the classroom.

"Plenty of options..."

Please explain?

Some of us are just much more informed. I guess that is because its difficult to get REAL information while in your isolation bubble. Got my reservations confirmed. Hope we play the best teams in the tournament. I like tough competitive matches where both teams are battling out till the final whistle.

Thx. Input appreciated.

You might end up having the ironic situation of Surf Cup Sports holding Surf Cup in AZ on Jan. 1, but limited only to AZ teams. Surf needs $$ and will take it anyway they can get it, even if only from 200 teams vs. 800. Then look for the faux AZ teams to be registered by desperate Surf and Blues parents needing that vital youth soccer fix.
Ha, the irony would be rich. Surf cup being held over 6 hrs away from a beach.

I can't claim to know how things will play out. In the world of AZ soccer, Surf Cup is a nice to have. Businesses would certainly appreciate it. Not playing Surf may benefit AZ soccer and deny local politicians the leverage to implement useless and baseless restriction on clubs.

Some of us are just much more informed. I guess that is because its difficult to get REAL information while in your isolation bubble. Got my reservations confirmed. Hope we play the best teams in the tournament. I like tough competitive matches where both teams are battling out till the final whistle.
So you think Surf has a contingency plan and has coordinated with other cities to use their fields? Interesting

Wether Surf cancels or does not cancel, we keep on playing. I just found tournaments happening in California this December and January on Indian lands. Also there is the Kandy Cup tournament this January 9th aim to protest against governor greasy Newsom. I would welcome you to join the protest by playing that day. It’s all about organizing among ourselves now. Who needs these big tournaments when we can self organize as parents and teams here ourselves.81240B80-EFD5-42DE-995D-F1BDDB75F777.jpeg

So you don't know jack. Otherwise, you'd share details to help families make fully informed decisions.

If you can't get enough of listening to politicians posture, I believe this is a livestream link to today's Phoenix City Council meeting:

Wether Surf cancels or does not cancel, we keep on playing. I just found tournaments happening in California this December and January on Indian lands. Also there is the Kandy Cup tournament this January 9th aim to protest against governor greasy Newsom. I would welcome you to join the protest by playing that day. It’s all about organizing among ourselves now. Who needs these big tournaments when we can self organize as parents and teams here ourselves.View attachment 9564
Great idea and support it 100% but does nothing for the olders, especially those in recruiting years who don’t have any current game footage.

Back