Surf Cup's Fate

Plenty of options for Surf Cup to proceed. Looking forward to some great soccer play also. Hope they are all close competitive matches. Lots of quality video also so for those of you so afraid to leave your bubble, let me know and I will gladly send you some links so you can watch some great soccer. It will feel just like you were sitting on the sideline cheering for your player and team. Well almost...

It is also so nice to see certain posters giddy that Surf may have to cancel. It is a travesty what has been done to our children. Seems like some hate Surf so much they are ok that the kids will miss out on playing a game they love. Hide behind the safety aspect and claim anyone who dare travel is placing others at risk let alone their own child. All a bunch of nonsense.

I dont hate Surf but they kept extending the dates and it became a joke. They have moved this tournament about 5 times in 6 months.

Most kids just want to play any game they can. Who cares if it's Surf, state cup, or anything else.

They just need to say " Surf 2020 has been cancelled. See you all in the summer of 2021 in San Diego".

Question... For those 03s and 04s still looking to get recruited (assuming they played in ECNL Phoenix), wouldn't you have enough body of work at this point to move discussions forward or move on from those schools that aren't interested? I guess what I'm asking is.. don't college coaches have what they need at this point for those two graduating classes?

Im guessing this is the AZ case curve. Im also guessing thats a catch up from the weekend. check the hospitalizations, still under july

As of today, AZ has only 10% of it's ICU beds available, with COVID ICU bed usage still rising. Same amount of remaining capacity as in July as of today, and expected to drop in the next few weeks.
2020-12-02_9-58-15.png

I couldn’t agree more with this comment. Furious is the right word.

He missed several opportunities to allow kids to get back to it, but kept the blinders on. So much riskier for families to travel out of state to play...COVID, hours driving through the desert, staying in hotels, eating out, etc... It’s shocking that he continued to ignore these realities for months. Very poor leadership.

No chance he gives a single inch on the issue now. Not with COVID raging through the Fall and Winter months. That ship has sailed. Our kids are stuck in this no-win/no-play situation in CA until this pandemic is over.
Once and for all Newsom's actions have nothing directly to do with youth sports. Youth sports won't reopen until schools do, and schools won't reopen until the unions give Newsom the green light.

As far as Surf Cup goes (and I'm not a defender of Surf), but what do we expect them to do in this time of complete uncertainty that they have little to no control over?

Plenty of options for Surf Cup to proceed. Looking forward to some great soccer play also. Hope they are all close competitive matches. Lots of quality video also so for those of you so afraid to leave your bubble, let me know and I will gladly send you some links so you can watch some great soccer. It will feel just like you were sitting on the sideline cheering for your player and team. Well almost...
"Plenty of options..."

Please explain?

What options are you referring? Is there another tournament going on that we don't know about?

That’s a one day spike caused by reporting delays over the holidays. The explanation was in their twitter feed.

Actual AZ cases are 3500-4000 per day. Still ugly enough to cancel Surf, if that’s what they want to do.
Its all about perception at this point. Not a good look for any state. We’ve had other holidays, and Arizona hasn’t seen a spike like this. If anything, it shows the virus is prevalent.

Makes sense with many districts and union approval are requesting/applying to open. Newsome has his own agenda.
LAUSD and SDUSD? If there is evidence of their request for full reopening then I will rethink my statement. Smaller districts yes (because they don't have the political power) but in most cases hybrid only and/or education that is only in-person in form, and not substance. Been there done that with my kids two school districts that are open 1 or 2 days a week. Pulled my son from hybrid...it was a joke. Other kids are transferring to private schools that are fully open, and have been for sometime. Remind me again how unions aren't controlling this despite the overwhelming evidence, and the blessing of Fauci, that schools should be open. Personally I would put teachers at the top of the vaccination list and see what excuse the unions use now. Maybe public pressure would prevail. (BTW I'm pro public schools, pro teachers and anti teachers' unions because they couldn't care less about the kids.)

Its all about perception at this point. Not a good look for any state. We’ve had other holidays, and Arizona hasn’t seen a spike like this. If anything, it shows the virus is prevalent.

No doubt about the prevalence and the optics. Doesn't help that our normal capacity this time of the year is around 89-90%, mostly due to snowbirds. I suspect that elective surgeries are now on the table, as much as the hospitals hate to do that. They are restricting visitors as of now.

Something has to be done in order to be seen as being done. Some of this is about optics, some of it is about public health. Don't think for one minute that our politicians have the interest of the community as a priority. Shut downs aren't popular here. The city of Phoenix is going to do what the city of phoenix is going to do. If other cities don't follow phoenix, then impact on soccer will be uncomfortable but it won't be fatal. Unless the county shuts down everyone, other cities will keep fields open. Practices locations will be harder to come buy. Some clubs that aren't as flexible will be impacted more than others.

None of this is good for Surf. In the eyes of most local, hysterical media, Surf and youth sports is the big, bad, rona boogy man. Target of opportunity.

CA politicians are the real deal boogy men/women.

No doubt about the prevalence and the optics. Doesn't help that our normal capacity this time of the year is around 89-90%, mostly due to snowbirds. I suspect that elective surgeries are now on the table, as much as the hospitals hate to do that. They are restricting visitors as of now.

Something has to be done in order to be seen as being done. Some of this is about optics, some of it is about public health. Don't think for one minute that our politicians have the interest of the community as a priority. Shut downs aren't popular here. The city of Phoenix is going to do what the city of phoenix is going to do. If other cities don't follow phoenix, then impact on soccer will be uncomfortable but it won't be fatal. Unless the county shuts down everyone, other cities will keep fields open. Practices locations will be harder to come buy. Some clubs that aren't as flexible will be impacted more than others.

None of this is good for Surf. In the eyes of most local, hysterical media, Surf and youth sports is the big, bad, rona boogy man. Target of opportunity.

CA politicians are the real deal boogy men/women.
Makes you wonder, if AZ comes out and says, “No CA teams playing in AZ” versus “No Out of State teams playing in AZ”, what the real agenda is....

LAUSD and SDUSD? If there is evidence of their request for full reopening then I will rethink my statement. Smaller districts yes (because they don't have the political power) but in most cases hybrid only and/or education that is only in-person in form, and not substance. Been there done that with my kids two school districts that are open 1 or 2 days a week. Pulled my son from hybrid...it was a joke. Other kids are transferring to private schools that are fully open, and have been for sometime. Remind me again how unions aren't controlling this despite the overwhelming evidence, and the blessing of Fauci, that schools should be open. Personally I would put teachers at the top of the vaccination list and see what excuse the unions use now. Maybe public pressure would prevail. (BTW I'm pro public schools, pro teachers and anti teachers' unions because they couldn't care less about the kids.)
I do not disagree with you on LAUSD and SD, as well as the sentiment towards their unions. We have in fact agreed on this in the past. However, your statement overall is a blanket one and does not consider each individual district and what they are doing. Yes, those two throw their weight around but that is not overwhelming evidence of union control. Smaller districts do have the power to begin the reopening process if they so chose to. Of course the current level of education being thrust upon students is not rigorous as we would like. Not to mention all the other downsides to not being on campus. Pulling your child was a personal choice and an issue you have with how your districts delivers academic services. Which I can also agree with you. BTW-I am an educator who has worked for LAUSD and left the politics/messiness of that district. As well as having issues with unions. Their are many hands involved not just a union.

Last edited:
I do not disagree with you on LAUSD and SD, as well as the sentiment towards their unions. We have in fact agreed on this in the past. However, your statement overall is a blanket one and does not consider each individual district and what they are doing. Yes, those two throw their weight around but that is not overwhelming evidence of union control. Smaller districts do have the power to begin the reopening process if they so chose to. Of course the current level of education being thrust upon students is not rigorous as we would like. Not to mention all the other downsides to not being on campus. Pulling your child was a personal choice and an issue you have with how your districts delivers academic services. Which I can also agree with you. BTW-I am an educator who has worked for LAUSD and left the politics/messiness of that district. As well as having issues with unions. Their are many hands involved not just a union.
To support Lastman’s point, I’m teaching 5 days a week like normal in my elementary classroom and have been for a month. Our union easily agreed with our district, and it wasn’t because we don’t have power. Our teachers overwhelmingly wanted to go back too.

It's easy to blame governor or whoever else, but in this case I believe Surf Cup is at fault by not calling quit when they should have and holding up all the money from teams who applied in the beginning of the year. Now they will come up with excuses of spending some of the money for field reservation or whatever else. 20-25% of your fees not coming back? Just a guess.

All fair points. It would have been more accurate for me to say the major teachers' unions.

Back