Surf cup throws in the towel...well kind of!

I dedicate this song to that 09 goat team :) Only crazy goats and their crazy parents would drive every weekend to AZ, You know what, I think I would but only during these times and only one season. If same next season, then we just move :)

we’ve done 2 tournaments in Arizona over the last month.Third one next week. So far 2/2 Champs... so much fun to see them win. That’s a vacation for me. Traveling and seeing my daughter play soccer.

we’ve done 2 tournaments in Arizona over the last month.Third one next week. So far 2/2 Champs... so much fun to see them win. That’s a vacation for me. Traveling and seeing my daughter play soccer.
2 for 2 is incredible, especially on the road so much. You must go for the trifecta Luis. You're one crazy ass dad but hey, aren;t we all? I remember all the tournaments and it was a vacation with a rush of sports. Winning makes it funner.......

A year ago, when DA and DPL teams were taking a day off of school to travel to AZ/NV for league games - I thought it was ridiculous.. Escpecially for HS aged players that need grades for college.
But now- I've got no issue with any age or any level team taking a Friday and/or a Monday off so kids can play a game. Maybe it's because the definition of "school" has changed so much.

A year ago, when DA and DPL teams were taking a day off of school to travel to AZ/NV for league games - I thought it was ridiculous.. Escpecially for HS aged players that need grades for college.
But now- I've got no issue with any age or any level team taking a Friday and/or a Monday off so kids can play a game. Maybe it's because the definition of "school" has changed so much.
You can do school just like you can do work from anywhere. The great change is happening :)

Surf cup should just call it a day and take their losses in 2020. California parents are already spending so much money going to AZ every month for tournaments. Must be nice to have the money to spend $800 to $1k going to these tournament. There’s an 09 team that has been going every other week to AZ for tournaments. I dont see how this eventually doesnt lead to burnout.
Burnout? Even if they play a tournament every month, they still end the year with around 9 to 12 games.

Most likely, they’ll cut way back whenever league play returns. League + state cup + monthly tournament would be insane.

Burnout? Even if they play a tournament every month, they still end the year with around 9 to 12 games.

Most likely, they’ll cut way back whenever league play returns. League + state cup + monthly tournament would be insane.
Burnout will come in the form of parental burnout.
Even staying at a hotel that is "only" - $100 per night- the cheapest weekend of travel to AZ/NV/UT is gonna run you $500 (hotel, gas, food, etc). Maybe you can go lower budget by staying with friends/family and cooking your own meals. But that's still gonna "burn" you out. 12 hours round trip in a car is something I can only do every so often.
Plenty of OC families won't blink an eye spending big on a weekend - But there's a lot of players out there who won't be able to foot that bill or time off of work that often.

Even staying at a hotel that is "only" - $100 per night- the cheapest weekend of travel to AZ/NV/UT is gonna run you $500 (hotel, gas, food, etc). Maybe you can go lower budget by staying with friends/family and cooking your own meals. But that's still gonna "burn" you out. 12 hours round trip in a car is something I can only do every so often.
Plenty of OC families won't blink an eye spending big on a weekend - But there's a lot of players out there who won't be able to foot that bill or time off of work that often.
1603130374578.png

Can’t even do that when everything is stay and pay.

Be glad it’s 12 hours round trip. It’s 12 hours one way for the norcal teams.

I know a SDUSD kindergarten teacher that is teaching her students from an apartment in Hawaii.

I have no remorse if my child misses a day of ill conceived remote learning. Actually, I had no issue for him missing a Friday of in-person learning last year. Nevermind.

Can’t even do that when everything is stay and pay.

Be glad it’s 12 hours round trip. It’s 12 hours one way for the norcal teams.
It also made a “little” bit is sense for an older team if you were making a long trip because a college scout was going to be there.
No scouts allowed until sometime in 2021 (for d1)

With the population of CA, especially SOCAL, why are 10 and 11 year old players traveling more than 2 hrs to play a soccer game? I know not every zip code is equal in population density. I get it as players get older, the "more skilled" population shrinks.

With the population of CA, especially SOCAL, why are 10 and 11 year old players traveling more than 2 hrs to play a soccer game? I know not every zip code is equal in population density. I get it as players get older, the "more skilled" population shrinks.
(why would youngers travel long distances)

For norcal, there just aren’t that many top teams. For 2010, it is MVLA, Mustangs, San Juan, Blues FC, Rage, Ajax, Clovis, Odyssey, Clippers, Fusion, Orange. Below that, you start getting into serious blowout territory.

Which leaves you with 3 options if you don’t want to always play the same 10 teams. You can play 2009, you can play against boys, or you can travel beyond norcal.

(why would youngers travel long distances)

For norcal, there just aren’t that many top teams. For 2010, it is MVLA, Mustangs, San Juan, Blues FC, Rage, Ajax, Clovis, Odyssey, Clippers, Fusion, Orange. Below that, you start getting into serious blowout territory.

Which leaves you with 3 options if you don’t want to always play the same 10 teams. You can play 2009, you can play against boys, or you can travel beyond norcal.
Some will call me crazy- but heres an idea- let’s not create super teams of 10 year olds. Instead of having a roster of the 16 best players within 50 miles- spread those players among a few other teams.

Some will call me crazy- but heres an idea- let’s not create super teams of 10 year olds. Instead of having a roster of the 16 best players within 50 miles- spread those players among a few other teams.
I don’t think any of those teams draw from a 50 mile radius. More like 10.

You could break them up into different teams. But they want to practice against each other. They’d all migrate to the same team again anyway. Norcal just doesn’t have more than about 100-150 top level players in any one year.

Sorry, but IMHO this is awful idea with recreational mentality behind it. Best players need to play with best players. Besides that they must have the best coach. Period.

Sorry, but IMHO this is awful idea with recreational mentality behind it. Best players need to play with best players. Besides that they must have the best coach. Period.

I don’t disagree with this statement. My quote is based on people saying they need to travel 12 hours to get a competitive game. For 10 year olds.
(And are they the “best” coaches or the best aggregators of talent / athletic kids)

I don’t disagree with this statement. My quote is based on people saying they need to travel 12 hours to get a competitive game. For 10 year olds.
(And are they the “best” coaches or the best aggregators of talent / athletic kids)
Right now you have no choice but to travel somewhere to play. It is what it is. So if someone decides to travel, why would you not want to be on a best team possible? You probably know that way home could be a lot longer after a loss :)

In today’s California, this is what you have to do. Can’t play competitive games “legally” so you have to travel 12 hours to a state that will let you.

That is the ridiculousness we are dealing with.

Why can't they waive the stay and play rules of these out of state tournaments that are benifiting from the screwed up situation in California by getting all these teams to come to their state to play in the tournament that they normally wouldn't be. Why must we also have to stay in their overpriced hotels. I don't like the stay and play even under normal circumstances but under these circumstances it's pretty much B.S. Especially Surf Cup in Arizona but even the tiny little cactus cup and turkey cup that normally have zero out of state teams now getting a lot are stay and play. What if I want to stay in Uncle Eddie's desert trailer for free?

Back