Surf cup throws in the towel...well kind of!

Gkdad1

SILVER

Tournament going to be held in Phoenix

Bummer it wasnt in August. Were going to miss this one and never play in another Surf Cup. Next summer were out of here on a long deserved vacation. One month get away. Have fun everyone and I truly hope its a big hit and maybe it will be the first big tournament colleges can see recruits. I truly want everyone to be able to play soccer, even if it's in AZ.

Is this the foreshadow for the big leagues to move to Zona/Nevada even next year? I think so but we will see. All fallen apart since Igar told off numnuts Gavin.

Is this the foreshadow for the big leagues to move to Zona/Nevada even next year? I think so but we will see. All fallen apart since Igar told off numnuts Gavin.
Numnuts is such a "Dad" word, lol! My Dad said that all the time. And if this happens, you'll see even more families drop off due to the extensive extra travel. Such a mess, and a shame.

Are there really that many families that desperate for a soccer tournament to give up their xmas or New Year holidays? MLS, ECNL and other leagues already have showcases scheduled outside CA so plenty of opportunity to be seen. This is Surf desperate for income - ignore the altruistic angle they're pitching. I'm sure there will be a mandatory stay in sponsored hotel requirement too.

Are there really that many families that desperate for a soccer tournament to give up their xmas or New Year holidays? MLS, ECNL and other leagues already have showcases scheduled outside CA so plenty of opportunity to be seen. This is Surf desperate for income - ignore the altruistic angle they're pitching. I'm sure there will be a mandatory stay in sponsored hotel requirement too.
The answer is yes. And not everyone plays in the MLS, ECNL. Teams will show, just like they flock to SOCAL every year for thanksgiving. Livin the 'rona' life.

My sweet sweet DD has been playing soccer on Thanksgiving and News Years for a long time until two years ago. I will say I never had to twist her arm to go play in New Years Eagles Classic in Camarillo or Surf Thanksgiving in Oceanside. The kicker is her bday is Jan 4th. You all know how much I love Surf Cup. AZ Surf Cup is not Surf Cup. Dates of Jan 1st-Jan 4th was going to be a hard sell because their is no way I'm going and I had a hunch what my dd would say. Drive back in a rush for 6 hours through the dessert on your 17th bday is a hard sell on any teenager.

Dad: Hi honey. Guess what?
DD: What now daddy
Dad: Surf Cup is going to be in AZ to kickoff 2021 soccer. It's going to be played Jan 1st thru the.... ((dd jumps in quickly))
DD: No!!!!!!!!

I did find this cool road trip video to AZ and all the cool places you can visit that some might find helpful. With everyone heading to AZ to find a soccer game or tournaments now, you might as well visit all the cool places in the dessert. Slow the drive and enjoy :)

Are there really that many families that desperate for a soccer tournament to give up their xmas or New Year holidays? MLS, ECNL and other leagues already have showcases scheduled outside CA so plenty of opportunity to be seen. This is Surf desperate for income - ignore the altruistic angle they're pitching. I'm sure there will be a mandatory ? stay in sponsored hotel requirement too.
Will college coaches really give up their New Year's holiday and travel to see a few games???

You'll need to drive since LAX and John Wayne during peak flu season will be jammed packed unless you're going to be that asshole parent who decides to risk the health of the entire team to save a few hours.

LOL @ those travel dates

You'll need to drive since LAX and John Wayne during peak flu season will be jammed packed unless you're going to be that asshole parent who decides to risk the health of the entire team to save a few hours.

LOL @ those travel dates
The big sell is they talked with many of the coaches and they say the show must go on. If the dark period is lifted, the timing is perfect for many and what's not to like about that. If my dd said yes, my wife would drive this time or she could go with friends. So many 2021, 2022 and 2023 not committed and because of the pandemic or plandemic ((allegedly)) their is a huge back log and many kids not signed so this is a good thing for many and no reason to rain on someone else's desire to play soccer. I drove to AZ for the Cactus Cup and some said that was a waist of time. It was a shot in the arm and that's all my dd needed to feel normal again. New Years Eve drive to AZ is just not something I could personally handle emotionally and I know my limits. Plus, do you know how many tournaments and showcases are scheduled or hoping to be played after Nov 3rd?

Know lots of teams from Norcal heading to Vegas for Mayors Cup early December. I can't imagine those same teams turning around and heading to AZ just a few weeks later. For Norcal, AZ is too long of a drive. Most are driving to Vegas to avoid plane rides.

My dd was jumping up and down, trying every possible lever to get parents to say she can go.

I dont think she cares when it is, or whether it comes with an overpriced hotel room. She'd volunteer for a 6am game on Christmas day at this point.

My dd was jumping up and down, trying every possible lever to get parents to say she can go.

I dont think she cares when it is, or whether it comes with an overpriced hotel room. She'd volunteer for a 6am game on Christmas day at this point.
Love it and true goat right there! I know we have lot's of new dads and mons with u-litties joining the forum lately and I want to extend an olive branch of sage youth soccer wisdom to my new friends. Dad 4, this is when you need to intervene and just say. "no!" I was such a people pleaser and I couldn't say no to anyone. Every week, her old big club wanted to borrow her for this tournament and that tournament. It was fun, but it was also way too much. So, just say no!!!

Love it and true goat right there! I know we have lot's of new dads and mons with u-litties joining the forum lately and I want to extend an olive branch of sage youth soccer wisdom to my new friends. Dad 4, this is when you need to intervene and just say. "no!" I was such a people pleaser and I couldn't say no to anyone. Every week, her old big club wanted to borrow her for this tournament and that tournament. It was fun, but it was also way too much. So, just say no!!!
Agree with you that too many games is a bad thing.

But we will probably vote yes when they ask us. I'll be the guy in the haz-mat suit and binoculars.

I hate saying this, but I did told you so :)
BS, meaning you dont hate saying that :) I was wrong Eagle and you were right and I give you mad props brah. Good call. It was my hope with in me that hoped for at least a September Cup but no way in hell that was going to happen. No one got Surf AZ though, right? That came out of nowhere and no way we going to play in AZ for Surf. Happy Sunday to you Eagle and the family......

I can understand going if you have an uncommitted 2021, 2022 grad. 2023 grads will be too early now that existing college players get an extra year of eligibility. All others going are more for the parents than the kids. Use the time and money to do something extra special with/for your kids, especially in this crazy time. Say "bye" to 2020 with its lessons of family first in mind (pandemic, Kobe, fires, Floyd, etc.) Soccer will be here for years to come. If you play for Surf, you don't have a choice (bummer). If you play for all other clubs, you do.

Back