Surf cup throws in the towel...well kind of!

Why can't they waive the stay and play rules of these out of state tournaments that are benifiting from the screwed up situation in California by getting all these teams to come to their state to play in the tournament that they normally wouldn't be. Why must we also have to stay in their overpriced hotels. I don't like the stay and play even under normal circumstances but under these circumstances it's pretty much B.S. Especially Surf Cup in Arizona but even the tiny little cactus cup and turkey cup that normally have zero out of state teams now getting a lot are stay and play. What if I want to stay in Uncle Eddie's desert trailer for free?
I'm sure if you want to stay at Uncle Eddie's, it will be just fine. The whole team don't have to stay and play - only number of people.

Why can't they waive the stay and play rules of these out of state tournaments that are benifiting from the screwed up situation in California by getting all these teams to come to their state to play in the tournament that they normally wouldn't be. Why must we also have to stay in their overpriced hotels. I don't like the stay and play even under normal circumstances but under these circumstances it's pretty much B.S. Especially Surf Cup in Arizona but even the tiny little cactus cup and turkey cup that normally have zero out of state teams now getting a lot are stay and play. What if I want to stay in Uncle Eddie's desert trailer for free?
Why? Because we’ve spent the last 20 years making AZ teams stay in overpriced hotels at our tournaments.

I agree it is BS, but CA clubs have no right to complain about it. I’ll fork over my credit card and thank them for letting my kid play on their fields.

Why? Because we’ve spent the last 20 years making AZ teams stay in overpriced hotels at our tournaments.

I agree it is BS, but CA clubs have no right to complain about it. I’ll fork over my credit card and thank them for letting my kid play on their fields.
So true....sad, but true.

Only the ones who don’t host Stay and Play Tournaments can complain (LOL).

This is what me and my little family have to do now to save a buck. We can;t afford $500-$1,000 a week for soccer in AZ and NV. We stay with the Cactus at night and i hold my wife as we stair at stars & planets together.

1603139712173.png

Stay and Play in Utah, Nevada, and Arizona is $100-$150 a night. Compare that to the San Diego County hotels that run $200-$300, we are getting off cheap.

If they drop the stay and play rules, why would they want to put on the tournament at all?

This is what me and my little family have to do now to save a buck. We can;t afford $500-$1,000 a week for soccer in AZ and NV. We stay with the Cactus at night and i hold my wife as we stair at stars & planets together.

View attachment 9298
It looks like Joshua Tree! Is there an up and coming Joshua Tree Cup?? Oh, wait, JT in CA so I guess not till next year

I can understand going if you have an uncommitted 2021, 2022 grad. 2023 grads will be too early now that existing college players get an extra year of eligibility. All others going are more for the parents than the kids. Use the time and money to do something extra special with/for your kids, especially in this crazy time. Say "bye" to 2020 with its lessons of family first in mind (pandemic, Kobe, fires, Floyd, etc.) Soccer will be here for years to come. If you play for Surf, you don't have a choice (bummer). If you play for all other clubs, you do.
A
Soon the new model will be playing on the AZ/CA boarder and rent out these desert houses. Rent Camels to get to their fields a mile a way.

View attachment 9301
love that!

Burnout will come in the form of parental burnout.
Even staying at a hotel that is "only" - $100 per night- the cheapest weekend of travel to AZ/NV/UT is gonna run you $500 (hotel, gas, food, etc). Maybe you can go lower budget by staying with friends/family and cooking your own meals. But that's still gonna "burn" you out. 12 hours round trip in a car is something I can only do every so often.
Plenty of OC families won't blink an eye spending big on a weekend - But there's a lot of players out there who won't be able to foot that bill or time off of work that often.
Guest players!

So, are top teams and their top players coming to Surf Cup AZ?

The top teams with plenty of money. Yes. The top players from inner cities, no.

By the way, they keep playing street ball and hispanic leagues in some of the inner cities. Nobody is going to stop a kid with no wifi and no backyard from playing street ball.

The top teams with plenty of money. Yes. The top players from inner cities, no.

By the way, they keep playing street ball and hispanic leagues in some of the inner cities. Nobody is going to stop a kid with no wifi and no backyard from playing street ball.
No one is going to stop a kid from playing streetball?

Only if it is in the street. I've seen more than one park with padlocks or obstacles placed on the field to keep kids from playing.

No one is going to stop a kid from playing streetball?

Only if it is in the street. I've seen more than one park with padlocks or obstacles placed on the field to keep kids from playing.
You don't need a field to play street ball. You need a Street. :D

Back