Surf cup throws in the towel...well kind of!

This is the one ask that I hope I get next year. It's a long shot but man, it's looking more and more promising :) Can you imagine some top D1 coach flying out California to just watch a girl play a HS Soccer game? Not!!!! But hey, one can dream it a little.
Don't know much about girls, but local D1, D2, JC and NAIA coaches do come to watch HS boys games. Fact.

Let’s keep in mind that indoor soccer is in full effect in SoCal. You don’t need to spend your entire weekend traveling out of state for a soccer game. Kids just want to play and indoor can take care of that. I saw a tournament advertised in Yuma.....!? It looks like AZ is going to do to SoCal what we’ve been doing to them all these years advertising crappy tournaments. Someone is going to make a lot of money from crazy parents traveling to AZ every other weekend.

Where are you seeing indoor soccer being played in so ca? The indoor fields near me are still closed. I was hoping there would be some good indoor pick up games starting up as some restrictions on business were lessened.

Where are you seeing indoor soccer being played in so ca? The indoor fields near me are still closed. I was hoping there would be some good indoor pick up games starting up as some restrictions on business were lessened.

North County Soccer Park in Poway seems to be open, judging by their website, but their "indoor" fields are actually outdoors.

Sorry to hear that but understandable. How many games is AZ high school season? 20?

Will local college coaches come out for HS games?

I don't know exactly how any games in the season. They start play in NOV, there is a HS college showcase in DEC that gets some facetime with local and regional coaches. The season extends into FEB, later into FEB if your team is on a playoff run.

The community college coaches have a presence at some games. Some of them are also HS coaches. The only men's program in AZ is Grand Canyon University.

@futboldad. What makes you think the dead period will be extended? Yes there are rising cases on campuses as well as among teams. But that’s somewhat different than a sole coach boarding a flight to Phoenix... Or do you have better specific intel?

One of my buddies growing up is an established coach at a large D1 school..... his thoughts are it'll be moved to early spring and that date will finally stick...... he is only speculating based on his talks with other coaches....... but he did add that he thought the timing of Surf was the opposite of ideal and that he was not happy with Surf blasting "get seen first at our event" as it just needlessly adds to the panic and preys on the worry of families........

sorry.....nothing factual about an extension...... with C-19 hard dates are like rocking horse do-do......

One of my buddies growing up is an established coach at a large D1 school..... his thoughts are it'll be moved to early spring and that date will finally stick...... he is only speculating based on his talks with other coaches....... but he did add that he thought the timing of Surf was the opposite of ideal and that he was not happy with Surf blasting "get seen first at our event" as it just needlessly adds to the panic and preys on the worry of families........

sorry.....nothing factual about an extension...... with C-19 hard dates are like rocking horse do-do......
A huge wave is fast approaching and the warnings are loud and clear. The choice is clear and one has to decide how he or she wants the future to be. I was told by a buddy who is also a big coach and he said no way coaches are looking to travel during New Years. I'll leave it at that. Most want to go see a loved one first before they go find the next Mia.

A huge wave is fast approaching and the warnings are loud and clear. The choice is clear and one has to decide how he or she wants the future to be. I was told by a buddy who is also a big coach and he said no way coaches are looking to travel during New Years. I'll leave it at that. Most want to go see a loved one first before they go find the next Mia.

it seems like we had similar conversations...... many college coaches do not want to be traveling at Christmas & New Years period..... family, terrible weather across much of country...... the reasons can go on...... Surf should leave the tournaments in Az to the Az clubs, it is their state

it seems like we had similar conversations...... many college coaches do not want to be traveling at Christmas & New Years period..... family, terrible weather across much of country...... the reasons can go on...... Surf should leave the tournaments in Az to the Az clubs, it is their state
Some say the demand is high and the show must go on but the coaches I know said they haven;t seen a loved one in 8 months. Supply & Demand :)

Surf cup should just call it a day and take their losses in 2020. California parents are already spending so much money going to AZ every month for tournaments. Must be nice to have the money to spend $800 to $1k going to these tournament. There’s an 09 team that has been going every other week to AZ for tournaments. I dont see how this eventually doesnt lead to burnout.

Surf cup should just call it a day and take their losses in 2020. California parents are already spending so much money going to AZ every month for tournaments. Must be nice to have the money to spend $800 to $1k going to these tournament. There’s an 09 team that has been going every other week to AZ for tournaments. I dont see how this eventually doesnt lead to burnout.
I dedicate this song to that 09 goat team :) Only crazy goats and their crazy parents would drive every weekend to AZ, You know what, I think I would but only during these times and only one season. If same next season, then we just move :)

09 travel teams are a money scam to start with. I think ECNL and now GA having U13 teams is a money grab and does nothing to advance the game of soccer in this country.

Clubs don't care about burnout, they rather like you to burn your dollars at the earliest age possible while working their pitch on the parents in pipeline. Simple sales model and effective on emotional customers.

Pure speculation here but your conversations with your childhood friend are consistent with what I’m observing at my kids club. Recently, the coaches have been in contact and the younger players are on standby.

The older players (15-16) selected for the FIFA Mexico pilot have been promoted to the first team and are presumably preparing for U17 National Team camps. Some of the older girls (17-21) are preparing for the U20 world cup in January 2021.

I’d bet that US Soccer and colleges coaches are close to getting things back to normal too. Spring sounds about right to me.

I would have to agree with you, Surf needs to call it a day. At this point they are being disruptive to many.

Back