Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

Questions with recruiting during this Coronavirus Pandemic - With Sophomores and Juniors, has the recruiting season come to a complete halt? For Sophomores, since school is technically done, how's that working out to contact coaches. How is the recruiting process going to Juniors? Just curious because I only can imagine how difficult this this.

Anyone feel like watching and maybe giving some feedback on my son's homemade Highlight video?

I really like the video but find the music distracting. I in full disclosure, I hate Imagine Dragons, so use that as a barometer... but if I'm a coach watching video after video... some low volume music in the background would be my preference.

This is a great highlight video. Excellent quality, perfect length and well thought out mixture of skills/physicality displayed. Only suggestion would be to just have one photo for the beginning.
Anyone feel like watching and maybe giving some feedback on my son's homemade Highlight video?
It's a great video bc it makes your son look like a great player. Well done.

Dub's advice is good regarding picture with name and grad year.

Outlaw's advice regarding music is very personal. Remember that you want the coach to feel pumped up and think your kid is very energetic/full of stamina. A soft musical note may be less annoying but also creates a slow and gentle feeling re a player. Coaches can always lower volume or put it on mute.

I liked how you showed the weak foot cross and different various movements by your player.

The ending was good but a picture one side of the screen while displaying the accolades is good. Also, if you are sending directly to coaches, including phone numbers of references along with the email you provided would be great as different coaches have different preferences.

Since Coaches may not be able to go to games due to Corona Virus or travel restrictions, I would also include a link of a full game for them to watch.

It's a great video bc it makes your son look like a great player. Well done.

Dub's advice is good regarding picture with name and grad year.

Outlaw's advice regarding music is very personal. Remember that you want the coach to feel pumped up and think your kid is very energetic/full of stamina. A soft musical note may be less annoying but also creates a slow and gentle feeling re a player. Coaches can always lower volume or put it on mute.

I liked how you showed the weak foot cross and different various movements by your player.

The ending was good but a picture one side of the screen while displaying the accolades is good. Also, if you are sending directly to coaches, including phone numbers of references along with the email you provided would be great as different coaches have different preferences.

Since Coaches may not be able to go to games due to Corona Virus or travel restrictions, I would also include a link of a full game for them to watch.
Adding my two cents:
Tried and true music for soccer highlights: Viva La Vida by Coldplay. The beat of music matches the pace of soccer perfectly.

Have player give commentaries in the background on some of the plays and explain his decision making process. It makes the video more personal and shows off his soccer IQ.

I thought the video started out strong but it then faded a bit, and I couldn't quite figure out why. Upon watching it again, I noticed you have highlights taken from the stand (better viewing angle) all in the first half of the video. Highlights taken from field level view (harder to see) are all in the second half of the video.

Very well done. Hope it all works out for him.

Nice job on the video. Shows his athleticism and IQ, especially off the ball. The only suggestion I would add is maybe include a few defensive plays.

So many good things in here! I watched on my phone and the text size on the accolades was too small to read. The video displays a nice range of skills and his read on the game, but no defense. Some coaches want to be able to tell who the competition is (who is he playing against in the clips). Best of luck!

Beyond the obvious skillful ball handling, goal scoring, and setting up teammates --

Positive: Defensive ball steal at about 1:06
- left-footed trap at :42
- plays right side in some games (club?) and left side in others (high school?)

Negative: weak attempt with outside of right foot at :19 where an inside left might have been better
- body language at :45

Anyone have their dd/ds commit yesterday? Do they call the commit? If that's the case, T-Mobile ruined any chance she had to get the call. Oh well, better luck next year :)

Anyone have their dd/ds commit yesterday? Do they call the commit? If that's the case, T-Mobile ruined any chance she had to get the call. Oh well, better luck next year :)
Normally you get emails setting up a time for a phone call. If you have already went to a schools ID camp or school visit, next step would be an official visit. Of course getting on campus hosting a soccer event is the tricky part given the virus. Did you get any emails?

Normally you get emails setting up a time for a phone call. If you have already went to a schools ID camp or school visit, next step would be an official visit. Of course getting on campus hosting a soccer event is the tricky part given the virus. Did you get any emails?

Can't do visits for a while (Aug of Jr year?) and I think the NCAA still has a moratorium in place for any in-person contacts (due to Covid; perhaps through the end of this month). I can't imagine any player committing w/o being on campus to get an insider's view of the facilities + meet with coaches + meet with academic support on campus. I also can't imagine any recruit committing w/o seeing current players interacting with each other and with the coach - even if she or he were to start in a couple of years, the vibe a coach sets with her or his team is indicative of what a player might find if that coach is still running the program.

Check that . . . I can imagine players doing it b/c I'm guessing a lot of them will feel pressure to commit. But I think that is a major downside in the recent (the ones from 5/1/19) changes to recruiting rules (verbals are permitted b/4 on campus visits are). I won't give specifics but when my own kid was going through the process, it was the spring "season" and we did get to see those interactions and I think they were really valuable. Further, that "insider" view of athletic and academic support may actually be the most significant factor in her ultimate decision and why, even with a coaching change, she never wavered from that decision.

Heard that there were lots of calls happening and emails to set up calls in the coming week. No commits as kids want to visit and take their time. Schools offered officials when ncaa allows them (November or January is current projection).
id imagine some commits will happen before then once kids talk to interested coaches and may have some knowledge of campus/program/team life. And for Stanford/unc/etc do kids need to visit? I’m assuming those goats don’t hesitate to take those offers. But who knows. Hopefully this new extended timetable will see kids wait and get lots of info and meet lots of coaches.

Heard that there were lots of calls happening and emails to set up calls in the coming week. No commits as kids want to visit and take their time. Schools offered officials when ncaa allows them (November or January is current projection).
id imagine some commits will happen before then once kids talk to interested coaches and may have some knowledge of campus/program/team life. And for Stanford/unc/etc do kids need to visit? I’m assuming those goats don’t hesitate to take those offers. But who knows. Hopefully this new extended timetable will see kids wait and get lots of info and meet lots of coaches.

Those places plus top GKs (since schools don't recruit multiple high-level GKs in the same class). But if you are being recruited by Stanford, there's a good chance you are hearing from UNC, UCLA, etc. And the vibe at one place may be radically different than another. I agree that kids may not have to look at the school if they get offers but I think that's sort of a sad situation (I'm not crying in a corner; just saying for discussion purposes) since that means that a kid would be committing based on reputational information alone - that seems wrong (and sort of exploitive a player's immaturity if they are given a short timeline)

Those places plus top GKs (since schools don't recruit multiple high-level GKs in the same class). But if you are being recruited by Stanford, there's a good chance you are hearing from UNC, UCLA, etc. And the vibe at one place may be radically different than another. I agree that kids may not have to look at the school if they get offers but I think that's sort of a sad situation (I'm not crying in a corner; just saying for discussion purposes) since that means that a kid would be committing based on reputational information alone - that seems wrong (and sort of exploitive a player's immaturity if they are given a short timeline)
Agreed. Kids need to get a feel for the school, vibe and overall culture. Without that it's a pretty big risk even if it's a big name university.

Back