Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

Yeah this is a super helpful thread! We’re in the thick of it and I have a question:

My daughter attended an excellent multiple school ID camp recently and within a moth, got invitedby three different coaches to attend their on-campus camps. One of the invites is Stanford. Are the schools sending the same invitation to everyone on the multiple school camp list so they can fill quota? Or, are they actually inviting players they are genuinely interested in? Thanks.
It does not matter if they are genuinely interested or not. If she has a great day at the camp, they will become genuinely interested. Tell her to go to the camp and have fun and work hard.

I am officially retired from this website (my player just graduated from college in December so she isn't a youth player anymore) but this is great advice to listen to. Good luck to your players. You have them on a great path and you are very pragmatic about the process which is the key. I started this thread right before she started college 4 years ago in order to try and get some useful info out there that had helped me during my daughter's process.

Enjoy the ride it goes fast. Now I have to fly to DC to see her play. Now back into exile...
It would be nice if you started a thread on NWSL players. The journey getting there, remaining there and how the girls continue to survive/or not survive on their incomes.

It would be nice if you started a thread on NWSL players. The journey getting there, remaining there and how the girls continue to survive/or not survive on their incomes.
I almost wrote that to @MakeAPlay . Please Map. I'm 100% interested in the league from a parents perspective of a Goat. No more Unicorns now thank God. Just the top Goats from all over the world playing top level soccer. No more homework? Some I hear during Grad work which is awesome. I 100% wish your dd success at the Pro level and would like to hear about the journey she's on.

If you are truly interested I might be able to find the time to share what she shares with me. I can tell you that the Spirit organization is well run and from what I hear they are very deliberate in their processes. They are the only team that I know of that signed all of their draft picks prior to the season and they even signed a player that was not drafted. From what I am witnessing most of the teams are only signing their top one or two picks and apparently deciding to offer contracts to the other players down the road if they make the team.

I was worried when my now adult player told me that she wanted to play domestically but her club has been fabulous and she is absolutely loving being there. She has been there for a few weeks and she is fitting in great. The level of play is outstanding and the coaching staff is building their team around a style of play. I'm excited to see where this all goes and I will be racking up my Delta miles this season.

If enough forum folks are interested I could probably share more. Good luck to you and your player.

I almost wrote that to @MakeAPlay . Please Map. I'm 100% interested in the league from a parents perspective of a Goat. No more Unicorns now thank God. Just the top Goats from all over the world playing top level soccer. No more homework? Some I hear during Grad work which is awesome. I 100% wish your dd success at the Pro level and would like to hear about the journey she's on.

You aren't kidding about top GOATS from all over the world. Their new striker is from Japan and is only 5'1 but she is an absolute BADASS. Just further proof that it isn't about the size of the dog in the fight. It's all about the size of the fight in the dog!

If you are truly interested I might be able to find the time to share what she shares with me. I can tell you that the Spirit organization is well run and from what I hear they are very deliberate in their processes. They are the only team that I know of that signed all of their draft picks prior to the season and they even signed a player that was not drafted. From what I am witnessing most of the teams are only signing their top one or two picks and apparently deciding to offer contracts to the other players down the road if they make the team.

I was worried when my now adult player told me that she wanted to play domestically but her club has been fabulous and she is absolutely loving being there. She has been there for a few weeks and she is fitting in great. The level of play is outstanding and the coaching staff is building their team around a style of play. I'm excited to see where this all goes and I will be racking up my Delta miles this season.

If enough forum folks are interested I could probably share more. Good luck to you and your player.
Can we get some real numbers on salary, benefits, endorsement deals if any? Maybe a high for the top top, middle for the middle and low for those trying to play soccer still? I want girls like your dd and all the best to come play in America, not oversees. Good luck to her :)

While you are at the airport, flying to see her play, feed us some information about her growth and new life. This is the most useful thread on this forum and the NWSL would continue it a step further for the GOATS that will make it there or for the younger players striving to get to GOAT status. It would give everyone a realistic view of what to expect.

Can we get some real numbers on salary, benefits, endorsement deals if any? Maybe a high for the top top, middle for the middle and low for those trying to play soccer still? I want girls like your dd and all the best to come play in America, not oversees. Good luck to her :)

Salary varies from a little over $20k to about $100k (for players getting allocation money). Benefits include an apartment and medical. Endorsements unfortunately go to the players with some name recognition and not something that most players get. They were introduced at an NBA game the other day. It's a labor of love until you become somebody and hopefully then it is still a labor of love. For my player soccer isn't her endgame. It is harbor that she is docked in for now. She is thinking about getting a masters in public policy and is studying LSAT prep books. Her roommate was already admitted to law school but is deferring her enrollment until she finishes her soccer career. So far everyone has been amazing.

Good luck to you and your player.

While you are at the airport, flying to see her play, feed us some information about her growth and new life. This is the most useful thread on this forum and the NWSL would continue it a step further for the GOATS that will make it there or for the younger players striving to get to GOAT status. It would give everyone a realistic view of what to expect.

They provide all of the basics for her. It's training 4 days a week. On the field and weights all of those days. It is a easier than college in some ways for her because no studies but at the same time every training session and weight workout is intense. Lot's of team related activities. She went to some Gala at a children's hospital last night. She went to an NBA game the other day. She has been adjusting well and even told me that 50 degree whether doesn't bother her anymore. She had her first practice in the snow. I don't know how the other teams function but her team is an extremely professional environment and they are very integrated into the community. it is intense and having good technical skills is critical at every position including keeper. Everyone there is a pro and brings an intensity to training that is unlike anything even at the elite colleges.

I will learn more as time goes on but so far it has been better than I imagined and she is enjoying the experience. Good luck to you and your player.

Salary varies from a little over $20k to about $100k (for players getting allocation money). Benefits include an apartment and medical. Endorsements unfortunately go to the players with some name recognition and not something that most players get. They were introduced at an NBA game the other day. It's a labor of love until you become somebody and hopefully then it is still a labor of love. For my player soccer isn't her endgame. It is harbor that she is docked in for now. She is thinking about getting a masters in public policy and is studying LSAT prep books. Her roommate was already admitted to law school but is deferring her enrollment until she finishes her soccer career. So far everyone has been amazing.

Good luck to you and your player.
Can a player who is top 50% make a living without outside job or help from parents who have a few bucks? Basically, can a poor girl from LA or Victorville make a living playing pro soccer ball? Nothing against all the hoopla at NBA game, some of these girls need a true pathway to make a buck or they will be working a real job. We need real pay for all the work these girls have done to make millions for most of the men and a few girls in the industry.

Can a player who is top 50% make a living without outside job or help from parents who have a few bucks? Basically, can a poor girl from LA or Victorville make a living playing pro soccer ball? Nothing against all the hoopla at NBA game, some of these girls need a true pathway to make a buck or they will be working a real job. We need real pay for all the work these girls have done to make millions for most of the men and a few girls in the industry.

Maybe overseas but no woman is going to get rich doing it unless she has >50 caps.

Maybe overseas but no woman is going to get rich doing it unless she has >50 caps.
I'm just looking for raw facts. MP made some coin and maybe a few others. Is it possible for a poor girl from LA who is good, but not super good like OM, make $50,000 a year as 18 year old? Skip college can go Pro like OM? How much is Sophie Smith going to make?

Yeah this is a super helpful thread! We’re in the thick of it and I have a question:

My daughter attended an excellent multiple school ID camp recently and within a moth, got invitedby three different coaches to attend their on-campus camps. One of the invites is Stanford. Are the schools sending the same invitation to everyone on the multiple school camp list so they can fill quota? Or, are they actually inviting players they are genuinely interested in? Thanks.
Stanford recruits the very best in the country. If your daughter is not a national team player or very close to it, then likely a mass email (in other words, revenue generating email to get players to their camp). As others have said, if a coach is interested, they find a way to let you know (contacting your coach)— even if before the timing they can formally can speak with her.

Not a question that I can answer other than to say that my kid has an apartment and income and hasn't asked me to deposit any money in her account or reimburse her for any expenses since I left her for the airport over a month ago and that is now officially a record. She is a rookie and her deal is above minimum but definitely is on the lower end of the scale. I can only say what I have seen with her team and they are doing a great job taking care of her and letting her continue to play the game that she loves without me having to subsidize it.

Stanford recruits the very best in the country. If your daughter is not a national team player or very close to it, then likely a mass email (in other words, revenue generating email to get players to their camp). As others have said, if a coach is interested, they find a way to let you know (contacting your coach)— even if before the timing they can formally can speak with her.
Yeah we’ll she’s not on YNT or close so we’re helping to subsidize the program. :(

But as @outside! said a few hours ago, she’s going anyway, enjoying a few days on campus and giving it all.

When considering which camps to possibly attend look at the youth credentials of the women on their team. Where most of them DA/ECNL players? On youth national teams? Then compare your kids credentials and potential to those players. If your kid matches up then send them. If not I would focus your attention elsewhere unless you have been directly invited to camp through contact with the coach. Remember almost all of these camps are just fundraisers for the team.

Remember almost all of these camps are just fundraisers for the team.
In our experience, the summer camps were mostly fundraisers. Some of the winter camps seemed more focused on actually finding recruits. Of course the winter camps interfere with HS soccer due to CIF's apparent intent to make sure soccer players do not play in college.

Back