President Joe Biden

Anyone catch Biden's speech the other day? I'd be interested to hear thoughts...

Hmm... my analysis is China is a manufacturing powerhouse, which makes shipping lanes like the Panama Canal vital. While Taiwan without privileged access to 'western' universities and markets is just another island off the coast of China.
TransitAndCargoDataModel - Datos 12-29-2020.xlsm (pancanal.com)

China has < 10% of the traffic and is a distant second to the US.

I still don't get the comparison between Taiwan & Panama. I agree Taiwan is just another island off China.

Anyone catch Biden's speech the other day? I'd be interested to hear thoughts...
No one cares (not the overwhelming majority that is) that’s the beauty of it! Nice sedate, boring governance once again without all the bluster, bullshit and theatrics. No lies, no rhetoric, no demonizing, no hate, no avoiding questions or giving cryptic non-answers involving racism and other no-brainer should be softball questions, no pandering to the base, no calls for completely insane ideas like nuking storms, putting light inside the body, ingesting bleach, no pandering to dictators, no disrespecting the military, US intelligence, law enforcement, governors, mayors, no bringing up personal feuds, no mocking the disabled, no talk of women not being of a standard he would consider sexually assaulting, no complete blunders involving history, no gaslighting. Boring governance.

“Are you not entertained!”

No one cares (not the overwhelming majority that is) that’s the beauty of it! Nice sedate, boring governance once again without all the bluster, bullshit and theatrics. No lies, no rhetoric, no demonizing, no hate, no avoiding questions or giving cryptic non-answers involving racism and other no-brainer should be softball questions, no pandering to the base, no calls for completely insane ideas like nuking storms, putting light inside the body, ingesting bleach, no pandering to dictators, no disrespecting the military, US intelligence, law enforcement, governors, mayors, no bringing up personal feuds, no mocking the disabled, no talk of women not being of a standard he would consider sexually assaulting, no complete blunders involving history, no gaslighting. Boring governance.

It's kind of odd. Republicans normally do better in low turnout elections, and traditionally put forward candidates who look boring and trustworthy. Democrats normally need higher turnout, and benefit from high attention candidates.

Now they've flipped. Republicans are nominating loons and Democrats have doubled down on respectable.

Personally I would prefer someone between bluster and boring, or as I think of it, bully and milquetoast. I don't think going from one extreme to another is beneficial to our country, but that's our typical knee jerk reaction.

It's kind of odd. Republicans normally do better in low turnout elections, and traditionally put forward candidates who look boring and trustworthy. Democrats normally need higher turnout, and benefit from high attention candidates.

Now they've flipped. Republicans are nominating loons and Democrats have doubled down on respectable.
It's crazy how much has flipped, Democrats that were once the party of free speech, now promote censorship. Democrats once represented the blue collar worker and now the Republicans do.

I think we'd be better off with politicians that represented their constituents, instead of the party line. We need more Manchins and Cheneys.

Personally I would prefer someone between bluster and boring, or as I think of it, bully and milquetoast. I don't think going from one extreme to another is beneficial to our country, but that's our typical knee jerk reaction.

It's crazy how much has flipped, Democrats that were once the party of free speech, now promote censorship. Democrats once represented the blue collar worker and now the Republicans do.

I think we'd be better off with politicians that represented their constituents, instead of the party line. We need more Manchins and Cheneys.

If a lie is repeated enough times, someone will believe it.

We are all free to our own opinions but not our own facts.

The Whigs died off as a national political party when they couldn't agree on a single position about slavery.

Is the current Republican Party (coincidentally, the primary benefactor of the demise of the Whigs) headed for a similar fate, broken on disagreement about t's treasonous behavior? If only 10% of current Republicans become Democrats, form a new Rational Party (perhaps under some other name than that), or just stay home, the Party will lose its national stature. It will still have power in some states (e.g. Montana, Alabama, South Carolina) but will otherwise disappear.

The Whigs died off as a national political party when they couldn't agree on a single position about slavery.

Is the current Republican Party (coincidentally, the primary benefactor of the demise of the Whigs) headed for a similar fate, broken on disagreement about t's treasonous behavior? If only 10% of current Republicans become Democrats, form a new Rational Party (perhaps under some other name than that), or just stay home, the Party will lose its national stature. It will still have power in some states (e.g. Montana, Alabama, South Carolina) but will otherwise disappear.
For once we agree…I would take it a step further and say the Conservative Dems should do the same to separate themselves from the “WOKE” far left. The 2 groups who breakaway could likely get together as they have several overlapping views in common and form their own Centralist party.

Yeah I agree that some days Biden seems old. Then a couple days later he's rolling past reporters on a mountain bike. If I had to bet, my $10 would be Harris is going to finish out President Biden's 4 year term but who knows. I'll admit Harris somehow isn't the type of politico that makes my heart go pitter-patter- but she is smart and pragmatic. Let's just hope Biden is able to teach her how to do a better running the country then she did running a presidential campaign.

As to Biden's son? From what I understand Trump was calling up world leaders and threatening American aid if they didn't dig up dirt on Biden's son... and it doesn't seem to me like it lead to much? Sort of like Trumps election fraud commission. That said, if something is 'really' there that somehow wasn't yet uncovered; then of course all bets are off. Though personally I'm doubtful.

Also I agree Trumps not going to fade away. However to keep himself in the newspapers he is going to naturally have to keep raising the bar in order to inject himself into the conversation. If Mitch thinks he's got a diva on his hands now, I would tell him to buckle his seat belt.
"From what I understand"

Please continue.

TransitAndCargoDataModel - Datos 12-29-2020.xlsm (pancanal.com)

China has < 10% of the traffic and is a distant second to the US.

I still don't get the comparison between Taiwan & Panama. I agree Taiwan is just another island off China.

Without going back and reading my old posts, I think was trying to imagine a scenario where the US might make a hard power move- which was comparable to the Chinese asserting control over Taiwan and Hong Kong. As in- if you are okay with China breaking treaties and simply taking control over Taiwan, are you also okay with the USA annexing Panama?

Personally I'm not okay with the US just taking over Panama. I'm not okay with China taking over Taiwan. The breaking treaties, annexing of territory... only leads to war. This is why, imho we need to dig our heels in now and not tolerate behavior that will encourage military aggression down the road.

I thought this was an interesting piece by David Frum in the Atlantic. After passing a giant COVID Relief bill, Democrat's momentum seems to have stalled. Take for example the Voting Rights Bill... how the heck did they dems not get it passed?

Without going back and reading my old posts, I think was trying to imagine a scenario where the US might make a hard power move- which was comparable to the Chinese asserting control over Taiwan and Hong Kong. As in- if you are okay with China breaking treaties and simply taking control over Taiwan, are you also okay with the USA annexing Panama?

Personally I'm not okay with the US just taking over Panama. I'm not okay with China taking over Taiwan. The breaking treaties, annexing of territory... only leads to war. This is why, imho we need to dig our heels in now and not tolerate behavior that will encourage military aggression down the road.
I'm not sure what treaty you are referring to. China had a treaty with the UK over Hong Kong and when it expired China took control, as per the treaty. HK was Chinese and always had been. Similarly Taiwan has always been part of China. Its "independence" is a result of a civil war. The US doesn't even have formal diplomatic relations with Taiwan although it does have a security agreement - that is anomalous. So historically, Taiwan is part of China. China still considers it to be. China wouldn't be breaking any treaties if it decided to "take it back".

Panama is an independent country, some might say created by the US when it was carved out of Columbia, but independent nonetheless. Obviously the US has deep interests there and has been very "involved", but its never claimed that Panama is part of the US and that it intends to "take it back" at some point.

There's a big difference between taking back and taking over. I'm not in favor of either. There are very few things worth going to war over IMO, never mind 2 super powers going to war. If China decided to take Taiwan by force, that wouldn't be worth WW3 and mutual mass destruction.

As for "encouraging military aggression", are you talking about the US or China. There are obviously a very long list of examples of the US for this wrt external actions of military aggression, and I can't really of any except Nepal wrt China (PRC). Simply put, in this context, the US (govt) couldn't find or recognize the moral high ground if it was standing on it and looking at the sign.

If a lie is repeated enough times, someone will believe it.
It started in a market..
He hung himself..
There was no fraud..
It started in Dec of 19'..
Mask protect you..

Gota say that was probably one of you're best post ever!! Well, to be honest, I didn't go back and read the last year plus of post from you...

Back