Nor Cal GDA Teams - What's Next

lol. OK, got it.

Almaden is a decent cub. A club that would need to combine with another local club to really hit a good level though. Non ECNL clubs that are solid in South Bay are Santa Clara Sporting, Palo Alto, PSV union. Los Gatos is very up and coming since they have quality leadership now/money in that area. Lots of questions to be answered in the next 6 week or so.
Shaun Tsakiris is doing an amazing job at LGU. I've been following their instagram and they are making a lot of smart moves. (E.G. FT Strength and Conditioning Coach; Dedicated Futsal training, etc. ) Their 09s girls went quite far in State Cup (top bracket) and their 09 boys won State Cup. (top bracket) That said, they have a ways to go before fielding any elite teams. They need more players and yes fields are an issue.

I'm told there is a new club in the South Bay called BA (Bay Area) FC. EQ girls, if they choose to, will roll right into this club. Coaching staff as well. Same practice facilities at twin creeks. Hopefully, this is the case and no one is displaced.

I'm told there is a new club in the South Bay called BA (Bay Area) FC. EQ girls, if they choose to, will roll right into this club. Coaching staff as well. Same practice facilities at twin creeks. Hopefully, this is the case and no one is displaced.
Most importantly, where are they playing? Can they get into nor cal after all the new clubs were announced a few weeks ago. Get into NPL? Maybe GA if there are nor cal teams doing that. I think that's the biggest question to answer at this point. Those are some expensive field fees at twin creeks but nice to have many fields to train on.

I would day yes to Quakes/BBA getting into NorCal. The Director Andres Deza has a position in Nor Cal u11-u13 Coordinator. GA is an unknown at this point.

I would day yes to Quakes/BBA getting into NorCal. The Director Andres Deza has a position in Nor Cal u11-u13 Coordinator. GA is an unknown at this point.
If it's via BBA, agree. This sounds like it may be separate though otherwise why the new club name? If applying as a new club, it's not as simple as you may think. If simply saying BBA with new staff/players, then yes since BBA is a NPL club already.

If it's via BBA, agree. This sounds like it may be separate though otherwise why the new club name? If applying as a new club, it's not as simple as you may think. If simply saying BBA with new staff/players, then yes since BBA is a NPL club already.
I believe BBA and BAFC are two different clubs.

I believe BBA and BAFC are two different clubs.
I believe it is BBA & LLC working together. We have seen a few of these types of club cooperations recently, whatever you want to call them. So they will probably have one of those clubs transfer over their NPL designation. However, the window for new clubs to apply for this season is long gone and it probably wouldn't be well received by the other clubs if this new club was given special treatment based on having someone on the NorCal staff. My guess would be that because of the circumstances, COVID and GDA being cut, NorCal would allow it based on the unusual circumstances, which would seem reasonable to me.

No ECNL! Placer's a great club and has good teams. Placer applied for ECNL but was denied! Pretty sad!
Yes, unfortunate. Good enough to be there but with San Juan and Davis in their region already that didn't help. I imagine SJ was heavily against them joining from a competition standpoint. Dominate NPL and try to get in next year.

Placer. Good club but it's a numbers game. ECNL teams travel in pairs. If San Juan was as weak as SRU or Marin they could have replaced them.

San Juan/ Davis

Rage/Mustang

Marin/ SRU

MVLA/Thorns

Placer. Good club but it's a numbers game. ECNL teams travel in pairs. If San Juan was as weak as SRU or Marin they could have replaced them.

San Juan/ Davis

Rage/Mustang

Marin/ SRU

MVLA/Thorns
I think you have a clear top 4:
San Juan
MVLA
Thorns
Mustang

With the other 4 clubs, it depends on the age group but SRU seems to be clearly the bottom. The other 3 clubs it's a mix of whose stronger depending on the age group. Marin at a disadvantage the first year since they never had tryouts as a ecnl club.

Imagine most parts of the country there is a clear top few teams and then the next group.

I believe it is BBA & LLC working together. We have seen a few of these types of club cooperations recently, whatever you want to call them. So they will probably have one of those clubs transfer over their NPL designation. However, the window for new clubs to apply for this season is long gone and it probably wouldn't be well received by the other clubs if this new club was given special treatment based on having someone on the NorCal staff. My guess would be that because of the circumstances, COVID and GDA being cut, NorCal would allow it based on the unusual circumstances, which would seem reasonable to me.
New club is fcbayarea.org. This is the former Quakes GDA entity. It is AD led and will have all the same coaches. They have agreements with BBA and Liverpool who I assume will get some level of training and the chance to be feeder clubs. They are playing in NPL and have been pointing out that leagues don't matter. The challenge is whether they can make a go of it. Will they have the money and interest? They want to train at Twin Creeks, but it is super expensive. So, if they don't get enough players they won't be able to afford Twin Creeks. Also who is to say that AD doesn't get this off the ground and leave in a year. His daughter could finish college and he could go anywhere. Or somebody could offer him a high-profile DOC/leadership role and he could bail. Still a lot to iron out.

Back