Nor Cal GDA Teams - What's Next

Free Kick

BRONZE
I'd really like to hear from anyone with a daughter who played at one of the Nor Cal GDA programs (Thorns, EQ, Lamorinada, Placer). Anything in store for all those kids? Feel awful for those displaced players and parents. Hopefully, those clubs/teams stay intact and latch on somewhere.

I'd really like to hear from anyone with a daughter who played at one of the Nor Cal GDA programs (Thorns, EQ, Lamorinada, Placer). Anything in store for all those kids? Feel awful for those displaced players and parents. Hopefully, those clubs/teams stay intact and latch on somewhere.

My DD doesn't play for them but we have some friends that do on Thorns and EQ. Unfortunately, a lot of those players have hefty commutes. I can't imagine them continuing to do that without the luster. If you look at the teams, their hometowns are listed. Some drive nearly 2 hours one way. I'll never understand why... but it's their choice.

Placer applied for ECNL about a month ago... so they knew or suspected this was coming. I can't imagine them getting it, though. You'll see San Juan and Davis get some new faces at tryouts. LMAO! Some will be familiar faces coming back with their tales between their legs.

I have no idea what these NorCal DA clubs will do, maybe take the Tournament route if the administrators can convince their players to stay although I think that would be a mistake. The one age group I am interested to see how it pans out is the 2004 Girls. MVLA has one of the top 04 ECNL teams in the country and the Quakes had one of the top DA teams in the country. If the quakes girls left for MVLA, they could potentially be one for the best girls teams we've ever seen talent wise. MVLA's 2nd team in that age group would be able to compete with anyone except maybe their first team.

I have no idea what these NorCal DA clubs will do, maybe take the Tournament route if the administrators can convince their players to stay although I think that would be a mistake. The one age group I am interested to see how it pans out is the 2004 Girls. MVLA has one of the top 04 ECNL teams in the country and the Quakes had one of the top DA teams in the country. If the quakes girls left for MVLA, they could potentially be one for the best girls teams we've ever seen talent wise. MVLA's 2nd team in that age group would be able to compete with anyone except maybe their first team.
I think many of those quakes girls will go to Mustang...maybe?

Talking to some friends in Nor Cal, they are scrambling right now. With no tryouts for awhile, I suppose it buys time to form a plan if their club doesn't get into ECNL. Some seem to think no clubs up there may be added at this point. Nothing for certain, just talk.

In terms of those Quakes kids, it depends where they live. They are known to get kids to drive from literally all over to play so it will be interesting. Like down here how some clubs have a say in preventing top clubs like Beach and Legends into ECNL, I'm sure the big clubs are doing the same up north.

DeAnza/Baicher/Deza chose wrong and placed their entire bet on the wrong horse when this GDA/ECNL thing went down a few years ago. They way they went about it wasn’t very graceful, to put it mildly, and left a bad taste in the mouths of the local clubs and ECNL. It will be interesting if either of them will be allowed back in, and I’m sure they will have to mend a lot of fences to have that opportunity again.

Placer boys have been accepted into ECNL. Since the girls had more success than the boys on the DA side, my guess is that the girls will be in ECNL as well

DeAnza/Baicher/Deza chose wrong and placed their entire bet on the wrong horse when this GDA/ECNL thing went down a few years ago. They way they went about it wasn’t very graceful, to put it mildly, and left a bad taste in the mouths of the local clubs and ECNL. It will be interesting if either of them will be allowed back in, and I’m sure they will have to mend a lot of fences to have that opportunity again.
Bro, I was so pissed off during my dd national championship run in 2017. I believe that coaches quick decision messed up one of the top teams in the country when they were De Anza. I guess he did a "cut and run" mid season over to the new GDA League and kept that team from being eligible for the Far West Regional playoffs. The US Youth Championship is the oldest soccer trophy in the country. We should honor that cup no matter what league you play in or age group. Why did he bail so early like that Baller?

Bro, I was so pissed off during my dd national championship run in 2017. I believe that coaches quick decision messed up one of the top teams in the country when they were De Anza. I guess he did a "cut and run" mid season over to the new GDA League and kept that team from being eligible for the Far West Regional playoffs. The US Youth Championship is the oldest soccer trophy in the country. We should honor that cup no matter what league you play in or age group. Why did he bail so early like that Baller?
The good days of having a real national champion. USYS Championships. Those regionals and nationals were some fun games.

Based on what I know, it sure isn't helping Quakes or Thorns get into ECNL how that all went down previously. Hopefully ECNL just makes everything final soon so everyone knows exactly the situation.

04 Quakes girls are impressive and commute from all over NorCal to play for Desa and they did forfeit some of their last games in ECNL when the DA started. They will be an interesting watch! Thorns girls side I don't think deals as much with Baicher as before and have less girls traveling to play there, will also be an interesting watch. LAMO is a smaller club with some definite talent on the squads, but not sure good enough to make the Mustang squad that seems to have improved alot in the last 6 months. Placer similar to LAMO -- San Juan might be hard for them to make, but Davis doesn't seem to be as strong at the 04 age. With all of the ECNL teams playing NPL, that might not be a bad way for the DA clubs to go in the short run and save the parents a boatload of cash!

04 Quakes girls are impressive and commute from all over NorCal to play for Desa and they did forfeit some of their last games in ECNL when the DA started. They will be an interesting watch! Thorns girls side I don't think deals as much with Baicher as before and have less girls traveling to play there, will also be an interesting watch. LAMO is a smaller club with some definite talent on the squads, but not sure good enough to make the Mustang squad that seems to have improved alot in the last 6 months. Placer similar to LAMO -- San Juan might be hard for them to make, but Davis doesn't seem to be as strong at the 04 age. With all of the ECNL teams playing NPL, that might not be a bad way for the DA clubs to go in the short run and save the parents a boatload of cash!
They never played ECNL. It was U13 and that Desa coach bailed mid way through the season for greener pasture. Why did he quit mid season? Does anyone know from NoCal the truth? I've heard lot's of rumors but their just that, a rumor. NoCal 04s are really good.

They never played ECNL. It was U13 and that Desa coach bailed mid way through the season for greener pasture. Why did he quit mid season? Does anyone know from NoCal the truth? I've heard lot's of rumors but their just that, a rumor. NoCal 04s are really good.
Quakes didn't play ECNL, but the current Quakes 04 were the DeAnza Force ECNL girls with Desa as the coach. They bailed when Desa was hired by Quakes as the head of the girls academy (or something like that). He took that team with him and some others at older ages as well.

There’s a 37 page thread about it on the old NorCal board. Might be worth the read if you want to entertained during the Coronavirus quarantine. The drama in that club and their exit from ECNL was wild. http://nocalsoccer.com/index.php?threads/the-rise-and-fall-of-de-anza-force.997/

Ha Classic. I remember all that drama. Deza is a very good coach but morally a different story. As long as your kids getting national team looks all is good though! What's ironic is both Deza and Baicher likely left out of ECNL girls after all of this. Or at least for now.

04's in Nor Cal is a strong age group.

Not sure why they bailed, but NorCal’s top teams and clubs don’t normally play in CalNorth, which is required to participate in the Far West Regionals. The top clubs/teams here participate in the NorCal Premier league, and the CalNorth(USYS) league is only a level or two above rec here. Surprises me that DeAnza was even in it that year.

Not sure why they bailed, but NorCal’s top teams and clubs don’t normally play in CalNorth, which is required to participate in the Far West Regionals. The top clubs/teams here participate in the NorCal Premier league, and the CalNorth(USYS) league is only a level or two above rec here. Surprises me that DeAnza was even in it that year.
I know, after we won the USYS Championship I found out their were other "National Championships." I had no idea and of course bragged about it and the well imformed soccer dads let me know kindly that we can;t claim to be the true #1 team. Its all good :) Our Semi final game was 8-0 against that PAC Rim team I think.

The story was the top clubs wanted a bigger focus on premier and less focus on rec-bronze.

many clubs do both leagues. CalNorth for rec-silver. NorCal for the top teams.

I have heard of a few teams in the middle signing up for both. (top team at a mid level club)

Assuming Deza is still coaching locally next season, I'd be surprised if there was any mass exodus from his teams - especially the '04 team. My perception is that the primary reason girls play for Quakes is Deza.
Well, according to all the sage advice here, all those players need to follow Coach Deza wherever he ends up. Let us know what happens. A lot of those 04 are going to UCLA too and we all know it was because of the coach that made them ready in 8th grade. Let;s see if this philosophy holds true with that Quakes team.

Back